BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got 40mpg until I added a BrenTune to it, now it's around 33mpg. The power, tc and fueling is worth every bit of it.

Last week a set of custom ordered Dymag forged aluminum wheels arrived. Mounted em up and slapped new rubber on.

They're unbelievably light.

PXL_20210617_234856353.jpg PXL_20210617_042116307.jpg
  2. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BOTTOM DWELLER Supporter

Oddometer:
    f#k gas mileage if you want that...get a prius :lol3
    rick danger and Iron Rey like this.
  3. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got two
  4. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I just finished my 1st oil change and it appears that I can't reset the service light without a special scanner & app. :hmmmmm:dirtdog

I'm really impressed by how GOOD the engine sounds with fresh oil. :raabia It's always surprising how much smoother engines sound after an oil change, but the S1000XR was exceptionally so.

Btw, I made a huge mess. I spilled 75% of the oil on the floor. I'd tried to use an old 1-quart oil bottle, cut off to make an offset funnel since the drain hole didn't quite line up with my drain pan. Uhhh, that didn't quite work as planned! The funnel overflowed & went everywhere. I madly tried to use my hand to divert it, but of course, that didn't work either. I had 1/2 a roll of shop paper towels & a 1/4 bag of kitty litter, which wasn't nearly enough... So, off to the grocery to grab a couple more bags (an extra one for "next time"! right? ) I had to clean up before installing the new filter & adding oil. Then had to lay cardboard under the bike, so I could get it off the center stand & roll it back to finish cleaning up the kitty litter mess. I'll have to repeat the event to make a YouTube video of "How not to change the oil on an S1000XR, and how to Expertly clean up the mess afterward."
    Dirtleg and Deano747 like this.
  5. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    untitled-6180018-20210618.jpg
    Have not had any issues at all with my HP seat. I find it fairly comfortable....
  6. Tor

Oddometer:
    I have the Skene that has the accelerometer option. Have never really got accelerometer function to work. The brake light either never comes on, or it stays on constantly, depending on how I set the sensivity :dunno.
  7. Tor

Oddometer:
    A GS911 will reset your service reminder, If this is your first 600 mile oil change, the GS911 will remove the 9K rev. limit as well.
    Solo Moto likes this.
  8. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Feckin' awsome!....my favorite color scheme, the HP is. :nod...if I didnt like a V2 so much....:hmmmmm The XR's are the nicest looking bikes in that category IMO.
  9. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Just completed a quick 450 mile fly and ride to purchase this new ‘21 S1000XR.

742D218F-75D9-434A-AEBC-270BC2E192A3.jpeg

04D215A0-C2DB-4850-BF46-CC1AE8647E87.jpeg

7BCC64F1-BF50-4136-9356-8B0A291812AD.jpeg

Will help keep my ‘17 GSA company in the garage. Will be nice to now get dual benefits from my GS 911 and Nav VI. Let the farkling begin! :wings
  10. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks fantastic. How are the new wheels?
  11. Tor

Oddometer:
    Damn sharp looking bike. Like the color scheme as well. Grats. Enjoy.
    Solo Moto likes this.
  12. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took a good test ride this morning on a 2020 model and have a few questions.

Is the first generation model more powerful below 5,000rpm? I haven't ridden a first generation bike and while the 2020 I rode was plenty fast it was softer at low RPM than what I expected. I much prefer the looks of the new bike but there are a few clean Gen 1 bikes around for thousands less. It would be a three hour drive to get a ride on one. Is it worth it to see the differences in the engine or is it about a wash?

I was super impressed with the suspension. Amazing really. I've read that the suspension on the newer model is a big improvement over the old. Again, is it worth going to check out a Gen 1 bike or are those models so stiff that they beat on you after a long day? I had a back surgery two years ago and really can't take being hammered any more and Illinois roads are terrible.

I noticed some heat on the tops of my feet and lower shins on this morning's ride. Kind of surprising as it wasn't very warm, around 80*, and I kept moving. Not terrible, but noticeable. Any complaints about engine heat riding at higher temps?

The seat. It was better than I imagined it would be sitting on it in the showroom. I know seats are a personal thing but it's not very padded and really locks you in one place. Any comments on how well it works for a 500 mile day? I see there are starting to be some other options, Sargent etc. and the M Sport seat. Anyone try those and care to comment?

The bike I tested had GPS prep. I assume that can be removed? I'll never use it.

Same for the aux LED lights. I hit them with my legs a couple times and would likely want them removed also.

Pretty impressive machine. Loved the suspension and the quick shifter. It had good wind protection and makes wonderful noise when you get on it.

Thanks!
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  13. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I had a '16 and now I have a '20, I did a comparo a few months back and my recommendation really boils down to this; if you have a first gen that you like, no real need to change, the new bikes frame and suspension are better and the top end rolls on better, the seat on gen 2 is horrible IMHO, off the line to 5K is pretty bad (a victim of Euro smog regs), replacing the header with a "catless" one helped, but I am going to write a new map for it as well, or, there is always Brentune, but either will set you back some serious dinero.

Bar risers on the newer model are easily fitted, RDL took care of my seat woes, and it has become the only bike I ride (so-long 2018 GSA), I say if you find a good deal on a first gen, go for it, but buying a second gen is a sound choice as well. If you are concerned about your back though, this may not be the bike for you, especially on the second gen, the ride is tight and sporty.

One question, how the hell do you keep hitting your legs on the Aux lights?
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  14. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol. i was going to ask the same.
  15. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess I'm just talented. :lol3 I do have pretty long legs and managed to hit the back of those lights on both sides at some point today. Contact just below my knee.
    Wolf_ADV and Iron Rey like this.
  16. antariusjp

Oddometer:
    They're so amazing. It's hard to tell if there's a performance improvement even though we know when you shed POUNDS of unsprung weight it is always a benefit. It's just a matter of if I notice.

What I do notice is it turns in faster, as in, requires less bar input. That said, the bars are so wide to begin with it wasn't like it was hard in the first place.

Reality is, the lightweight is a bonus for me. I just love the quality, design, and the color I chose. And that's why I bought them! I'll be at the track in mid July so I should have a better idea of how much better they are performance wise by then.

Finally, DyMag's service and product has been impeccable.
    trapperj likes this.
  17. antariusjp

Oddometer:
    Also a heads up, you can go get BrenTune map with the IAT relocation and airbox flap removal (none of which is hard to do) and all your mid range will come back like on the '16.

Off topic, does anyone know of true plug and play canbus aux lights for a 2016? I don't want to cut or splice any wires.
  18. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clearwater designs.
    WindBlast likes this.
  19. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I had a HEX ezCAN( https://www.hexezcan.com/ ) in mine, ran both the Rigid lights and Stebal horn off it, cost a few bucks, but very worth it.
  20. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    It's what I use. Works great and I added the Billie Brake light as well.
    Deano747 likes this.