BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. mikes'gs

mikes'gs what R U looking at Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah this sections pretty informative I follow the 310gs thread also again pretty informative I don't even own the XR anymore but check this thread often
  2. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're going there next month, looking forward to it
    Iron Rey likes this.
  3. jskene

jskene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.s1000xr.uk is pretty good, and has a much more useful structure than the single thread of this one.

That said, I always read this one as well.
  4. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't that what the ABS button is for? (Granted I don't have an XR and am not too familiar with the model.)
  5. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It turns off all the ABS. With a 17" street tire there are no situations where I want the front to lock but sliding the rear would be handy. Basically what Enduro mode does on a GS... Disable the rear ABS and leave the front be less aggressive.
    Actionable Mango likes this.
  6. BRoddy

BRoddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A week to remember.......

I left home a week ago Sunday. Rode from the Minneapolis area to Buffalo, WY, 747 miles. Good ride especially through the deserted 80mph speed limit state highways in SD. felt pretty good the whole ride. Had to put on rain gear in Granite Falls, MN and was able to remove in Pierre, SD. Rode state highways until Sturgis then jumped on I90 toward Buffalo.

Monday I made my way 520 miles to Salt Lake City and the roads on this stretch were some of the best. Beautiful scenery and good curvy roads. A bit of construction and a few single lanes but overall a very good route.

Tuesday and half Wednesday were work related. Wednesday 3PMish rode to Moab, 280 some miles. Nothing spectacular on that stretch and I avoided most of the major roads. Lots of 35-45 mph zones. No good for me, but the scenery wasn't too bad.

Thursday rode about 670 miles from Moab to Fort Collins, mostly avoiding I70. Lots of great roads, also lots of 35-45 speed limits out in the middle of nowhere - what's up with that? I need to go back and write the good ones down before I forget, for the next trip (141 was very good). I'd do it again in a second.

Started hearing a ticking sound as I was coming into Fort Collins. Couldn't figure out what it was. It varied with the throttle and was drowned out by the engine and wind at higher speeds. Will have it checked out at my local dealer when I get back.

Friday headed towards Sioux Falls on some CO, and NE looking for state roads (started on I80). At 125 miles from Fort Collins, north of Kimball, NE. I think I feel a slight hesitation in the bike, was it the wind? Nope, there it is again, then it seems to lose all power, and I see black smoke coming out the exhaust. Shit. Pull in the clutch and the engine is still running. Let it out give it gas, nothing. Pull it back in, barely coast into driveway on left. It was about 11:20 AM.

Call my dealer and they give me the BMW roadside number. I call it. Lots of repeat questions, not the best signal, this goes on for at least 20 minutes. They're going to find me a tow back to Fort Collins. Shit, wrong way, I'm headed NE. I'm in communication with roadside assistance and then finally a towing company (now we're 2 hours in). Tow truck is at least 3 hours out. Nice. Glad I have water and some snack bars, and a phone charger, and my iPad with a couple episodes of Mind Hunter downloaded.

No sighs of life at the house I'm parked near (old farm house) so I walked around a bit to kill the time. Finally saw the house I was parked near had some life. An older man outside and his dog barking at me. I went up and spoke to him, let him know I was camped out there for a bit. No problem. His dog and I became good friends.

Finally the tow truck shows up about 5PM. I hitched a ride back to the dealership (which was closed) with the tow truck driver. Interesting fellow. Talked a bit too much about himself for my taste, but at least the stories were somewhat interesting and unusual. No car rental places with a one-way rental available open past 6. It was 7:30ish when we arrived.

I took an Uber to DEN airport, rented a car, drove a few hours and grabbed a cheap hotel. Made it home by 7ish on Saturday.

The Ft Collins BMW dealer called me on Weds afternoon. They drained the oil and some metal chunks or shavings or something came out. They sent the report to BMW and are awaiting further instruction.

Glad I still have my trusty RC51 which hasn't given me an ounce of trouble in over 19 years (and it was a first model year, my XR is a 2018). Too bad it's not more comfortable on long trips.

So for anyone reading this, if you hear a ticking sound, stop riding and get it checked out right away. I'd read pretty much every post in this thread, and going back I see others had pointed this out earlier, too bad my memory sucks. IMG_0556.JPG
    Somewhere near Thermopolis, WY.

Later,
    Brian
  7. Lee113

Lee113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure you have the same cam issues I experienced, albeit worse than I had. I heard the ticking on my way to work and immediately took the XR to my dealership. BMW North America has a service bulletin (because BMW will never do a recall) for this issue and it should be covered under warranty.

Even with this issue, it seems as though you had an epic trip!!!:-)
    Dirtleg likes this.
  8. Scourge

Oddometer:

How many miles on the odometer? I'm way out of warranty so this talk makes me nervous.
  9. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Second picture looks like it is just outside TenSleeps, great road.

Sux about the bike, glad your OK, also interested in how many miles on the bike.
  10. BRoddy

BRoddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4967 miles on the odometer. It had around 2700 when I started the trip.
  11. Scourge

Oddometer:
    I'm at 40k and I'm hoping it's one of those "if it hasn't happened by now it's not going to" sort of issues. It sucks that it ruined your trip but at least you will not have to dig deep to pay for a new motor on top of it.
    Iron Rey likes this.
  12. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems the cams eat themselves early.

My '16 has 48k miles on it so far and no sign of a cam issue yet.
  13. BRoddy

BRoddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was the low point of the trip for sure, however prior to the incident I logged over 2k miles of mostly great riding on the trip, the last 800 or so were going to be flat and not too exciting anyways, and I kept telling myself 'at least I didn't lay it down or get hurt'. Plus, the cost will be picked up by BMW warranty. I've been stranded in the woods for several hours due to a faulty fuel pump in my Husaberg, no cell signal, no mosquito spray, no food, no way a tow truck could haul be out....that was worse. My biggest concern, as others have mentioned, is the long term reliability. I'd go for something more bulletproof, but none of those bikes have the excitement the XR has (as a touring bike). I'll keep my fingers crossed any my ears tuned to the engine moving forward.
    YakSpout likes this.
  14. Lee113

Lee113 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :pope
    I’ve put almost 2k miles on since my cam issue and it’s been smooth sailing... knock on wood...
    YakSpout likes this.
  15. mikes'gs

Oddometer:
    bummer glad you got home safely...no more german 4 cyl for me and if you have 40k on your XR your probably good as the soft cam lobes are a hit and a miss
    they are still using same ones so again it's a hit and a miss
  16. Scourge

Oddometer:
    That's my hope - if mine were from the wrong bin they should have failed by now or filled the oil with enough glitter for me to notice. I have not really had any issues to speak of with this bike except for having to replace the cam chain tensioner with a manually adjustable one. I like it enough that if the head came apart tomorrow I'd be looking for a low miles junkyard donor engine to swap in. There must be plenty of '15+ RRs that got stuffed by now.
    Iron Rey and YakSpout like this.
  17. mikes'gs

Oddometer:
    a friend of mine and a member here has 50k rides everywhere and has no issues ,another person i know has 65k no issues i believe that if you get past 30k you have a great fucking bike
    YakSpout likes this.
  18. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion Supporter

Oddometer:
    I figure the same thing. If the motor goes, I'll track down a binned S1000 motor and swap it in.
  19. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    I was pretty sure I was gonna trade a wasser GS for one. Now that I’ve read about this cam issue I’m having second thoughts.
  20. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So - the rear differential didn't explode into flames yet?