BMW RA 2015 Rally October 1-4

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by womanridge, Nov 12, 2014.

1. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Shedding&Shredding Supporter

Oddometer:
    :shog
    Thanks for this - I kept wondering if I'd missed something. Although Alabama would be okay with me too (pass me the gingko too, even though I'm part of the 'near' 45 young crowd) :rofl
  2. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to my 1st RA when I was 50?
    Whenever the last one in WV when the MOA was the week before in Johnson City TN.
    I'm 55 now.:D
  3. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    The residents of Arkansas and rally goers don't know just how lucky they are.............:D
  4. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I attended Sedalia. Yes, it was hot. The trip home was brutal. Should have traveled at night. However, the rally itself was as good as it could be. Lots of free ice cold water, thanks MOA. Lots of shade and ac places. True, I did not get to explore the area by bike, as daylight was just tooooooooo hot. I pity the folks in the riding classes on the black parking lot at low speed. They did no get full benefit of their classes I bet. However, I would go again. Bring it back MOA.

Rod
  5. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A very good reason for a rally in October. People traveling across the country will likely go by slab where the roads are cleared even there is snow in the Rockies.
    At several MOA events people were hospitalized for heat related problems.
    I attended many MOA nationals over the years and don't remember a lot of kids. Most attendees are males traveling without families.
    I think October in he Ozarks sounds great. Right now I intend to hit both it and Barber. By the way Barber has around 50,000. That kind of shoots down the idea nobody can go to a fall event.
    Oh has anybody ever heard of Biketoberfest?

Hoping to make it
    Bob
  6. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope to make it also. it is close. That is a very backwards part of the world. If you ride the excellent dirt roads, should someone tell you to leave, or you hear banjos, simply smile and apologize and leave the way you came in right away. I have some friends in MacDonald country Mo. I know of some mighty unstable people down there. It is worse in parts of Arkansas.

Rod
  7. OU812

Oddometer:
    Packing I will be.:deal
    :lol3
  8. jeepjeff

jeepjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 :wave
  9. Mapsmear

Mapsmear Smooth & Shiny

Oddometer:
    As a high school teacher that will be half way through the first quarter by then, I won't be able to attend. I know of four others in education that can't attend as well.
  10. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    Those males traveling without their families are able to do so because the kids are out of school. Many business cycles are built around staff taking vacations in the summer if for nothing more than established tradition. Those same guys can't take a week in October especially if their wife works; the disruption to the family routine wouldn't be worth it.

Wife takes the kids to her parents for a week; husband gets to ride. Everyone is happy.

It will be a great rally, however it is also clear indication that the club scene is aging out.
  11. OU812

Oddometer:
    I have been steering away from the Rally get together just because I prefer the smaller more personal get together's.
    That way I might remember somebody's name.:lol3
  12. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    There have been many RA rallies held in the fall, It's the best time of year for many of the locations they pick, and I don't think they worry about some teachers not being able to attend. In fact, during the summer, there are others that can't attend due to work loads. bottom line, cant please everyone, stupid to even try, better to pick the best time of year for the location, and for many, that means fall.
    Plus, I know quite a few teachers that take a couple days off to attend fall rallies.
  14. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many years ago MOA had a discussion about moving the national to a Tuesday through Thursday rally. This way those traveling long distances could make the rally with one week of vacation. I can't remember if it ever happened.
    For those of us within a day's ride, a weekend rally does not require vacation, but for those riding thousands of miles a mid-week rally might make sense.
    I plan to attend, but life frequently gets in the way even in retirement.
    Bob
  15. UncaBuddha

UncaBuddha Well, Okay then.

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Super Tender rally was held just south of Harrison last October. Fantastic place to hang out, eat, ride, drink beer. I didn't get the racist vibe at all. The people were very friendly to bikes as if they know about tourist dollars. Goto the Harrison website and check out the motorcycle specific section. October was deserted on the roads!
  16. spartanag

spartanag n00b

Oddometer:
    Please don't buy into the nonsense in this article. The author clearly has never been to the area. I am a transplant to the area. My job has me visiting different people on their property on a daily basis. I have yet to come across the kind of people the author describes in the article.

The vast majority of people are friendly and every bit as intelligent as everyone else I've met across the country. Are there isolated cases of "strange folks"? Of course, but you find "strange folks" everywhere, not just in Arkansas. The stories of the dumb rednecks who marry their sister/cousin are just that...stories.

Are there places where outsiders aren't welcome? Probably, but I have yet to come across such a place in this area. Of course, there are places everywhere across the country where outsiders may not be welcome. The economy of north central Arkansas is dependent on tourism dollars and retirees moving in from out of the area, so I would say the area is friendly to outsiders.

This area has some of the best paved and unpaved riding around and the weather here around the end of Sept. beginning of October is usually fantastic. Bring your fishing gear too...we have some of the best trout fishing in the world!

Again: Please don't let that one uninformed article ruin your opinion of the area; come down and experience it for yourself and form your informed opinion.
  17. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old school BMW rider here. RA Rallies are always in very interesting places. I have been to a couple brilliant ones over the years. MOA is bigger, so they need bigger places.

RA is just the right size.

Historically, they where the same group. It split. RA is for Riders, MOA is for BMW owners.

There is, or was, a difference. I'm not sure anymore.
  18. OU812

Oddometer:
    Year's ago enjoyed a mini rally right there.
    Only incident was some punk's trying to mess with our bike's at McDs.
    Local Vietnam Vet in his pickup showed them his .45 and they returned to the woods from whence they came.
    I shook his hand and we all thanked him.:wink:
  19. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    If you two get to this rally, you better let me know as it is only 50 miles away from me...I can tour guide ya! :ricky

You poor misguided child..you best stay home and keep away from Arkansas..:huh

Sure Tom Robb and some of the KKK folks are there in Harrison, but you'd never know it if I had not told ya or you accidentally seen his one and only billboard. People of Harrison ignore the KKK and any controversy to do with it. It's not that big of a deal...really!

As for color change that early in OCT, It aint happenin!!!! Color in the Ozark don't happen until the end of the month and sometimes in NOV..it will be plenty green here when y'all show up...trust me on this!

As for awesome roads..it is true! This is my back yard, my nirvana. If you get off road, just stay on the county roads. Do not ride on private roads, they are usually well marked. Purple Tree Paint means PRIVATE PROPERTY! If you are on a county dirt road and the trees on both sides are painted, you are good, continue on your journey. If you decide to ride a trail and you see purple tree paint, you best hightail it out of there!
  20. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was dating a gal from McDonald Co Missouri, we were heading to one of her horse riding buddies south and east a bit of Pea Ridge in my truck. Truck coming the other way blocked the road, and told us to turn around. Once they found out who we were going to visit, we got to pass. Now I know there were road signs around, and the road was graded ever once and a while...... I was driving, my girlfriend was navigating so I can not attest to public or private, but there were no posted signs or gates, and not a lot of purple paint. I guess they have a lot of kids out to party near the lake and were kind of unfriendly about strangers.

Maybe your area is more friendly. The trail ride was fun, but I would rather ride dirt bikes. The are so much faster.

Rod