BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    OK great. That makes sense. I just ordered the Skene unit you suggested. Hopefully you make a few bucks. :-) Thank you for solving my issue.
    sonnystile likes this.
  2. jskene

jskene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy to help.

PM me if you have any questions.
    WindBlast likes this.
  3. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been riding my new (to me) 2016 bike daily since I picked it up two weeks ago. Mostly commuting. It is fantastic. I’m coming from a background of very analog bikes, and while I still have an affinity for wrenching and riding on old bikes, this thing is so sweet and smooth and angry if you want it to be, it is just lovely.

I do have some questions for those of you with more experience with this model.

Mine is a basic UK model (no cruise control, ride modes are rain and road only). It has an MRA screen, and full set of SHAD cases.

My question is about the hardware and features on the bike.

Is upgrading to include dynamic modes very expensive?

The quick shifter feels like it has both up and downshifting. The guy I bought it from always used the clutch. Is there a way to know by looking at it what it has? Or by feel? I’ve never ridden a quick shifter, and I’m adept at shifting without a clutch (thank you vintage bikes and old clutch cables). I just want to be sure I know what I am working with.

On the seat, I think there was a low and standard seat. Any way of knowing which I have? I touch the ground easily, but I’m long limbed, so it would be odd if I couldn’t. Any advice on comfort of seats available for the s1000xr? HP seat? Sargent? Corbin? Russell day long? Seat covers?

I think that is all for now.

Once I get the title back in my name, I’m going to get a full BMW service and look over and pick the brain of my local shop, but I am searching for some wisdom before then.

Cheers,

CAW
  4. WindBlast

Oddometer:
    If you have the low seat I have a Corbin one to trade. It is way more comfy than stock but it is taller. Too tippy toe for me.

And the quick shift works on up and down shifts.
    CAW likes this.
  5. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm. If I can figure out whether I have the low or the standard I’ll let you know. I’m in Maine, not sure where you are located. Shipping a Corbin can get pricey, though the s1000xr version may not be that heavy.
  6. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried a bunch of seats (I think a total of 6) as I am tall and needed additional leg room. My favorite was the Russell Day Long (for sale in flea market), followed by Wunderlich (too expensive) then Sargent. The RDL is about 2" taller than stock. The BMW HP seat wasn't bad but I would take a Sargent over it.
    GlennR and CAW like this.
  7. Uncle Punk

Uncle Punk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how to tell you by looking at your bike but it should be easy to experience it working if you have it especially if you are used to shifting without the clutch on bike that doesn't come equipped with a quick shifter/auto blipper. The quick shifter/auto blipper works the opposite way clutchless shifting works. With the quick shifter you have to be on the gas for it to work reliably and with the auto blipper you have to be off the gas for it to work reliably. There are times when those rules can be broken but I can't define when those times are. With clutchless shifting you have to be off of the gas coming from loaded transmission to upshift and still on the gas with an unloaded transmission to downshift.
    CAW likes this.
  8. WindBlast

Oddometer:
    I am in NJ near Philly.
  9. jonjazzblue

jonjazzblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a test ride on a 2017 XR and also sat on others. While I loved the engine, quick shifter, handling and other electronic doodads I felt locked into place on the standard seat. At 6'3" / 35" inseam, the locked in position felt cramped and I did not think it would be comfortable after the first 100 miles. I currently ride a Triumph Tiger 1050 and the cockpit is roomier and allows me to move around on long rides. On the standard XR seat I can flat foot with bent knees, so a 2" taller seat would not be a problem. My question to you guys - is there a seat option that provides more room and comfort?
  10. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 6'2" with a 35" inseam and your experience mirrors mine. The RDL was the only seat that was all day comfortable. It really transformed the bike but you do sit more on top of the bike rather than in it.
    Iron Rey and Swamper like this.
  11. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Spot on with the RDL. It moved me to far up, I'm 6'0".
  12. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I had an RDL on my '16 and got one for my '20. Fun Fact, My 16 and 20 were the first XR seats that Russell did, they said the '20 was one of the toughest seats they tackled and were glad that it was a ride in.
    bmac likes this.
  13. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My BMW accessory tall seat works well for my 34" inseam. Have done a few long days with it - do have a sheep skin I use when needed.
    Seato.jpg
  14. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:

What lights are mounted on your XR and the brackets u used
  15. munsterlander

munsterlander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suspension: low or standard? Difference?
    In inching up on adding a 2020+ S1000XR to the garage.
    What exactly is different with factory low suspension. I’ve heard people say they handle differently.
    Is it strictly ground clearance you lose, or is suspension travel or other things different too?
    Is there a BMW document that explains the actual changes between low and standard?
    I ‘ve owned BMWs but always standard suspension.
    On the XR I will add a Russell seat which will add around two inches, so thought I might consider low suspension.
    Thanks!
  16. CBejbl

CBejbl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of seats, do Sargent and Wunderlich have seats for the 2021 XR? Seems their sites don’t specifically address the 20-21 models. Other than RDL and Corbin, what other aftermarket seats are Y’all aware of? TIA

...My bad, I see the Sargent site does include 2020+ models
  17. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clearwater Darla/Erica/Sevina lights. Don't remember the crash bar make.
    Lights1.jpg
  18. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brought this home Friday. Very happy. upload_2021-6-6_13-46-39.jpeg
    Deano747, budsboy and TBTSyncro like this.
  19. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    64462177394__796AB359-F236-4B46-84ED-70221352AB7E.jpg

Did a little camping on mine this weekend!

(Just shuttling that back to the campsite...)

Totally lost my footing making a slow speed Uturn on a steep, sandy boat ramp.

Slowest.

Drop.

Ever.

I tried mightily to save it, but it’s tall and top heavy compared to my GS. I knew I couldn’t save it when the angle had me revving the motor on the way down.

Everyone watching had a good laugh...

Myself included!
    Dirt2007 and BruceWA like this.
  20. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a couple Gen 1 parts available after trading in.
    Tinted MRA Vario Windscreen. Good condition with 10k miles use. $110 Shipped.
    Givi Rear Rack Case Mount, P/N SRA 5119. Installed but never used. $100 Shipped.
    I may have the EvoTech bar end weights available, but I haven't decided if I need to re-use them. They aren't as necessary on the new bike, but they may work.

Just swapped from my '18 to a '21. It's still a great bike, and honestly improved, but I have 3 pretty minor gripes.
    1. The seat is not as comfortable, however I am going from the high seat to the standard, but the edges of the '21 where it curves up do cut into my rear and legs. I need a break after an hour or so and had no such issue on the older HP High seat.
    2. Wind buffeting is still poor. Mine came with the High option windscreen and it is pretty bad for my 6'0 body. Up or down and looks like I'll have to buy another MRA Vario Screen. The high screen takes all the wind off my chest and is too warm for GA in the summer. I'm getting some terrible turbulence as it hits me directly in the visor in the low position and the top of the helmet in the high. So the high screen is available if it may work for someone else. Taller or shorter, it could work fine.
    3. The most minor, but also the biggest disappointment, the programmed popping from the exhaust is not on the Gen2. It was one of my favorite aspects of my '18 and satisfied my inner 13 year old (and also why I like the exhaust tunes on the BM Cars as well).

Other than that, I like the rest of the bike more than the '18. Suspension is better, but still has that one extra wallow before it takes set and rails. It needs more low speed comp and rebound damping for me at 220lbs. I'll play with heavier preload, even though it was set to Auto.
    MariusD, Wolf_ADV and budsboy like this.