BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. rgc1248

rgc1248 Advrider wannabe

Oddometer:
    Just when I think the Rs are not good looking, someone proves me wrong.... Good job, Paikia

-Rafa
  2. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    That's the first 75th Anniversary R I've seen with alloy wheels.

Fred
  3. Paikia44

Paikia44 n00b

Oddometer:
    Most of the R1100Rs here are running on alloy rims. One which I know on spokes were actually transplanted from a GS.

But I'm trying to get a pair of R1100R original spoke rims through my mechanic. Hopefully it'll materialise soon.
  4. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

Just bought a R1200R and as a tank bag kind of guy, I am looking for some suggestions.

A couple of requirements though.

Though I have a GPS, I still like to have a map for the big picture and need a map pocket that will fit a double fold of a map without destroying it with a teeny tiny opening that you have to contort the map through and then fit to an irregular shape. Why do the designers do that? Please give me a nice rectangular map pocket witha nice wide opening that a double fold of a map slides right in to.

A rain cover that actually keeps the rain out. Especially if you have to buy it as an option.

And of course it has to fit the lines of my R bike well and have enough room to keep my stuff.

If you got a pic with your bag on your bike, please post them up.

Thanks!

Rick G
  5. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Look here

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22896480&postcount=1321

Map cases on both have full width openings. BC map case is removable and not on in pic. BC bag came with a rain cover the Wolfy was optional.
  6. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my BMW tank bag. I have had it since 07 so it is worn and I have had the zippers repaired but it is built better than any others I have seen. It needs no rain cover. I reckon if I were going to buy an other brand it would be a Wolfman.
  7. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride. Got it just before the cold eh? :D Was that one on CL locally?

I too was thinking there was different seat options. I have ridden my buddy's R1150 and I find myself cramped on it (6'2" 35" inseam). Will be curious to see what you find and do with yours. I really want to trade my Triumph S4 for an R of some sort. I like the looks of the 1100 also. Of course if I had the money, a 1200 would be my first pick. Thanks all for posting pics of your lovely bikes!
  8. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    I use the RKA on my Roadster. It lays flat on the top, is about 3 inches deep, and like you, I wanted a large map pocket to display two panels of a standard (AAA) road map. There are larger models available, but I like a low profile. The rain cover is in that little zipped pouch on the rear, though I rarely use it.

Fred

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. txplants

txplants Pastafarian

Oddometer:
    Hi, Rick,

I'm very pleased with the Wolfman Explorer Lite. I also have the removable rain cover that folds down to nothing and can be stored in the rear pocket. It looks excellent on the bike too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...ditto on the RKA, holds enough, expands, well made.

[​IMG]
  11. Rick G

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

So far I kind of like the Wolfman Explorer Lite. I had an RKA on my GS and liked it. But, I had a bad run in with the owner at the BMW National over his rain covers which he charges you for and don't even keep out the morning dew. Sorry Rant over.

I also have to look more closely at the ones that attach to the gas ring.

Happy Holidays!

Rick G
  12. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the small RKA

[​IMG]
  13. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    That, I do understand. He is very sensitive to any criticism of his products or request for minor modification. (It's funny that the mods I wanted eventually turned up in his later versions.) I've had three RKA tank bags for my two Roadsters and tolerated him throughout simply because the RKA tank bag was/is still best design for the R.

I like Wolfman products, too, though they are more floppy on the tank than my RKA bags, especially the front edge. I use a Wolfman Express tank bag and Peak tail bag on my F800GS, and sold the Wolfman Denali (now Rainier) which was just too tall for my tastes. If you buy Wolfman, you will need the accessory "plain paper map pocket" to display two panels of a standard map.

Fred
  14. Rick G

Oddometer:

It is a shame about RKA and the arrogance of their owner as I really liked that Tankbag, rain cover excepted. In the spirit of the season, I may have to forgive him and look past our run in and order it anyway. If I do, I may go custom and get the red piping to match my bike. Then I will take his POS raincover and spray the hell out of it with Camp Dry and use tent seam sealer to attempt to make it just a tad water resistant.

Rick G
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not uncommon for condensation to form under the rain cover, or even in the map pocket, on any tank bag.

Paul
  16. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick,
    I have had my Bags Connection Engage for quite a while and love it. This bag fits everything I need + more, and the accessory map bag attaches easily and securely - and shows a double-page view of any roadmap. The lines of this bag don't really 'quite' fit the tank lines, but it is only noticeable at a low-side view. The raincover included covers securely, and will also cover it completely if you have the map pouch attached ... ridden all damn day in the rain and never had an issue. Also - the zip opening on the map pocket is longer than the end of the bag, so it is easy to pull pages.

Some shots from my install:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll have to look for a better shot showing the raincover on over the map pouch ... but you can see it a bit here (note the clear panel to view the map):
    [​IMG]
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention that it will hold a 6-pack ... though a 4 fits better :D

[​IMG]
  18. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did I mention that the BMW bag need no rain cover and is super well built?
  19. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Yup, the yellow one that was in the Fort Collins CL.

I looked at the Rockster that was in Denver for the same asking price ($4k) but it was night and day. The rockster was stored outside, no battery tender, scratches on the case from a low-speed low-side, busted and scratched up system cases, wires hanging down from some botched accessory addition, no current title or registration, and the owner wouldn't start it for me because it was too cold.

By contrast, the Fort Collins bike was pristine, gorgeous, stored in a nice garage next to 3 other bikes, had properly wired accessories, included extras like the bar-backs and extra footpegs, had all the original paperwork and the original manual, and I was even able to talk him down a few hundred bucks from his asking price. Only glitch in the deal was that it was advertised as a 2004 (which would have been a twin-spark) but it was actually a 2002 single-spark.

Don't care though as the Dakar Yellow/Ferro Gray color combo is by far my favorite. I also prefer the dash layout of the R vs the Rockster.

I'll post up whatever I figure out. Right now I just need to put more miles on the bike so I can figure out what I need to do before the real "riding season" starts.
  20. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Good deal! Ya, that poor Rockster is a mess eh? Maybe for $2500 and sort it all, but not for the price he is asking- Well, no title either? Good luck with that sale.

Have fun with the Beakster- nice color for sure. They are a blast to ride and cruise on. I put some fair miles on my buddies even two up with my wife and son (not at the same time :lol3) and it was comfortable other that the seat for me- like you said, tank crotch crushing! I'll own one one day.

Oh, and some pics from a local ride we did up in the hills. We all need more pics when winter hits... :puke1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]