BMW R1200RT Wethead!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JimVonBaden, Apr 4, 2013.

1. wvpc1

wvpc1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have to think this condition is relevant to a FL climate. Good on ya to catch it early!!
  2. sb955i

sb955i Grudge no toil.

Oddometer:
    Well thanks for the heads up Bernie, I'll be pulling out the Honda Moly tomorrow for sure.. yours looks DRY. You bought yours same time as me, but mine's a '17. I guess everyone came back from the Bavarian summer break a bit rusty... get it.. LOL.

Is that an errant clip or something on the left side of the picture.. the s- squiggle..by the universal bearing there..
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    It is lithium grease used to seal the boot.
  4. sb955i

sb955i Grudge no toil.

Oddometer:
    Looked kinda crunchy/chalky to me. Guess it's old cheddar now.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  5. Bernie Echt

Bernie Echt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, the squiggle thing is actual writing of some sort. Someone wrote something on the inside of the swing arm.
    I did have a circling for the left rider foot peg fall of during the service, when I found it, it was in two pieces. Strange.
    Also the rear drive was supposed to be changed at the 600 mile service, it was cloudy?
  6. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how much life your 2017 final drive has in it, given the rusty looking state of them at relatively low miles and age..
    I'm really wanting and ready to go for a RT or GS, brand new as I love the bikes and the brand tho seeing those rusty splines I'm thinking I might go for a DL1000, a Super Tenere or a 1200 Tiger!
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    If you think that is compromised integrity, you may want to stick with cars. That is simply surface rust caught long before any structural integrity has been compromised. Clean it up, lube it, and check it occasionally, and it will be fine. If you neglect to lube the splines on any shaft bike, rust is very likely to form. Unfortunately BMW underlubed some of these.
  8. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough.. Tho compare this BMW setup with the Yamaha FJR/Tenere, the Honda ST1300/VTX1300, Suzuki Intruder shaft drive set up and which will you, in all honesty, feel more confident in? I love BMW Motorrad tho I can say unequivocally that I have complete confidence in a Japanese shaft drive setup whilst I cannot say that about the Bavarian set up. They won't admit to flaws in their system and they won't ever revert to a twin spar set up as the Teutonic arrogance prevents admission of wrong doing.
    Eddy Alvarez and mikeysduck like this.
  9. Bernie Echt

Bernie Echt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW designed the Paralever suspension to eliminate the shaft drive jacking that every motorcycle magazine in world complained about with BMW motorcycles. They don’t dare to complain about the Japanese bikes, as that you is where there advertising dollars or euros come from. Moto Guzzi eliminated the jacking, by installing shocks from freight trucks. BMW is under the believe tante it is better to have a working rear suspension, that keeps the rear wheel attached to the ground. By using a Paralever rear suspension system, they are able to separate the suspension part from the drive line part and still provide a motorcycle that uses a drive shaft.
    Kawasaki did a very similar setup with there Concours 14X.
    I have ridden over 300K miles with BMW Paralever and Telelever suspended bikes and I have no regrets.
    D.Kinsey and JimVonBaden like this.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Do us all a favor and stick with Japanese. :deal
  11. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no affinity with any brand or nation. I am no 'fanboy'.
    I am merely a consumer who works hard and earns my money honestly. I buy a product and I expect it to work as per the advert.. BMW makes out that they are the high point of technology and reliability; they are not. I love their bikes, I'm on my 5th. My first two were twin spar drive shaft bikes, they had solid final drive systems. The current crop of bikes are not as robust. That's a fact.
    I may, or may not go with Japanese.. I like their reliable and solid technology so who knows..
  12. Bernie Echt

Bernie Echt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Test ride the new WetHeads and I think even you will be impressed.
    D.Kinsey likes this.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but the first sign of imperfection he will start whining. We have enough of that around here.
    Don03st likes this.
  14. sb955i

sb955i Grudge no toil.

Oddometer:
    I believe you're wrong, but I'll certainly consider your reference data.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    He is wrong, they are better than ever.
  16. Bernie Echt

Bernie Echt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are we comparing reliability of a 25 HP /2 with a 2018 125 HP WetHead? Yes, drive shafts and u-joints last much longer with lower horse power motors.
    Also drive shafts with a single u-joint last longer then with a double u-joint, less moving parts. The single sided Paralever swing arm safes weight and promotes better handling compared to bikes with double side swing arms. The failure rate of the single side swing arm is null.
    But if you compare the reliability of a drive shaft to a chain driven bike, the drive shaft lasts longer and requires less maintenance then a chain does. Also in the average live of a BMW drive shaft will out last any chain/sprocket setup by 4times. Decent chains and sprockets are not cheap either.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  17. SuchesTom

SuchesTom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My driveshaft failed at 30000 miles, cost over $1000 to replace with no labor involved. My second one has 50000 miles and is still running. I've replaced the differential bearings twice. I see no dollar savings over chain and sprocket, just less incremental maintenance. It hurts worse when the maintenance is required.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You failed to say what year and model.
  19. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    Just rode my new to me 2015 r1200rt home. 700 miles so. Noticed this morning what appears to be a small weep of FD fluid onto rear wheel. From what i can find it should be allen bolt (8 mm?) for the fill hole and a torx (T-45) for the drain. Seems like they are installed in the correct location; however its a 6 mm fill plug not 8 mm ? Had a 6000 mi service recently. Before i bought it. Maybe overfilled? Did the tech forget a copper crush washer? Bolt seems nice and snug with my Allen wrench in it. If I recall these are only 8 Nm for torque?

I drove from sea level to a mile high but that shouldn’t have any real/actual effect? Its not everywhere but really only on the lower rim as it parked. Although seems pretty wide spread for it to only have happened parked.

Can I peak inside to see the oil level? When its full is the level normally visible? Would rather not have to drain and refill. I don’t think i lost a lot of fluid but perhaps I just didnt notice on the road. I only took the cases off when home but the fact its only on one portionof the rim makes me think it happened after parking at home (I stopped the first night one the way home too).

Thoughts?

Fill plug
    [​IMG]

Rim
    [​IMG]

Drain plug
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Powerslave

Powerslave n00by tires that would be

Oddometer:
    I tend to keep my bikes a long time and do my own routine services. I will probably put 5-10k commuting miles per year on it. Maybe a couple bigger 1-2k trips per year as well. Wish it was more. I am not sure if te warranty is transferable or not yet.