BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will be waiting a while...
    scfrank, Tor and MrVvrroomm like this.
  2. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, since you last had a chain driven bike, things have moved on. A lot. There are some great non flick lubes, and awesome cleaners, that just dissolve chain grease, without the need to scrub away for hours.

I’ve had loads of GS’s, and was also anti chain, as I’m super OCD about looking after my bikes. But with these products, it really isn’t an issue any more. Have a look for SDOC100 products, and you’ll see what I’m talking about. ;)
    side-burn likes this.
  3. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's take this super sport bike, add (unsprung) weight, remove horsepower, screw up the rear suspension, fix it so there is no way to change the gearing, and - make it cost more.
    Sounds like a plan . . .
    Lee113 and Deano747 like this.
  4. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Ridden one?

:dunno
  5. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe he is talking about the downside of a shaft drive on the XR...
    YakSpout likes this.
  6. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Ah, gotcha.

Mea culpa.
  7. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine --

Attached Files:

YakSpout likes this.
  8. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using an automatic oiler with pump. Cross drilled the plastic swingarm protector such that the oil is fed to the inside of the chain, and is spread out over the chain before it hits the front sprocket. Oil line runs behind the protector. Installation is invisible.
    It's the Pro-Oiler with the GPS function, so it oils based on distance with a reduced rate if it sees continued constant speed. I have it on about the very lowest setting. Got it primarely because of the pump, which is made by Gotec Switzerland. Spec sheet of the pump:

https://www.clarksol.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/EMX08.pdf
    (the one i have is wired, so not with the spades)
  9. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Sounds super nice but, dare I say, a little overkill?
    Iron Rey likes this.
  10. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Scott Oiler for the 28,000 miles I have on my XR. I recently took it off because it quit working properly. With the new chains available I think you really prolonging the life of the sprockets more-so than the chain with the lubricant/oil. I did over 20,000 miles with the oiler with the OEM chain. When I changed it the sprockets still looked really good, I did change the sprockets with the chain kit I bought. My sons XR still has the OEM chain and is over 20,000. Doesn't show any abnormal wear. He sprays lube on it every other fill up, if he remembers. He plans to change Sprockets and Chain before any long trip this summer. So with his experience I'm just going to spray mine from now on with Tri-Flow when I fill up.
    budsboy and MUDHWY like this.
  11. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Completely different. Not comparable. Its like comparing a thoroughbred and a draft horse :lol3

[​IMG]
  12. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While they may look similar, the only thing they have in common is the colour choice and the BMW roundel.

IMG_1563.JPG IMG_1564.JPG
    Tor, YakSpout and budsboy like this.
  13. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

For an outstanding sport tourer.
  14. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had each, a 16 XR and a 17 GS. They are completely different. Got tired of picking the GS up off road and now have a KTM 790. More better off road. Am loving the new XR. GS is great bike on the road, no doubt. But, that 160 HP and the S transmission? Love it. I'm now thinking I need two bikes. On and off road. The XR sounds great for on road. Only question is if I can find the funds for a new one.

Shaft vs. Chain? Had more issues with the shaft on my GS than the chain on the XR. The chain is right out in the open so you can see if it needs maintenance. The shaft, not so much. I didn't realize I needed to drain the rear end of the shaft drive if I rode through a stream. I've seen lots of videos of people riding up rivers. By the time I decided to check it out, it was rusty as hell. Decided to open it up and change rear end oil and lube the splines each time I changed the engine oil. Now, will admit I never actually had a failure and the service manager said "They all do that". But, I find a chain much simpler and really no more maintenance.
    Iron Rey, Tor and Deano747 like this.
  15. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
    The chain is also a pretty significant part of the bike's anti-squat, keeping the rear suspension controlled / extended, together with swing-arm angle, during acceleration. The larger the rear sprocket, the larger the chain-drive's anti-squat assist.
    Iron Rey likes this.
  16. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chain maintenance made easy.
    This
    [​IMG]and [​IMG]
    A quarter turn as I am leaving the gas stop.
    Clean the dirt off when needed with WD 40 on a rag.
    If any does get on the wheel alcohol wipes it right off.
  17. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Bullitt Bike

Bullitt Bike Adventure Touring Fan

Oddometer:
    I am looking for honest opinion from other XR owners. Here is a new tire that Dunlop will begin to import in May, and I am looking at this for my '18 XR because I need to be able to do basic gravel roads with my bike. Let me know your honest opinions, thanks
    s-l140.jpg

Dunlop Mutant in 190 55 17 and the corresponding front in 120 70 17. https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle/tires/mutant.MUTANT.html#/
  19. BMW_Ken

BMW_Ken BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    Did your side cases come with the graphics or did you add them?
  20. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Street tire work fine on Gravel roads. Those Dunlops won't be better for the Gravel Roads than regular tires. Get the best road tires available for your XR. Probably the Michelin Road five would be my choice if I had a lot of gravel to do. I took my XR on a lot of Gravel Roads in Colorado with Pirelli Angel GT's and they worked fine, as good as any 20/80 tires I've used in the past.
    andredl likes this.