BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BANNABLE Supporter

Oddometer:
    why i quit buying aprilia
  2. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, their loss was my absolute gain! I'm having way too much fun on the XR... :wings
    Scourge and Dirtleg like this.
  3. zeusx4

zeusx4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only thing to vibrate of fmy XR is the wallet out of my pocket for gas.
    Tor, ultimatezap, Aviatordoc and 2 others like this.
  4. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC and S1000XR rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    And $$$ for tires.
    Tor and zeusx4 like this.
  5. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. WildBilll

WildBilll Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just rode 680 miles West Florida to Myrtle Beach, and the next day 390 to Richmond va. Over 1070 miles in 2 days this XR rocks, no pain, no stress, smooth at highway speeds. Cruised with the traffic @75 to 80mph, very comfortably. I generally go back roads, but I was on a mission. This is just a different kind of a bike, you just have to spend some time on it... Great mileage, and nothing vibrated and fell off...
    ultrasheen, Dirtleg and Scourge like this.
  7. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does all the things.

I slogged it 700 miles across the Midwest in the rain and ... Ya know ... Not bad. I'm still using the stock seat and windscreen too. I also did a 2500 mile loop to the rally in TN and ran the whole length of skyline, BRP and Cherohala fully loaded and still scratched a knee at times.

Serious contender for best all around motorcycle ever.
  8. WildBilll

WildBilll Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Serious contender for best all around motorcycle ever.

AGREED!!
    MiddleAgedMissile and Norsman like this.
  9. HikerDoc

HikerDoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got rear ended on my R1250 GSA (fortunately I am ok aside from a sore back). I just couldn’t do the same bike again - so today that turned into the S1000XR.

Really impressed so far.

IMG_1165.jpg
  10. zeusx4

zeusx4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet looking ride. The black looks good. I have the white but have painted the cat black using header paint.
  11. Scourge

Oddometer:
    The black looks great without the logo on the side fairing.
  12. Scourge

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had lots of clutch rattle at idle in neutral? I'm just over 30k miles and have returned from a 2500 mile trip. It's very prevalent and I can't recall when I noticed but now that I'm paying attention... It's been getting worse.

It goes away as soon as I pull the lever in. The clutch grabs and holds fine. The adjustment isn't sloppy and it's right at the top so wear doesn't seem to be an issue.

Loose/saggy springs? Normal? Anyone else?
  13. Dirtleg

Dirtleg Shop Local Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can"t agree more. Done the ride to Barber twice from Roanoke, and an over 700 mile day from Montgomery Al picking up the BRP in Asheville and riding it till I had to exit in Blue Ridge Va about 10 minutes from home. Fully loaded with either camping gear or work stuff. (Yes I'll use it for business trips)

I did finally change the windscreen to the Givi extra tall recently because I got tired of the buffeting and am looking forward to the next trip.

And it makes a great beer truck too.
    20181005_172700.jpg
    UFO, Gadawg803, Scourge and 3 others like this.
  14. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a recommended 70/30 tire for the XR, in the right size? Tried the Pirelli Scorpion trail 2 last year and they didn't hold up in the rough stuff, punctures which were unfixable.
  15. esso_sa

esso_sa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you write a quick comparison from your personal experience between GS and XR ? I'm looking at both, but haven't yet decided which one to get..
    Thanks
    HikerDoc likes this.
  16. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BANNABLE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can chime in here
    I had a 2011 GS and a 16 XR sold the 11 GS because of the XR being it just felt more refined more responsive and obviously a lot faster
    after putting 22,000 miles in two years on the XR I am still in love with the bike as being one of the best I've owned though I no longer own an XR I recently traded it in on a 18 brand new fully loaded GS reasons I would rather keep to myself and do not feel like spreading rumors on such a superb motorcycle
    the GS is just a comfortable lounge type all around probably the most perfect bike on the planet there's nothing it cannot do and it does it all great
    XR does all those things as well but just faster and more hyper the XR always feels like it wants to go fast and I would never want to take the XR out on Serious dirt
    this is my own opinion but it's a powerful bike and belongs in the street
    So where you make up in speed responsiveness and horsepower you lose in agility and dirt compared to the GS
    Plus the Pillion seating on the GS is much better cuz at least for my wife anyways her thighs aren't resting on the rear fender because the seats more cushioning
    All the quick shifts and options computer suspension and traction control both are very comparable
    Not that it bugs me but the XRS definitely busier than the GS
    And I just think the GS will Outlast the XR as far as reliability and you can't beat the TFT dash I really like that
    That's my two cents
  17. esso_sa

