BMW R100GS & R100, bolt on Brembo 4 Piston Caliper Upgrade

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by One Less Harley, Oct 10, 2010.

1. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    As of today 2/16/2018 Two calipers are on the way!!!!! Just in time for Spring weather...if there are any takers out here let me know and I can make sure I have pads and stainless lines ordered if needed!!!
  2. wbm

wbm I ride.

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a caliper! I already have a stainless line.
  3. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I have one with your name on it and should be ready by the end of the weekend...I've got four calipers to get ready. and one unsold
  4. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
  5. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    There are two left, one with pads..and one caliper only (needs machining)
  6. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    It's been drawn to my attention that there MAY be fitting issues with some EBC pads which fit the four pot Brembos. This includes BMW R1100xx, R1200C, K1100xx and also four pot Brembo conversions.

On a recently sold Brembo conversion for a R1100GS and EBC FAC407 pads (organic), a customer was having issues with the pads fitting very snug in the caliper, and with very little to no movement on the retaining pin. The caliper and pads were returned for inspection. The locating pin was inspected for wear or alignment issues and none were found. Other brake pads and calipers were checked and the problem was isolated to recently purchased EBC FAC407 organic pads.

The "tabs" were binding on the front and rear bolts which hold the caliper together and help keep the pads in alignment. I had old EBC pads on hand one set of Organic and two stinterd sets. One of the stintered pads was binding also. The other two sets fit freely in the caliper as they should.

The pointer shows where the issue is. A tight fit on the bolts at the "ears" of the brake pad backing plate.
    [​IMG]

I assume the issue could be cause by worn stamping machinery. There is a slightly raised amount of metal cause by the cutting? of the dies. I don't think this alone is enough to cause binding, but that is just my opinion.

[​IMG]

The area at both "ears" was finessed with a dremel. No need to remove very much material.

upload_2018-9-21_18-9-50.jpeg
    [​IMG]

The recently purchased pads on top with fitting issues. The pads on the bottom were from a used set of calipers and had no fitting issues. They moved freely within the caliper. Note the texture difference on the two backing plates.

[​IMG]

The Organic EBC are my favorite type pads I will still use them even though dremel work is needed to make them fit. I Also assume this problem will affect ALL EBC pads which fit the above mentioned bikes. My reasoning is the stamping used is the same no mater what pad compound is chosen.
  7. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie Robbiemyboy

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Can i get a caliber and pads for my 1989 R100GS when you have some ready please?

Thanks
  8. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I have one with pads, but shipping to you might be shocking??? PM me your shipping info
  9. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I have a 1993 R100GS-PD with stock front brakes. Are you still making your Brembo four-piston upgrade kits?
  10. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    9/9/2018- I'll soon have two sets of calipers and EBC pads on hand...been selling fewer of these...wonder if I've flooded the market by now?? LOL. PM me if you need a set..
  11. likepotatochips

likepotatochips n00b

Oddometer:
    I'd like to buy the last caliper and pads for sale (as of 8/25/18) @ $275.00 plus $15.00 for S&H totaling $290.00. Paypal friends and family is fine, please send me the details. The brake will be going on a 1994 BMW GSPD with stock forks and stock master cylinder. I'll probably opt for the EBC rotor from Ted Porter as well. If you have sourced the threaded lines since the 8/25/18 post I'd buy those as well.
    Thanks
  12. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    pm'd you.....thanks....9/16/2018 One set left
  13. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    doing a little pressure checking, will leave it over night and inspect for leaks.

upload_2018-9-22_13-57-52.jpeg
  14. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    12/27/2018-one set of calipers with pads awaiting needy bike
  15. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Non-paid endorsement here. This is a great mod for your GSPD. Coupled with stainless braided brake lines makes it a new bike brake wise.
  16. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's always good to hear good reports about these things. Just something I keep messing with over the years...wow been over 8 years now....I enjoy putting them out for old R100GS's...I wonder if there are any GS's in the USA with OEM 2 pot brakes now...:hmmmmm
  17. chlowden

chlowden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello
    I currently have a R100GS with a Brembo PS13 master cylinder and Brembo 2 pistons caliper. Can someone tell me if the Brembo PS13 master cylinder is big enough to cover a Brembo 4 pistons caliper upgrade? Thanks
  18. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure of my Master number, but the stock Master runs my 4 piston just fine. I do recommend the stainless brake line upgrade.
  19. chlowden

chlowden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cannot find a generic Brembo reference for stock BMW master cylinders, or any detailed specs on the BMW master cylinders. The Brembo PS13 is a classic Master cylinder that was mounted on many bikes of a similar weight through the 1980's and 90's. It also looks rather similar. Thanks for the suggestion.
  20. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    if it's a 13mm bore then it will be fine. 12mm give the most braking but has a little more lever travel. 13mm is good. anything over 13 mm is too big...