BMW R1200GS as project bike

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by turtlespeed, Aug 31, 2019.

1. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dear All, I have been thinking of buying a R1200 GS for some time. And this showed up on Craigslist near me. I have never repaired a motorcycle, but am mechanically & electrically ok.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/d/jersey-city-2005-bmw-r1200gs/6968429634.html
    $1500

I am ZERO knowledge about the R1200GS, so request more experienced people to chip in on the viability (effort and cost, if possible per issue) for fixing this bike. Plan to wok over in the winters...

Things that need fixing:
    1. ABS pump/servo is out. Brakes work fine manually but the brake light routes through the ABS and therefore doesn't flash when brake is applied.
    3. No spare key.
    4. There is a short somewhere in the fog lights.
    6. Starter relay spliced in.
    7. Front fender has a big chip.
    9. Tank was repainted by previous owner.
    10. Swingarm bolt sheared (but has been ridden like this for 40K miles).
    12. Ring antenna needs to be installed.
    14. Bark Busters have a broken attachment.
    15. Rear fender guard missing.

Idea is to get it fixed to do MABRD next year.

TIA.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm very familiar with the R1200. Good bikes, easy to work on. If you can't hear it run, and can't verify that it will, I would give no more than $750 for it. Running and ridable, $1000. Need lots of work, but could be done pretty cheaply.
  3. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
  4. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moved. What a mess!
    MGV8 likes this.
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    While this may not be the perfect bike complexity-wise for you to start grinding your mechanic's teeth, with good literature, factory service manual and decent tool set you should be able to address majority of the issues except the first one...

Servo ABS pump out will pose few chosen directions:
    - find out if anyone can service it and have it repaired;
    - get a replacement one (won't be cheap);
    - attempt to remove ABS altogether - GS of that vintage was available without ABS brakes so ABS bike can be "downgraded" to non-ABS bike due to failed pump...

As for brakes currently working "fine" and yet ABS servo pump is out - well, that's one big load of crap to put it mildly. Failing ABS pump will leave residual braking only which will require extreme effort in other to stop the bike - equivalent of trying to turn the wheel of a car without engine running (ie. no power steering)...

Not impossible to made right but you'll have quite few road-blocks to overcome - good luck!! :thumb
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The ABS pump out means it is no longer there. It is well documented that the brakes work fine bypassed. The key is to set up the brake lights to work. Here is how: https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-i-removed-servo-iabs-brakes-on-my-05-clap.993562/
  9. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe there is a short in the fog light wiring after seeing how neat and tidy the wring is under the seat. The seller must be an automotive electrician.

00v0v_5ufLGeNUWFc_600x450.jpg