1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    An FJR900 would be the stuff.
  2. thunderroad

thunderroad n00b

Oddometer:
    What's the difference between this and the S1000R?
  3. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

A full fairing, a windscreen, and probably the option of hard bags that integrate with the look of the bike. :D

I like the idea very much. Naked bikes are great, I've had, and enjoyed many. Although, living in Oregon and dealing with rain constantly sure does make me appreciate a fairing and windscreen that keeps at least some of the rain off of me.
  4. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see two different classes of bikes between this and the K1300S. No problem there. I'd much rather have the more upright seating position and 100#'ish weight savings, plus I prefer to skip the sporty bodywork these days.

Sorry, but an "FJR900" sounds boring to me. A lightweight Versys 1K sounds much better. I don't want racks and hard bags. Save the bulk and weight. I'm looking for an Adventure Sport bike, as some termed it a few years ago.

The F should have a roomier rider triangle, better wind protection, and a better fuel range than the R. All of those things I'm for, so long as it doesn't get porky in the process.
  5. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

Agreed. I hope that this bike ends up like the Ninja1K. I hope that they don't try and make it a Multistrada clone. I feel like they will probably go that direction.:cry I would love for it to be a nice lightweight, full fairing ST bike, like the Ninja. Generally, when manufacturers go for the ST/dual sport thing, the bike just ends up ugly. Versys, Tiger, Multi, SMT, Vstrom, all great machines, but hindered by their looks. YMMV.:1drink

I hope they go for a Sprint, Ninja type of design and keep the beak off of this one. If so, I will be first in line wanting to buy.:clap
  6. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    K1300S is in the hyper sportstouring class With Hayabusa,ZZR1400 and VFR1200. Long and Heavy in sportbike eyes.

When Kawasaki can make ZZR1400 and Z1000SX, why cant BMW?

Now just let us get a Honda CB1000R touring and a Suzuki GSR1000F:freaky
  7. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probebly very much the same difference as Kawasaki Z1000 and Z1000SX.
  8. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

Exactly, well put. :D
  9. thunderroad

thunderroad n00b

Oddometer:
    But as stripple says, correctly, that one of the differences is that this one has a full fairing, then it'd no longer be considered a naked/standard/roadster. I guess BMW is trying to cover more than all bases. Still, seems like a nice machine--like their other ones.:ear
  10. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    You aren't the target market, then.

The coming sport tourers will all have gizmos out the wazoo.

The K1300GT is toast, right? They need something between the F800GT and the K1600's. This could be it.
  11. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm aware of the market and the trend. The problem is: if you want a high(er) end, high(er) performance bike these days, you're getting pushed into the gadgets. Unnecessary and expensive, in my mind. But, yes, I know that's the way it's going. I don't have to like it.
  12. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I don't really think an up-spec bike without the gadgets would sell. You might be able to order a BMW with just the bare bones - they are pretty customizable if you're willing to wait, pretty sure you're stuck with ABS, though.

Yamaha still has a no-gizmos FZ1, I figure you can toss bags on that, if you want.
  13. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Give it decent wind protection and some comfortable ergonomics and enough luggage capacity for a weekend getaway, heated grips and enough electrical capacity to use heated gear and it would be great. Of course you could just buy the 1600 GT and call it good by that point, couldn't you?
  14. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeh, I've already discussed a base model w/the BMW dealer a couple of times. They're not real hip on that. Imagine...I have an FZ-09 (and several other non-gadget bikes). Getting harder and harder to find. This is "progress", I reckon.
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bloody Paul..

As I 205'd in another thread,

Well Kawasaki are not going to take this lying down. I just showed my friends at KAWASAKI HQ this link and I don't know what they said, but they got very red in the face and very animated, something about starting the IL4 jacked up street bike thing.

Expect a NinjaSys1000 with Supercharger http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/630/17479/Motorcycle-Article/Kawasaki-Supercharged-Inline-Four-at-Tokyo.aspx
    for half the price in the future for when 250HP isn't enough but with less modes and reliable switchgear.

So now a Jacked up R1, Jacked up CBR, Jacked up Gixxer (Nice ring to it that) and Jacked up MV Agusta Turismo Mega Veloce IL4.

Another pile of HRS sports bikes. Eventually all the cashed up upper middle aged men are going to die you know? :deal

Anyway at least it's in the right sub board.
  16. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, they don't even bother importing the "as advertised price" BMW's, they have to supply them eventually (wait six months special order) other wise they get into trouble. (R1200GS/A anyway)
  17. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did skim something in this weeks MCN about a Kwak 600 with a supercharger.
    Lightweight and a shitload of grunt.
  18. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's KAWASAKI. It just become the 1400 Motor! Due by 2015 :lol3

But it is interesting that out at the karaoke bar one night obviously someone from Suzuki overhead someone from Kawasaki, or vice versa, about forced induction.

Anyway not the place.
  19. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Back to topic.

If this S1000F does happen - i wonder if BM will bother with a refresh / replacement for the K13 bikes?
  20. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sources say a new ADV bike is on the horizon. It's built on the S1000RR platform and will compete with the Multistrada. As you know BMW just produced a standard version of the RR super bike called the 1000R. This will be the third bike built on this platform. This will be interesting.