BMW R1200GS Rallye vs GS Adventure

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Bento, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Originally posted his on Horizons Unlimited but that forum seems just about dead. So here I am :D

---

I currently own a 2017 Triumph Tiger Sport, which I love, apart from the damn screen. I cannot seem to fix the wind noise on this bike and it's driven me so mad lately that I have started looking at other bikes.

As I want to do longer tours both on and off-road I'm eyeballing the new 2017/2018 GS Rallye right now. It's gorgeous and will obviously go both on and off-road.

I also have plans to drive from Amsterdam to Cape Town in 2019 or 2020 and want to do it on this bike. Yes, I know it's a heavy beast but it has been done many times before and others are currently driving through Africa on a GS as well.

What I am torn about is wether I should get the GSA instead of the Rallye for doing Africa in a couple of years. AFAIK the only big difference is the size of the tank. Should I get the GSA for it's increased fuel capacity (10L extra) over the Rallye? It's heavier and more expensive and I could always carry a fuel bladder with me on the Rallye I figured.

Any insights from you guys? :-) I think the Rallye will do fine, especially because I'll mostly drive around Europe apart from my Africa trip someday.

Cheers,

Bento
  2. modular

modular Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do what I did... Order the 2018 GS Adventure Rallye!
    DIRTLER likes this.
  3. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the Rallye is a fine bike which will suit your needs. For travel you will need to invest in a set of pannier racks, and if you ever plan to carry a passenger you'll need a different seat. I bought a 2016 GSA and LOVE the bike. It's very comfortable on road and surprisingly nimble off-road. I just finished the COBDR and the bike handled the rough, high passes really well.

Concerning fuel capacity...The GSA carries the extra fuel in lower lobes of it's larger tank, so the extra weight is negligible. I've ridden the bike in the rough with under 1/2 a tank and a full tank - there was no real difference in the bikes handling.

Finally, I've yet to hear a rider complain about having too much fuel on board or lamenting how his remaining range is simply too high. An 8-gallon tank can always just have 4-6 gallons in it if so desired, but a 6 gallon tank will never hold more than 6 gallons.

Many have stated they would need a break after 200 miles anyway, so they would gas up at that time too. I would rather take a break @ 200 miles and not be concerned if there's no station nearby.

You'll win with either bike, just don't fall prey to the "the GSA is too heavy with all that fuel" silliness.
  4. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    Isn't that just the GSA with a blue color scheme? I may obviously be wrong :D
    I am test riding the Rallye wednesday, maybe the GSA too if there's one available. I sat on a GSA in the showroom but damn it felt like a bloody army truck with that huge tank. Seeing I will mostly ride in populated areas anyway (except for that Africa trip) I thought the smaller Rallye would maybe be the better option and maybe a little sportier on paved roads.

Damnit. Tough choices :p
    ktric likes this.
  5. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found this for you, Newer BMW 1200 GSA LC...

6. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    It really boils down to what YOU personally like. I think the Rallye visually appeals to a vast majority of riders, but others won't consider anything but the GSA and the 'image' it projects.

Traveling through Africa (and other remote regions) requires large reserves of fuel. You obviously can gain that capacity with the GSA but I predict you will find yourself carrying additional gas cans regardless. Rotopax is a good solution. In summation, pick what your personal preference dictates. In your factual case, I would likely pick the GSA
    CJ3Flyer likes this.
  7. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Hoi Bento,

I went thru the same dilemma last week. I test rode both 2017 GS Rallye and GSA. I liked the Rallye very much, it felt lighter and somehow quicker and more reactive. Plus I love the color scheme.
    Today I pulled the trigger on a GSA. Why? Because I am 1,90m, 34" inseam and 120kg and the GSA just fits me better and gives me better wind protection. Both are heavy beasts anyway when offroading more technical stuff beyond gravel tracks. Plus, the GSA already comes with engine protection, pannier racks and fogs lights plus a higher windscreen. Seta height suited me better on the GSA. And I would have added all of those farkles on the Rallye + have modified the seat to make it higher and better.

I guess it depends a lot on your height and inseam. Make sure to try both bikes and buy what you feel more comfortable on for a long ride.
    modular likes this.
  8. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is another video that may help you with your decision...

9. willsauter

willsauter n00b

Oddometer:
    I purchased a 17 GS Rallye in late July after riding one for 7 miles on a test ride. I've always wanted one, so the test ride wasn't really going to sway me one way or another. With that said, I sat on a 17 GSA and thought it was too big. Felt so wide. At that time, even the GS felt like a large bike to me. Currently at 2000 miles and even after 500, had thoughts about how the GSA would've been. The GS feels perfect; not too large. but I'm still curious as to how the GSA would be. Not an issue until I require more range in a sitting. Can't go wrong either way; I love mine.
  10. modular

modular Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Rallye package includes an off-road focused one-piece bench seat, radiator and frame protection and an enduro short windshield... and of course, the cool colour scheme! Worths the cash for sure!
  11. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you sit on a GS and then go to GSA, it feels huge, that much is true. I'd say do test ride BOTH for more than just 5 minutes and you might be surprised how quickly you get used to the size and nimbleness of the GSA. Decide then what works for you.
  12. modular

modular Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of months ago when I tested the GS Rallye vs the GSA, I thought the opposite. The GSA felt nimbler (when riding!) and I was way more comfortable on it, but I am also 1.92 meters high with around 100 Kg (not fat, but big!). In the garage, the GSA looks way bigger than the GS - and it is - but when you start to move the weight goes away.

I felt exactly zero difference between both regarding weight, either stopped or moving. The only weight difference I've noticed was on my mind and aesthetically.
  13. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    Will try to drive the GSA for a bit when test riding tomorrow. Hopefully I can fit either through my garden door :p
    modular and TT RDHS like this.
  14. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the GSA don't fit neither will the GS. Same width.
    ihaha and korie like this.
  15. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    Drove a Rallye today, loved it. Engine less smooth than I expected but coming off of a Triple I think every twin will be less smooth. I was amazed by how sporty the ride was, even more so than my Tiger Sport which I didn't expect at all.

Will drive a GSA soon, they had none available when I returned from my 2hr test drive. Shame the GSA is like $35000-36000 over here.
    modular likes this.
  16. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    Isn't it 22.000€ with all the packages like everywhere in the EU?
  17. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    Nope. A GSA with some bells and whistles is an easy €28000+ which is $33000. Welcome to The Netherlands, land of heavy vehicle taxes... Goes for cars too sadly.

The Rallye like I want it is €24700 ish which translates to $29000.
  18. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    I ride regularly with a friend who has the Adventure, I have the Rallye. We swap off often. Ride about the same except when the big tank is topped up. Then the bike rides straight slightly more smoothly and feels a bit heavier on the kickstand. I have never had to pick it up though. it looks a little more "buffalo" but is still a balanced package. There are times I would rather not stop for gas as often but not a deal killer.
    Lee
  19. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    I checked the Dutch BMW site and configurator. The bike costs 25.000€ with all possible packets what is really more than in Germany or Italy for instance , but still is 29.000$.
    How much are the taxes? We have 22% VAT and 10% environmental tax.
  20. Bento

Bento 2017 GS Rallye

Oddometer:
    That price includes the 21% VAT but we also have "BPM" on all vehicles. My VW Golf GTI was already about €8500 more expensive just by BPM tax compared to the same car in Germany.