1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    During some research re battery replacement, I stumbled upon the fact that the dealer had the wrong battery fitted from new. Pn 61 21 8 531 108 (Deka ETX9). Though the battery fitted was made in Brazil and a lower spec again, (80CCA vs the Deka claimed 120CCA) so maybe it is a MOURA battery.

I optioned mine with the alarm system, and part of the installation instructions for that is to fit a larger capacity battery. Pn 61 21 8 544 472 (Deka ETX12)

Really wanted to fit a Lithium for the longer life, but reports from Clearwater is that their lights flicker with the Lithium batteries. That has been confirmed as a problem by 2 lithium battery manufacturers and that a fix is still a little way off.

Now waiting to see if they will give me a discount on the replacement - their first response was that 18 months is not an unreasonable life.

Not looking for a freebie, but some acknowledgement of their screwup and a discount would be nice. Stay posted ....
  2. bahnzii

bahnzii Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A small PSA for those with some high mileage...I currently have over 59,000 miles.
    I was having intermittent hiccups with the quickshifter and the cruise control not working. I knew the most likely culprit was a failing microswitch on the clutch lever.
    I ordered a new microswitch and installed it today. After a test ride, everything is working great again.
    For those of you experiencing similar problems, look into replacing your microswitch if you are outside of the warranty.
    It's a simple, one screw (t6) and ziptie install.
    Here is the part information:
    Item: DUAL MICROPHONE SWITCH - 61318529368

The cost from an online dealer was $80 + tax.
    Cheers!!
  3. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a quick post-ride wiring check... I couldn't find anything loose. I didn't go crazy and take everything apart... I'll leave that for the techs that'll do the warranty work.
    YakSpout likes this.
  4. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :jack
  5. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Mine did the same thing around 40k. Easy fix, just like you posted.
  6. Deano747

Oddometer:
    Good news re my battery. BMW have replaced it under warranty which was unexpected & welcomed.
    Replacement battery is larger physically but fits in the space OK.
    Downside is that the new battery is still made in Brazil and only 100CCA but 10A.
    And - it was free!
    budsboy and Iron Rey like this.
  7. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dropped the XR to the dealership yesterday afternoon. Hopefully, I'll know within the next few days why my dash turned into a pinball machine. On a good note, I have a 2020 R1250 RS as a loaner until i get the XR back. The one I rode previously (from the BMW demo fleet) didn't handle nearly as nice as this one. If something catastrophic happens to the XR, this RS may be the next one in the stable... :D
    Dirtleg, Iron Rey and Sticky Throttle like this.
  8. Sticky Throttle

Sticky Throttle Happy wanderer

Oddometer:
    Nothing beats an XR. But the new RS is very nice. Hopefully they don't have your XR too long... :lol3

Attached Files:

Dirtleg likes this.
  9. sscol

sscol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    36k on my 2016 XR and I have had this happen. Both times it was a loose battery connection, seriously it was that simple. I now loctite the battery screws and the problem has never come back.
    Dirtleg, Deano747 and Sticky Throttle like this.
  10. Deano747

Oddometer:
    Battery.
  11. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope... not the battery. My bike is in pieces at the dealership as I write this. The battery was the first thing they checked and all cells were perfect. They’ve run diagnostics and are tracing all the wiring to check for any hidden problems. My service advisor told me not to expect it back this week.
    On a happier note, they’ve given me a new RS to ride until the XR is fixed. My son and I had a fun ride today... 805BCFDF-575C-4C8B-A0CF-DE19C66C662A.jpeg
  12. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those RS's look really nice. How's your son coming to grips with the Yamaha?
  13. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He has taken to it like a duck to water. We replaced the stock clip-ons with Heli Trac-Star bars that lifted him up about 1.5 inches and improved his leverage. It’s a huge change from the 390 Duke, but he’s enjoying it... especially the improved wind protection...:lol3
    Dirtleg, YakSpout and hypersports like this.
  14. Dirtleg

Dirtleg Don't touch yer hands Supporter

Oddometer:
    I test rode the RS before buying the XR. It really is a fine handling bike. I almost went that direction. Still have days I wonder but the XR is a better bike for me.
  15. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The XR eats the RS....
    Dirtleg likes this.
  16. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I'd like to test ride the RS, looks alone, very cool. Well maybe the muffler would need to go.
  17. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    By the numbers I’m sure it does. In the real world they’re a lot closer.
    Dirtleg likes this.
  18. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I owned an XR and had an RS for 3 hrs. The XR eats it. Different bikes.
    Dirtleg likes this.
  19. Dirtleg

Dirtleg Don't touch yer hands Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a track oh yes no contest. XR.

Either bike can get you jail time if ridden to nowhere close to its limits on the street.

I did buy the XR and don't regret it at all. Just have good memeries of my ride on the RS.
  20. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the BMW service advisors told me on Saturday not to expect my XR back anytime soon. They can't seem to find what's causing the issue and have referred my case to the engineers at BMW Motorrad North America... :hmmmmm

As much as I like the RS as a loaner, I really miss my XR.