BMW R1250 GS Adventure final drive sound

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by davors, Aug 2, 2020.

1. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi riders,

I'm first time owner of BMW.
    I just bought R1250GS Adventure, it has only 1.500 kilometers now.

I noticed strange vibrating repeating sound I think it's in drive shaft.

If I drive 60 km/h in third on 2500 rpm I hear vibrating repeating sound in back of bike, sometning like bad tire.

But it's not, if I press clutch it stops, also if I increase rpm to 4000 everything is fine until I release clutch, when it transmit power then sound apears again. It's like bad tire but it's not, I don't hear anything when I press clutch at same speed.

I talked with dealer and they said every GS have some sounds but this for me isn't normal.

I constantly hear "brum brum brum brum" on small rpm, like vibrating sound, later I can't hear it becouse of speed and exhaust.

So if I press clutch wheels sounds OK, then I increase power and engine sounds OK, when I release clutch repeating sound is there again.

Do you guys know what it could be?

It's anoying ecpecialy becouse it's new.

Thanks

Regards
  2. marc11

marc11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what it is but I'm betting your dealer will and fix it under warranty.

I will say based in your clutch in and out test it doesn't seem to be the final drive but maybe clutch related.
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe ping each rear spoke with a very light wrench. They should all ring with a similar tone, though the notes will not be identical. In simple terms, listen for a short ring vs. an immediate thud.

Clunks or thuds equal loose spokes. One or three of those aren't a certain sign of a spoke problem, but it would be an issue to bring up with the dealership and get documented in the maintenance system.

As for the FD, if your dealership says it's fine, then it probably is. Same with the driveshaft. The bike's warranty provides backup to their professional opinion.
  4. m931a2

m931a2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What rpm range do you drive the bike in? What rpm do you hear it the most?

I would think that if it goes away with the clutch in then it’s not the drive train and as your bike is a constant mesh transmission, it’s always connected to the drive shaft and FD you could eliminate that too.
    Now all you have is the engine and the rpms and the clutch.

Can you have someone else ride it To make sure it’s not just new bike hyper attention?
  5. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:
    I drive around 2.500 to 5.500 and I hear it aroud 2.500, always when I change gear and add more throtle it starts to make noise. Even on forth gear.

I tried to ignore it but it's too laud so I can't ignore it.

I tried one HP same model and I didn't hear that.

I tried with 4000 rpm with pressed clutch and engine sounds OK.

It starts when I release clutch.
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    2500RPM is a bit low, rather too low of RPM to ride Boxer engine at... Try higher up, 4000 and up, all the way to upper 6000-7000 where max HP/torque are. Obviously, don't need to ride all the time at those high RPM but should exercise the engine through out the RPM range - the engine will thank you for that on a long run...

That aside, quick check you could do w bike on center stand: grab the wheel at 9 and 3 o'c position and try to push/pull the wheel and see if there's any noticeable rocking. Then move hands to 6 - 12 o'c position and repeat the same. If you feel more than ~1mm, which is rather slim movement, there may be issue w FD - otherwise, it's ok...

As it's rather hard to diagnose perceived weird sounds over the interweb, you should take the bike to dealer and have the complaint logged and checked out... :deal

Also, depending on what bike you came from ie. how new Boxer platform is to you, you may hear all sorts of sounds which would be new to you - usual answer is "they all do that"... :D
  7. Bluetooth Tuner

Bluetooth Tuner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Worth a watch apparently something to do with first oil filter, weird.

8. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes I tried it with much more rpm, I usualy drive on long run around 4000-5000 sometimes 6000. But when I'm in city or I need to slow down, I shift in third gear, then I hear it, like tire isn't balanced.

But tire is OK, no sound when I press clutch.

This is my first boxer bike, al other sounds are OK for me, they are all new to me but this one is realy strange, when I hear it I have filing that drive shaft is curved :-) That is rifht way to explain it.

I will try your suggestion for quick check.

Also I will try to record this sound.
  9. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:
    I tried your suggestion to check wheel, everything is ok, no rocking.
  10. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Awesome - so worry less and ride more... :D

Didn't notice earlier that you just joined today - welcome aboard to the G-Spot asylum :beer
  11. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:

I will try :-)

I will try now to record sound, just to check it.
  12. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get to the spot in your rpms or speed where you get your sound :

1. does clutch in kill the sound.

2. does applying rear brake kill the sound.

3. does applying combined fr/rr brakes kill the sound.

4. get up to speed , pull in clutch , kill engine : listen.

5. your tire pressures.

6. Is your wheel & tire round.

7. are there pressure bulges/blisters on your tires.
  13. m931a2

Oddometer:
    Run it between 4000 and 6000 rpms and see if it’s still there.
  14. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:
    1. Yes when I press clutch it stops

2. No, I tried to press rear brake while clutch is rrleased and it still sounds

3. Still the same with both brakes with released clutch

4. No sound when I press clutch

5. Tire pressure is OK. Front tire 2.5 back tire 2.9 bars

It apears only when I drive in smaler RPM, then I hear it like repeating vibrating sound in back of bike.
  15. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    There is nothing wrong with your bike. Ride it more.
  16. m931a2

Oddometer:
    So I checked this today on my ride to work.
    60km/h is 37 mph per google.
    On my 2014 GS if I'm in 3rd gear at 40mph the tach shows 3200 rpm so I'm not sure how yours is so low. I think your shifting too early, wait till the RPMS are over 4000 before you shift up and see if you can still hear it.

On a side note, if I try and accelerate below 3000 rpm my bike starts to shake and shudder and makes my phone unreadable. Once it hits 3000 rpm or higher it's smooths out again.
  17. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:
    I just came from ride. I tried all the time to ride from 4000 to 6000, it was really nice ride, RPM was always aroud 5000 and sound wasn't there, then I noticed it again.

I was in third on around 3000-3200 RPM like you on 60 km/h and that started again. Always at 60km/h.. now I started to think sound is from exhaust. On that speed is like unbalanced tire. Should I check tire balance? I don't feel shaking.

At same speed and RPM it stops when I press clutch.

Really strange

Update:

One thing I forgot to write.. when I change gears fast and accelerate fast, when presure is higher to the wheels I don't hear that sound on 3200 RPM at 60 km/h.. also I can't hear it when I go uphill
  18. davors

davors n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is just part of audio I managed to record:
    https://voca.ro/8vgXiwlcbrK

You can't hear it on first listening, just put speaker on you ear and you will hear vibrating sound, sounds like exhaust is vibrating.

It's dificult to hear it on audio, engine is loud but in live listening is 3x stronger.
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ I can't hear anything out of the ordinary for LC GS/As... :hmmmmm

If it bothers you that much, you may want to go through entire bike and double check all of the fasteners - chances are small that there's anything loose but that should give you peace of your mind... :thumb
  20. manxkipper

manxkipper Fishpistel

Oddometer:
    Is it an actual sound or a vibration? My 2016 gs has a vibe thrum that pulsates in 3rd and 4th at around 3k rpm. Internet search shows that others have the same issue.