BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BANNABLE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I'm definitely not here to bash BMW 4 cylinder bikes
    I had 2K bikes in the mid-2000s that were plagued with cam chain issues that were a constant worry
    And then the soft cam lobes that wore out on my XR with only 24K on it I
    admit I didn't baby it I'm just tired of the delicate four bangers of German descent
    with prior Honda and Kawasakis I've owned mileage reliability andperformance we're always consistent and maintenance low..
    The XR was probably the funnest by bike I've owned that's why I missed the 4-cylinder
    And have always admired the FJr's as well as their reliability and low maintenance compared to a BMW...
    For the record I truly love the twins of BMW...
    Lee113 likes this.
  2. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that feedback. If fun is part of your buying considerations, the FJR may not fill the bill. Great stonking engine, very good side cases, shaftie, nice looking, but...boring IMO. YMMV. :-)
    MUDHWY likes this.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Boring might be a bit strong. Capable and versatile come to mind. I get what you're saying though... Different bike than the XR, SDGT, Tuono, Multi, etc.
  4. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Go RT.
  5. Lee113

Lee113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '19 XR was a victim of the soft cam issue as well. Mine occurred at 3500 miles... The RS they gave me as a long term loaner has ended up in my garage...:jack

I had a '13 FJR and it was a great bike! I was still in my true sportbike / track days stage then and used the FJR for commuting and my RC-51 and CBR600 as track bikes. The FJR is one of those bikes that does everything well.
  6. mikes'gs

Oddometer:
    it would be a 2nd bike to my MIGHTY GS!!
    DMack_762 likes this.
  7. Fundamental

Fundamental Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="mikes'gs, post: 40093574, member: 278348"
    And have always admired the FJr's as well as their reliability and low maintenance compared to a BMW...
    For the record I truly love the twins of BMW...[/QUOTE]

I had a FJR for a long time & 100k miles. Not bashing the bike and I wouldn't say it was necessarily unreliable, but I had more maintenance costs & recalls with it than I had with any of my BMW's so far. It nearly left me stranded in the middle of Death Valley once with an ignition key issue. Also, while of the big tourers they are the most nimble, they are heavy and ponderous no matter what anyone says. That said, great distance bike, I just couldn't deal with the weight anymore.
    budsboy likes this.
  8. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:

How many thousands (tens of thousands perhaps) of previous owners had the opposite experience though of stone-axe reliability and high mileage? I have two friends that had Fee-Jers with over 75K miles and just routine maintenance and tires. Basically...YMMV.

Anyways, back to XR's!
  9. mikes'gs

Oddometer:
    I had a FJR for a long time & 100k miles. Not bashing the bike and I wouldn't say it was necessarily unreliable, but I had more maintenance costs & recalls with it than I had with any of my BMW's so far. It nearly left me stranded in the middle of Death Valley once with an ignition key issue. Also, while of the big tourers they are the most nimble, they are heavy and ponderous no matter what anyone says. That said, great distance bike, I just couldn't deal with the weight anymore.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed this post

it would be a 2nd bike to my MIGHTY GS!!
  10. Fundamental

Fundamental Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did like the FJR or I wouldn't have rode it as much as I did. Things I did like were 1. The electric windshield, 2. The little dash in the fairing, 3. The thermostatic heated grips, 4. The wind protection, 5. How the panniers mounted, 6. It was comfortable for long slab trips.

But I like the XR like 1000x more ;-)
    bmac and Iron Rey like this.
  11. Yearroundrider

Yearroundrider Tim.

Oddometer:
    Added the xr high seat to it. Holy smokes it’s a GS now. Ok not quite but pretty damn close comfort wise.
    ausfahrt likes this.
  12. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    So this just arrived...

IMG_20200524_074523.jpg

I'm hoping that I can get it installed this week...
    Yearroundrider and MUDHWY like this.
  13. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Dare I ask how much Yak? I am going to replace mine on my '16 in the fall, TracTive is the one I am leaning towards, but would value your thoughts after a couple of thousand miles.
  14. YakSpout

Oddometer:
    $895, plus the donor OEM shock I picked up off ebay. That was about $200.

My OEM shock has a bad sensor in the preload motor and is throwing an ESA calibration error, so I figured it's time to upgrade. The shop wanted to put a new OEM shock in, but they're about $3000. When I stopped laughing, I called Ted at Beemershop.

@Z3n installed the TracTive already and wrote up some impressions, but I'll be happy to share once I get a feel for it.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-s1000xr-sports-tourer.954716/page-187#post-31155234

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-s1000xr-sports-tourer.954716/page-187#post-31160358
    andredl and Iron Rey like this.
  15. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    That's for a couple of bad cookies too.
    YakSpout likes this.
  16. YakSpout

Oddometer:
    And you can't forget the stickers. :)
  17. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    You will be most-impressed. I have one on a VFR right now (also set-up by Ted himself) and it transformed the bike.
    andredl and YakSpout like this.
  18. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps, the new XR really could have benefitted from shift cam technology after all.
  19. ConnorHudson

ConnorHudson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of trouble believing this. The new bike is lighter and producing the same output based on significantly increased emissions restrictions. Brentuning already dyno'ed one in the low 150's stock and nearly 160whp on bone stock bike with a simple flash. I've never seen the first gen dyno over 165 or so at the wheel with intake, decat, etc.

I personally still wish they went with the shiftcam but everything I can find still makes it appear to be a better bike overall. Still trying to track down a demo so we'll see.
  20. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new gearing may have something to do with this also.