BMW Rallye 3 or Klim Badlands for Alaska in June?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by CardiffKook, Mar 3, 2019.

1. CardiffKook

CardiffKook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will be leaving from San Diego in June.

Riding 1200 GS adv.

I have only ever had BMW Rallye 3 for trips. I know it gets wet/heavy if it rains so I thought I would throw a gortex shell over it if it's dumping (uninsulated skin gear which should work.)

Will have heated liner if needed.

Being in socal, we don't have much weather and on my 3 distance trips (2000+ miles) I never experienced crazy rain or cold.

Is the Rallye going to cut it or should I splurge on a (used) Badlands for Alaska this June??
  2. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will experience rain and cold (40's) at some point, hopefully not too many rain days in a row or colder than 40. Heated gear is my go to for cool days.
    I've never been a fan of gear that requires a water proof liner to be put on under the shell. So I wore Aerostich Darien for 20+ years. Then recently moved to Klim Latitude.
    The Badlands is several steps above the Latitude but I'd consider it overkill for riding highways. And you will ride highways to get here, unless you take the ferry for a portion.
    Other than long, there's nothing particularly difficult about the trip north but then I've been over the Alcan several dozen times so its old hat...
    next
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could get snowed on and bitten by mosquitoes on the same afternoon.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I tell people to dress for 60.... plus/minus 25
  5. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last trip 2017 14 days of rain on a 21-day trip. Temps from 100 in BC to low 30's and snow/sleet near Grand Cache

I can't imagine doing that trip having to zip a liner in and out or having to wear a rain-soaked jacket,

People bitch about how much Klim Gear costs but it works.

Buy the Badlands or a Latitude, I sold my used Latitude gear on the Flea Market here for about $450 Jacket and Pants
    SunshineTom and Beezer like this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dedicated Rain jacket and pants. I never leave home without them.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  7. Blackfin31

Blackfin31 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I went up last year to Hyder and one thing I guarantee your going to get in June is RAIN....I wore my Klim Latitude had heated gear jacket gloves and heated grips. I got cold rain and hail for 1,000 miles.

Take home: you need to bring dedicated Rain Gear....Why? Even if you have Gortex once it gets wet on the outside there will be a cooling effect and even though you are dry inside you will be cold from the wind chill factor.

I think if you wore the BMW Rally suit you will be fine as long as you have Rain Gear over it. But you will need to wear it before it rains. Once that outer layer gets wet, it will get uncomfortable either steaming up or chilling down. Best to keep the jacket dry with rain gear...

I found myself wearing the rain jacket if the temp were below 45 degrees even if it was not raining but because of the wind chill.

I ride a 2013 R1200GSA which has good wind protection.

I'm leaving June 1, from Northern California and hope to see you in the road...

Paul
    Cal likes this.