BMW R1200GS auxiliary lights with OEM light harness; help wanted please.

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by boetie.stoltz.ls, Dec 27, 2015.

1. boetie.stoltz.ls

boetie.stoltz.ls n00b

Oddometer:
    I've got the 2010 R1200GS and always wanted the auxilary lights as is standard on the GSA, so I bought the BMW auxilary light harness and 2 of the BMW auxilary lights. The harness came with the fusebox, the relay and the switch and the plug that connects to the main harness. So, I've connected it all, but the lights does not come on.
    I checked the fuses and checked the relay, they seem to be all good. I tested the lights on another GSA and there the lights work fine. The little green light in the switch comes on when I flip the switch but not the lights.
    What can the problem be? Should the bike's electronic control system first be programmed for the auxilary lights to work?
    The attached pictures shows the plug to which I connected the standard OEM BMW auxilary light harness, the OEM harness I used and the green light on the switch.
    Any thoughts or help, please! uploadfromtaptalk1451203660647.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1451203674544.jpeg uploadfromtaptalk1451203689937.jpeg
  2. boetie.stoltz.ls

boetie.stoltz.ls n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks madmax and katana for your builds and ideas.
    So my newly i stalled auxiliary lights are still not working, but here is what i have learnt, seen and know thus far:
    * there is continuity on the red and brown wire individually from the plug to the lights (thicker wires) on the light harness
    * the continuity on the purple/yellow and the brown/blue wires (including the switch) on the light harness also checks out
    * the two fuses are not blown, i've checked them and even replaced them
    * the relay is working fine. I used a small 9volt battery and connected it to the appropriate points on the relay and could hear the relay switching
    * i linked the brown and red wires directly to the battery while having bridged the fuses and relay and only the manual switch in place: the lights worked and the switch turned the lights on and off as it should. I removed the bridge pieces on the fuse and replaced the fuses - the lights still worked. I removed the bridge on the relay plug and replaced the relay, now the lights were dead until i triggered the relay (other two thin wires) with my small 9volt battery, then the lights came on.
    * this lead me to believe that the auxiliary light harness, lights, fuses and relay is in perfect working condition

So i shifted my attention to my bike and the auxiliary outlet from the bike harness. Here i've picked up something strange, with which i hope someone can assist me:
    * both plugs (bike harness and aux light harness) are wired the same i.e. thick brown on top, thick red at the bottom and the thinner purple/yellow and brown/blue wires in between
    * when bike is switched of and i test the points on the outlet from the bike, i found no power between any of the pairs of wire (between brown and red and between the thinner purple/yellow and brown/blue), which i am not sure of. I think brown and red should have power, but the other 2 not as they should be from the accesory circuit?
    * when the bike is switched on and idling, i still get no power between brown and red and still no power between thinner purple and brown wires, HOWEVER, i now see power between the thick brown top wire and the thinner brown/yellow wire just next to it. No power between any other wires on the oulet.

So, if the colours of the wires from the outlet socket match the colours of the auxiliary harness socket, and the harness, relay and fuses works perfectly well, does this mean the problem is with the bike/bike harness aux outlet? Is this confirmation that programming could be required? What does this tell me and what do i do next? uploadfromtaptalk1451382912000.png
  3. boetie.stoltz.ls

boetie.stoltz.ls n00b

Oddometer:
    I would have liked to keep everything standard, that is why i bought the BMW OEM harness. I thought it was going to be plug and play and great i am on my way! Well it turned out a bit different; the auxiliary lights are working, but with a baboon-tune.
    I was tired and could find no further answers, so i used the 2 wires from the bike harness, that carries power when the bike is idling, and connected it to trigger the relay once started. Then i went and got some decent cable and connectors and connected the brown and red wire from the auxiliary light harness directly to the battery. Put the bike back together and took it for a spin. The lights work fine!
    No fuses, relays or switches bypassed! Also no wires cut and everything still intact. So one day, if i find the real answer to the puzzle i was in, i'll be able to return the harness to original manufactured state.
    Happy riding!
  4. Bombardier1965

Bombardier1965 Gelände Straße

Oddometer:
    Hi Boetie,

The cable colours of the LED wiring-harness adapter kit do not match the original colours of the auxiliary-headlight cables.

K25_11_R71073b_small.jpg

Always connect brown to brown

LED wiring-harness adapter kit left: Brown, red/yellow to brown, red/white auxiliary-headlight wire.

LED wiring-harness adapter kit right: Brown, red/yellow to brown, red/green auxiliary-headlight wire.

Secure plugs (1) and (2) of the LED auxiliary headlights to the control-unit housing.

Connect plug (1) of the LED auxiliary-headlight switch to plug (3).

Connect plug (4) to wiring-harness plug (2).

Groete, Jan.