esso_sa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it. Pillion comfort on XR is my biggest concern. 70% of my riding is solo, 30% with pillion. However, those 30% with pillion fall mostly on 2 up long distance touring.
    I never ride in the dirt. Road riding only, spirited canyon carving.
    I currently own a 2016 R1200R, we toured a lot on it, it did great, but we definitely need something with more space and better weather protection. Since I'm already riding a boxer, some would say that the GS is the obvious choice for the next bike, but I'm not sure... I find the boxer a bit agricultural, rough gearbox and QS, and although it has a lot of torque in the bottom rpm's, which is great, I find it boring when it comes to dynamic riding. It's definitely a mile eater, not a racer. All my previous bikes were inline 4's, and I really like that type of an engine. Better sound too :) But that boxer torque is also great :)
    I'm sure that the GS is perfect for 2 up touring, but if an XR could do that job at least close as GS, maybe 70%, I would definitely go for it. It definitely suits my needs, I don't know about pillion. That is unfortunately something you can't see on a short 2 up test ride...
  18. Scourge

Oddometer:
    I can also give you my opinion here quickly.

On the road the XR is similar in ergos and comfort for the rider but much lighter, faster and more nimble than the GS. It is a much better sport touring rig for that sort of riding but I never ride 2-up so I can't comment on that except to note that I wouldn't want to sit on the back. If you ride solo, aggressively at times and like to sound like a ferrari instead of an air compressor... XR wins hands down.

On gravel and well maintained fire roads the XR is still lighter and more nimble than the GS. No issues at all. It's tighter suspension and less aggressive tread options in 17" tires can make it a little more challenging to hustle but it will hustle just fine. I wish I could turn off the rear ABS. But... if you only ride the same kind of dirt roads that people live on and school buses stop along... XR still wins.

On actual off-road ATV stuff... well... I've done it but there are a lot of expensive plastic bits and unprotected vitals to consider when making mistakes. I'm a knucklehead - I would also do these things with a S1000RR but in general ya shouldn't. The GS is tougher, has better traction and gearing for it ... even if everyone riding one off road except for out of necessity on a long trip would do better on a smaller dirt oriented machine. GS all the way unless the new KTM 790 is on the table.

IMO, the GS is a great travel bike in the same way a Toyota Forerunner is a great travel vehicle. It's not really that great at anything but it will do anything you ask of it pretty well. I traded my GS because 80% of my riding was for fun, sporty travel and I got tired of the weight and front end pushing. There is a balance point where I'd ride miles and miles to great twisty roads but then have to push a 650lb bike around on them. Don't get me wrong... the GS would go pretty well but the XR was the right answer for me. I've got 30k miles on it and reliability has not been an issue at all... oil analysis is still excellent. if I get to 100k I will declare it to be the best motorcycle ever. Stay tuned... there are days where I do miss the lazy engine and extra wind protection of the GS and I'm prone to Moto ADD so... ;)
  19. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a week in Colorado, brought my XR and GSA out with me on a trailer, stayed in Montrose (I have a terrific Air B&B recommendation if you want it).

I had some routes planned out and figured I would alternate days on bikes, several of the roads I took I had been on before and due to some health issues I didn't ride much last year and wanted to slowly work my way back up to speed.

Some background, I have over 300K miles on two other GSA's and I really loved the bikes, I had sold my last one (a 2010) about 4 years ago, I wasn't really looking to add another to the stable but I became interested again when the "Shifty's" were released, I went to my crack, err, I mean my BMW dealer for a test ride, really wasn't that impressed with the Shifty but I did realize I missed the GSA as a riding platform, long story short, I made a great deal on a new '18 and took it home, I should also add that this was the first time I rode a "Wethead" as well.

