BMW R1100GS - Customise into scrambler + Wiring Diagrams

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Lorenzoenzo, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Lorenzoenzo

Lorenzoenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, long time lurker here!
    I am a proud owner of a BMW R1100GS (1997) which I have fallen in love with.

I aim to customise its appearance into a scrambler sort of look, without altering its wonderful driving experience.

The wiring harness is a colourful loom of spaghetti all moulded together with a metric ton of sticky tape and 23 year-old sleeves that fall to bits just by gazing at them. Under the wonderfully comfortable seat is a plethora of fuses and relays that remind me its age.

I got her a new battery and removed as much of the electrical tape as I could because it had polymerised and become a sticky black goo. Finally, I wrapped the wiring harness with new tape and tidied up with a myriad of zip ties.

I would very much like to modernise and 'improve' this lovely motorcycle. I place the word in quotes as it is fully functional and a joy to drive as is. The enhancements would be purely electrical and cosmetic - specifically fairing, seat, lights, switches, and instruments.

I am sure customising a bike like this in any capacity is a distasteful notion and considered sacrilege to some, and I get it. I bought it fully stock with the idea to do radical changes, but the more I looked at it and rode it, the less I wanted to alter it.

That being said and what I need your help with is the electrical upgrade. I would like to install a motogadget mo.unit blue and motoscope pro. My goal is to simplify, modernise and trim down the wiring harness while featuring a single minimalistic instrument at the handlebars. I will of course preserve the motronic module for stability and safety. Everything else, I'd like to hook up to the mo.unit and eliminate fuses and as many relays as possible.

I have been searching for many days for a detailed wiring diagram of how to completely migrate a R1100 over to a motogadget setup and have not found anything. If anyone can point me to such a diagram or can shed some light on how to put one together please let me know.

Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

P.S. I am attaching some photos of my bike Hilde from the day i got her up to today and a bonus picture of my impeccable Photoshop skills illustrating my vision.

Attached Files:

2. Lorenzoenzo

Lorenzoenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for the engine and peripherals' wiring diagrams for a R1100GS (1997) here they are!

Attached Files:

krellheat likes this.
  3. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    You could probably achieve most of what you want easily with gear from Unit Garage.
    Lorenzoenzo likes this.
  4. Lorenzoenzo

Lorenzoenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Three Dawg, I am a big fan of the Unit Garage catalog. I occasionally look through their site for inspiration, adding desired items to my cart, but then I see a 4-digit price tag and I promptly close the browser tab in despair. From the configurator on their site, I managed to get put this together which I find to be quite the head-turner! (attached pic)

Unit Garage actually offers something that caught my eye, an Acewell speedometer seemingly tailored for a BMW R1100GS.
    https://www.unitgarage.com/digital_instrumentation_with_support_1

I wonder how tricky/trivial it would be to install an Acewell speedometer such as this, would be plug&play or would work be needed on the bike's harness? The latter is hinted in the product's description. I also wonder how this Unit Garage version differs exactly from the stock instrument sold by Acewell.

Not the exact same model as that advertised in the links above but, I'd pick this Acewell speedo for me.
    https://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell Speedometers/ACE-80mm/CA80-120.htm?action=full&id=337
    Suits my needs perfectly (if I can hook up all inputs!!).
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Lorenzo

Attached Files:

5. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lorenzoenzo likes this.
  6. Lorenzoenzo

Lorenzoenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, browsing through it all now! Thanks for forwarding @neppi !
    neppi likes this.
  7. Lorenzoenzo

Lorenzoenzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

It's been a couple of months since I last posted and I hope all of you are well!

I have started planning next steps with customising Hilde, my 1997 R1100GS. I took a photo of the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual and have been photoshopping it to incorporate a Motogadget m.unit. Of course my knowledge is limited on this topic, though I have learnt a lot through research and forums such as this. I am grateful for any replies I receive!

The main complexity with my bike's model is the Motronic unit that speaks to so many components and regulates the engine's performance and emissions. Of course I will preserve this functionality and keep the ignition and fuel systems intact. The m.unit will merely sit between the battery and everything else. Where the m.unit will truly shine is with the switches and lights (no pun intended).

