BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of those seem to require splicing of wires to plug the light itself into the canbus controller or to a secondary harness which then plugs into the controller.

I'm looking for something with plugs on all connections. Am I being too picky?
  2. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I may not understand your request, at best, with either the Clearwater or HEXcan controller you will have to splice in a matching plug to the lights, Hex supplies them, with Clearwater, I do believe it is "plug and play" with Clearwater lights. WindBlast can set you straight I'm sure, either requires no splicing into the bikes CANbus system, it plugs into the socket used for troubleshooting or the ABS module.
  3. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    There is no splicing or cutting the XRs wiring with the Clearwater CanOpener. There is an unused plug under the seat on the left side (alarm system) that the unit plugs into. You connect your lights to the CanOpener wires. It also supplies you a switched output and a brake light output as well as the aux lights. Lights are then programmed and operated with the wonderwheel and bike switchgear. Just Google CanOpener5 and you can find the instructions for install. It was really easy.
    mikes'gs likes this.
  4. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Check out the Denali system at TwistedThrottle.com

They have the cansmart system which is truly plug and play-no splicing.

I have their D4 LEDs, Soundbomb horn and B6 brake light on my ‘17 R1200 GSA and looking to duplicate same on my new ‘21 XR.

Not cheap, but much less than Clearwater (also a good option).

Was just visiting with them yesterday at the BMW MOA National rally in Great Falls, MT.
  5. WindBlast

Oddometer:
  6. antariusjp

Oddometer:
    Looks like I've got some solutions. Thanks!
  7. Fundamental

Fundamental Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently scored an all black Cobra exhaust off of eBay. Usually these are sold in Europe only, but I always thought they were the best looking replacement for the stock can. Posted a video on YouTube of how it sounds before and after.

Verdict sounds great but not completely different.
    SilentRay and craigincali like this.
  8. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    You need to take the silencers out 7AB83D96-B48D-4BE8-B71B-0CCA19A0E942.jpeg
    Twinguy likes this.
  9. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New seat mounted up (a Russell Day Long). It is quite a change from the factory low seat. It was a change for the better for me as I don’t need the low seat. I’m looking forward to my next long ride to test it out. A short ride today revealed it feels much better, gives me more leg room, and has me sitting up higher over the cockpit (a plus). The MRA screen in the high position still does a good job directing the wind over my head. Its a nice change.
    IMG_5657.jpg
    IMG_5658.jpg
    IMG_5661.jpg
    CBejbl, Iron Rey, SilentRay and 5 others like this.
  10. antariusjp

Oddometer:
    Glad you like it but whoa, not my style.
    craigincali and CAW like this.
  11. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    It may not add to the looks of the bike but they sure do work.
    rick danger likes this.
  12. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is the generic and expected response to a Russel Day Long.

This is not as high profile as some of the saddles I’ve seen on older Airheads, and who can see the saddle when you are riding?

This bike is getting ridden daily. It is my car replacement (commuting and errands), back roads scratcher, mountain pass burner, two up bike, and touring ride. Basically, it is a do it all bike, and it is excellent so far. Better than I expected, and I had high hopes.

The saddle and position feels great so far, but I only have about 30 miles on it. I transitioned from the factory low seat.

Here she is snug with the rest of the stable. Adjustments.jpg
  13. WindBlast

Oddometer:
    I have the black Cobra exhausts as well. Saves a lot of weight but they are definitely louder than stock in Dynamic and Dynamic Pro modes. Like I like!
    Tor likes this.
  14. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I have the same seat on my KTM. I like that design better than the half moon. Seems to keep you from sliding forward a bit more. Also, I had one in leather and it got very slippery if you didnt keep something like mink oil or similar on it. I think vinyl is the better choice. Ugly but comfortable. Thats the Russel IMO. Form or function. Cant beat 'em for long rides.
    CAW likes this.
  15. Iron Rey

Oddometer:
    Don't let them bust your balls CAW, I have my RDL and it looks just like it (the first 1st and 2nd generation seats they made for the XR were my bikes :D) all day comfort and my ass covers the seat when I ride; you will never see it from the rear.:rofl
    GlennR, CAW and bmac like this.
  16. antariusjp

Oddometer:
    CAW, awesome stable!

And I'm not busting anyone's balls! I gave my opinion and I'm equally as glad that he likes HIS bike setup as it is! Just because it's not my style and I gave the opinion - on a forum which is designed to share opinions and ideas - doesn't mean I'm busting balls!

Caw, go ride the piss outta that thing!!!
    CAW, mikes'gs and Iron Rey like this.
  17. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Yes the RDL seats are for the most comfortable but the ugliest seat available. We have bought 7 of them. The last two were for our 2 S1000XR's. All have been ride in appointments were they custom make them while your there. The ones for our XR's were taken back six times each as they just didn't work well with the bikes ergonomics. The problem they said was the way the BMW pan was made they couldn't really make them without adding height about 1.5". This caused our riding position to change drastically and made the overall position on the bike to be seated atop the bike instead of in the proper riding position for us. We finally gave up taking them back and now have Sargent seats which have worked out very well. We tried a number of different seats in the past and I will say the RDL have always been the best except for the XR's. There return policy isn't really what they say it is as they will do everything possible not to refund your money. Like I say having to go back six times for rework on both of these XR seats cost us a lot of time and money let alone I now have two XR RDL seats up in the attic.
    CAW and Iron Rey like this.
  18. Iron Rey

Oddometer:
    We're all good Antariusjp, I was just busting your balls man!
    antariusjp and bmac like this.
  19. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Caw, is that a sv650?
    CAW likes this.
  20. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BOTTOM DWELLER Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've always been lucky with bmw seats ...thank god
    CAW likes this.