BMW R80 G/S EPA (Registration questions)

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Garemie, May 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Garemie

Garemie n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello!

My name's Jeremy. I am new to the forum but have already found a load of useful information.

I am looking to purchase an R80 G/S and have been worried about the CA registration laws. Following their website it looks like it's actually straight forward for bikes that came with an EPA emissions label. Supposedly the bike would qualify so as long as it does have one. Specifically worried about being a bike in from another state.

Does anyone know if all US spec R80 G/S's had an EPA label? Doesn't matter if it's CA complaint or not, just needs to be EPA according to CA DMV site.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handb...t-vehicles/motorcycles-and-newer-year-models/

Thanks in advance. Also looking to buy one if anyone's selling, obviously. I will make a wanted ad soon.
  2. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just go to DMV with signed off pink slip and money and you are done . You don't even need to bring the bike.
    As long as it has current CA license and reg. you are good to go.
  3. Garemie

Garemie n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick response. But what if it's a bike from out of state? Sorry, should have mentioned that was the worry. I haven't found one but I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row beforehand.
  4. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    They may want to verify VIN number to make sure it matches the pink slip.
    It's been a couple of years ago that I registered an out of state bike it may be different now.
  5. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    I'm in CA and have purchased vintage airheads from out of state. You should take the bike to a local AAA or CHP office for VIN verification. They will not check for a EPA sticker as long as the bike has been registered in another state. If you import the bike from another country, the EPA sticker will need to be verified. EPA is a federal agency, not state.
    DonniBoi likes this.
  6. Garemie

Garemie n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you both! That makes sense.
  7. 2WheelTraveler

2WheelTraveler backinthesaddleagain Supporter

Oddometer:
    It must have something to do with the age of the motorcycle. A few years ago I purchased a BMW G650X and the DMV did want to see the sticker, but with my airheads they only checked the VIN.
  8. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If bike was manufactured after the law was enacted then it is required to have it. Not if before....
  9. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    It does. There was also a time when some motorcycle and auto manufacturers made 49-state models which would not pass CARB. I think every manufacturer for the past 20+ years is now 50-state compliant.

In response, I think CA stopped allowing special construction motorcycles to be imported and registered in CA. Put OC Choppers out of business :lol3
  10. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:

Just head for DMV with the paperwork...should be done it maybe 15 minutes up there.

You are going to the BMW Rally in Mariposa next week..That's why you'll see around 400 beemers all over town. There's an airhead central where you can learn all things airhead related.

BUT you need to register before noon tomorrow..sorry no day passes but good food and lots of seminars you'll enjoy.

Go here to sign up.

https://bmwnorcal.wildapricot.org/event-4296305
  11. Garemie

Garemie n00b

Oddometer:

I coached the youth wrestling team for years that would do the food fundraiser for that event. You guys would basically fund our kids program as we didn't receive any money from the school district, so thanks for doing that, I'm sure there's many on this forum that attend/supported us.

EDIT: Wow, I just made the connection. Hi Greg, thanks for supporting us all those years. You definitely treated those kids well.
  12. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    Yes, we were sad when told the Grapplers wouldn't be helping out at the Rally. Everyone really liked the food/service and supporting the team..and we miss the fresh baked goodies.
  13. Garemie

Garemie n00b

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately work calls, and I haven't been involved in the team in a year and a half. Greg, please do me a favor, if you hear of a R80 G/S or G/S PD for sale, please contact me. Unfortunately, work prevents me from attending the rally. Hope all's well.

Jeremy
  14. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know as soon as I come out of the other side June 1.

G/S in any condition are going to "interesting" prices for the last few years. Asking prices way too high for a bike needing LOTS of work to ride safely.

But every once in a while the stars align and good price, good bike, going to a good home. Just keep looking..not every G/S goes for $20k+.
  15. Garemie

Garemie n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't plan on giving up, but I definitely don't have a 20k budget, so patience is key I guess.

Thanks again
  16. Beemerguru

Oddometer:
    timing is everything...just got an email from someone that wants to sell his G/S.

Send me an email

greg@airheadadventure.com
    Garemie likes this.