1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW R1250RS

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by motocopter, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the 1200RS. I really wanted to like it. However, the bars are just too far forward, and, most importantly, the steering head angle is quite lazy, so it handles like a truck.

My RT and GS eat it in the twisties....

YMMV
  3. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    It really is a pity, as the RS is a beautiful looking bike....
  4. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not the 1250R?
    SelfPropelledDevo likes this.
  5. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    I have always wanted a ride of an R. The new engine would be very interesting in an R.
  6. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Latest I’ve read on the 1250 R/RS is that they will be available in the US late fall as 2020 models. That’s from an email from BMW USA that was posted on the R1200R site. So no 2019 models for us.
  7. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
  8. FutureBoxer

FutureBoxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to sit on the R1250RS at the Toronto bike show this spring. Maybe it's coming to Canada before the US? Anyway I actually found the riding position really comfortable. It looks superb in person, tight design and very refined.

I had an R1200R for years. That bike was a good all rounder. I imagine this new RS would be better in many ways. A practical point, the RR saddle bags were awesome and the RS bags look the same. Full face helmet fit in either side, water proof, rock solid at speed, made commuting to work and traveling so much easier.

I might consider getting the RS, though the GSA also has my attention... Its extra room and fuel range are really attractive.
    Electrical, airheadDan and motocopter like this.
  9. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    I had the same experience when I demoed the R1200RS. It was disappointing as I loved the looks. The bars can be raised but the handling just felt stiff.

Not sure when the 1250RS will be available in the U.S but it's already available in Europe in four colors:
    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html
  10. Avocet

Avocet Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own both a 2017 R1200R and a 2016 R1200RS. I have heard comments about the slow steering of the RS quite a few times, and while I agree it needs more steering input than some other bikes, the difference isn't so great that it gets in your way while riding. You do need to ride the bike long enough for your brain to re-calibrate your expectations, but once you've done that the RS feels very natural and extremely stable and confidence inspiring. I have been on several of thee twistiest roads I can find in the north east USA, and the steering of the RS was never an impediment. In fact, once you become accustomed to it you appreciate how much feedback it provides. The RS can do anything you want once you become accustomed to it.

I think BMW has handicapped the RS by making it's bars so low and so far forward. This places too much weight on the bars for most people, which makes the handling feel heavier. I have Helibar risers on my RS, which moves the bars up and back, allowing me to sit up and take the load off my wrists. this alone makes the steering feel lighter. If you test ride an RS don't forget about this possibility.

With Helibars and an MRA vario touring windshield installed, the RS is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned, this includes a few R1200gs models, an R1200GSA and a K1600GT. The RS is the only one of those I can ride for hours without getting pain in my back and neck. The OEM seat is the best of the bunch as well.
  11. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is the leg room/knee angle? How tall are you? What is your inseam? Thanks.
  12. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My '16 RS is equipped just the same, and I agree, it is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned, and is also the bike I can ride the longest on. I don't feel that the steering is heavy at all.
    SlipstreamRS likes this.
  13. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding the bars, I recall seeing a conversion kit to put R1200R bars on the RS. I think it was a Wunderlich kit. Just another option.
  14. Avocet

Oddometer:
    JStory, I am 5 ft 11 in tall with a 32 inch inseam. I forgot to mention above that I have the BMW HP adjustable foot pegs on my RS. My pegs are set to the center of three positions available with those pegs, which seems to place the pegs slightly lower than stock pegs. I don't feel a need to move the pegs to the lowest available position. I recently sold a 2018 K1600GT with the BMW low seat. My knees are more comfortable on the RS than on the GT.

In the past I owned a 2007 GS, a 2008 GS, a 2010 GS and a 2015 GSA. All those bikes suffered from seats that would make you slide forward into the tank. The RS seat is level and doesn't do that. The GS seats were adjustable, to lift the front, but weren't shaped as well as the seat on the RS, so were less comfortable for me no matter how adjusted. I tried Sargent seats on the various GS models without any real improvement. No need for an after market seat on the RS.

I also owned a 2017 S1000XR. I installed heavier bar-end weights to reduce vibrations and also had the BMW soft handlebar bushings installed. Vibrations when cruising at highway speed were unbearable. It quickly became apparent I wouldn't be able to make long journeys on that bike. Only kept that bike for around 6 months. The seat was pretty good, but there was only one possible seating position. No ability to move around a bit as is possible on the RS.
    Ivabign, Sticky Throttle and JStory like this.
  15. Avocet

Oddometer:
    There is one more accessory I would recommend to anyone who owns or is considering an R1200RS. I have the Hornig mount that repositions the Nav system from the handle bars, where it's too low to see easily, to above the instrument cluster, where it really should be on a touring bike. The original location of the Nav system is one thing I really disliked about the RS as delivered. That is one of the reasons I bought the S1000XR even though I already had the RS. The XR positions the Nav system up where it belongs. Strangely, the Nav mount on the XR doesn't allow you to lock the Nav system in place, like I can with the Nav repositioned using the Hornig adapter on my RS. I now have a lockable Nav mount positioned where it can be easily viewed.
    Electrical likes this.
  16. Michaelrm69

Michaelrm69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, you don't even need to go aftermarket as you can just use the R1200R bars and top clamp. The R and the RS share the same triple tree bottom clamp and you can either set in the clip-on's or standard tubular bar. When I used to own my RS (one of the best bikes I've ever owned) and followed some of the RS boards, you would see this mod frequently.
  17. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    I have been on my RS for a few years now and I don’t think the bike is slow steering at all. Can sit on it all day unlike my 1198 and push it almost as hard into the corners. Wish it had 20hp more :)

Really like the bike for a great do it all ride ( well not dirt )
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  18. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    44D7835B-5218-4E40-AAF9-CC4175B12ED1.jpeg Just a great bike
  20. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that didn't last long. The 1250RS is gone from the US website. I see it's in the Canadian website though.