I did a bit of work to my XR before I left, I wanted to put some risers on it so I figured when I got the replacement nuts for bottom handlebar cradle (replace the nuts every time you take them off) I also got the new rubber inserts, didn't like the risers but put everything else back together, I also put a set of Perrelli Scorpions on (about the best tire for off-road).

On the first day I took the GSA up over Uncompahgre plateau riding various states of gravel, dirt, and a bit of snow mixed in, was a good ride but boring as the only thing you saw was trees, I kicked off of Divide road and went down to Nucla and took Hwy 141 (one of the best riding roads in Colorado) through Gateway and back up to Hwy 50. The next day I took out the XR and did about a 450 mile day going to Cortez, over Wolf Creek Pass and then too Hwy 149 out of Southfork, it is advertised as a 100+ mile road with no stop lights or signs, once I got out of Creede and the road got interesting going up Slumgullion Pass the XR and I just let loose, I bombed that pass three years earlier on the XR when I took it on a trip to the coast, it was a riot then but this time without bags and gear it was a whole new adventure, wow... I rolled into Lake City and found myself behind another "BMW Type" rider (you know, Roadcrafter type suit, aluminium panniers with additional reflective tape...) and figured when I got back to the open road I would just leave him in the dust like the occasional Harley group I would pass, got out of town and it became obvious that this guy could ride and he liked to go fast, I fell in behind him and rode together all the way to highway 50 until I turned off into Black Canyon, he didn't wave at any other bikes but he gave me a hearty wave when I turned off, I didn't even get the make/model bike he was riding (believe it was a Kawasaki though).

The rest of the days were more of the same (quick thought, take Forest Road 12 out of Crested Butte and then up to Carbondale, beautiful ride but make sure that you don't pick the one day of the year they decide to put a flood of biblical proportions of Mag-Chloride on the road, made for a real "butt-pucker" ride, the road is pretty much packed dirt, and other time you could ride any bike on it).

So, if your still with me what am I getting at? Short and sweet, the XR is the only bike I should have brought along and I do not really have a use for the GSA anymore, I was never bothered by vibrations but I had one of the first delivery XR's and the new isolators did minimize them even more. The bike is just such a great all around ride, tranny (OK, woman in comfortable shoes) is one of the best, you can be riding the hell out of it and she is just screaming at you to pound her harder and you know a gear change is only a seamless blip away, the GSA on the other-hand, even with the improved transmission and quick shifter, is just a nightmare, I didn't even bother to use it, clutch worked better.

I really don't know what the GSA's future is, I hope that it finds it's place in my riding rotation, but for 2 up the K16GT is my go-to bike and my 60 mile round trip commute belongs to my C650GT scooter (don't knock it until you try it!), we will see...

Here are some of my SPOT points from the ride:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eNpx_hAi1jk8lueb8JjTZn2PilJfR7s4&usp=sharing
    O.C. Mike, Highbeam, Dirtleg and 3 others like this.
  20. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the information needed to steer you in the right direction. The XR has your name written all over it. For spirited canyon riding it is vastly superior to the GS. The XR is not an Adventure bike but rather a comfortable Sport bike than can handle touring duty when called upon. When I am going out to play I take the XR. When I go on an errand run I take the GS. The GS is a fantastic all around bike and handles leisurely duty a bit better than the XR. The XR is a thoroughbred and is just a tad bit out of its element when floating along in an urban setting. It can handle it just fine but you always know it would rather be playing in the canyons.

Both bikes can meet your needs but I believe an XR will put a bigger smile on your face. The XR has the best chassis around. It is super stable and extremely precise. This is a bike that you can take to the track at the drop of the hat, and, if you are skilled rider, embarrass some folks on full on sport bikes.

I agree with your comments on the boxer although the 1250 is much improved. It lost some of that agricultural feeling. The gearbox and QS on the XR is far better than the GS.

The one thing I would like to see on the XR is the addition of a TFT instrument panel. It is nothing short of fantastic. Ultra clear and extremely well laid out with all the information just a toggle or two away.
    Iron Rey likes this.