My first step is to sort out the power delivery and ignition switch side of things. I designed in Photoshop what my untrained brain tells me is the right way to install a m.unit and I would love to hear what you guys think and let me know if I have done it rightly or wrongly! Any feedback will be appreciated, really!

A description of what I did:
    1. I placed a 30A fuse between the +12 supply of the battery and the m.unit.
    2. I connected the ignition switch power to the positive supply of the battery, protected by the 30A fuse.
    3. I connected the fuel pump relay power to the positive supply of the battery, protected by the 30A fuse.
    4. I connected the Motronic relay and the Motronic unit to the positive supply of the battery, protected by the 30A fuse.
    5. I connected the Starter Relay to the positive supply of the battery, protected by the 30A fuse (leaving the Motronic to handle the START function).
    6. I connected the ignition switch output to the m.unit LOCK input.
    7. I connected the m.unit IGNITION output to the ignition coil's power (leaving the Motronic to regulate it via the shielded cable).
    8. I connected the m.unit IGNITION output to the Right Multifunction switch power.
    9. The above means that the m.unit IGNITION output is also connected to the Warning light bulbs, Tachometer Connector, etc.

To reiterate, my goal was to not alter the functionality here but simply place the m.unit as an interface between the ignition switch, battery and the rest of the ignition system.

I am posting two photos below, the first is the native diagram as it stands; the second image is my mockup in Photoshop. I must highlight that I am not incredibly competent with Photoshop either so excuse the rough design.

Many thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

DUTCH-GS likes this.
  8. DUTCH-GS

DUTCH-GS Gimme Gravel

Oddometer:
  9. Gman1954

Gman1954 n00b

Oddometer:
    Lorenzoenzo, Love the Acewell Speedo idea! Can't help with the electrics.. Thoughts on the Design changes: I have a very small quiet, carbon fiber Muffler made by the previous owner (fabricator) that is about 1/3 the size and weight of the original huge can, you should consider replacing your monster muffler with one. What about the sacrilege of changing out that Huge GS Gas Tank? Could you widen it, lower the appearance and improve balance? A shaved seat would work well, but I like the look of the long tail versus the short "bobbed" tail. Btw Wide SS foot-pegs are available on A-zon for less than 50 and are very comfortable on trails and gravel.
  10. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    hadnt seen this thread before
    I am doing similar!
    I ahve a Motogadget and will be starting its install in the next few weeks.
    I am also likely to go with a Haltech 550 ECU to replace the moronic
    will be following your progress
    Lorenzoenzo and DUTCH-GS like this.
  11. DUTCH-GS

DUTCH-GS Gimme Gravel

Oddometer:
    Hi All, made some progress with the motogadget, ALL relays can be eliminated , except fuel damping (not a relay). questions? feel free to ask!
    cheers.
    Lorenzoenzo likes this.
  12. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you please wire up an Acewell or something similar and then come and do mine for me, nooo? ;)

Good job! How does it look on the bike?
  13. DUTCH-GS

DUTCH-GS Gimme Gravel

Oddometer:
    Haha not there yet, I am going to have a look on the Acewell later in the project.

Main reason Motogadget is the elimination of the air- and fusebox.
    When I started I was staring at the schematic like a monkey staring at a broken watch,
    but actually it's not that difficult and after consulting an automotive electrician, a friend of mine, the trick is looking at the colours AND the numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552

I ended up with these remains of the loom, see picture.
    Essentially everything gone and cut all wiring to be reconnected later at the proper lengths.
    Trying to save parts of the loom does not work, there are to many "knots" on the ground and unswitched/switched 12V. leaving it intact is asking for trouble, clean the ship and start over.
    Whats left is the motronic unit with the fuel damping fake relay, gone are all the lights, side stand,neutral and clutch protection circuits, (these wilt be added later on the Motogadget) RID, load relief (who needs that with LED lights) , horn, motronic, starter and fuel pump relays.

Make sure conn 15 on the motronic has contant 12V power, otherwise it will reset every time ignition is switched of.

Cheers!

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 10.33.22.png

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 11.04.47.png
    Ottovw and Hay Ewe like this.
  14. Ottovw

Ottovw n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir! Just started with renewing my R1100GS and using the motogadget unit blue. Do you use the old fuel indicator?

Cheers from the Netherlands ;)