BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took no offense. Different strokes and all. It’s my first RDL seat. I rode the red R65 in that photo for the past 31 years with the stock seat, so I am not too picky, but the low bmw seat just didn’t feel right. I’m a bit long legged with a 34” inseam and 5’11”. Kind of built like a gibbon. The added height of the RDL is welcome. Though I do appreciate what was described as “sitting on the bike”. I definitely feel more perched on the bike rather than in, but not completely. The bench seat on the r65 is “on” the bike. Loving it so far. I’ll have to report back after my road trip in August.
  2. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. The total stable currently: a Sportster 883 (was my son’s, now mine, though my other son is riding it), a 919 (my son’s bike), a SV650s with GSXR suspension and rebthal bar conversion (son’s friend’s bike), 1980 r65 getting reconditioned, 1979 r65 parts bike, drz 400, xl250r, xt225, and the s1000xr. It’s a collection that snuck up on me. I’ve rebuilt every bike in there except for the sv650 and s1000xr. Part of the reason for my purchase of the big XR was to have a bike that needs less attention. I also wanted to try a bike with some technology.

The next addition to the XR is going to be a WunderLinq.

This bike is my favorite so far after 31 years of riding on the road and 4 other big bore road bikes (to reduce the daily demands on the old r65).

Cheers,

CAW
  3. CAW

CAW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I almost tried the tall BMW seat or theHP seat, but wanted to give the RDL a go.
    Iron Rey and mikes'gs like this.
  4. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the BMW tall and it is not nearly as comfortable as the RDL. However, it does look good.
    CAW likes this.
  5. Dreadman

Dreadman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20210709_101655.jpg
    My first tour on the bike, 3-4 days touring in Lofoten. Hope you all are getting some miles this weekend ;)
    Dirt2007, Tor, Dryzanuns and 6 others like this.
  6. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!

And, yup! Did 1350 miles this weekend throughout the Sierra Nevada's and then back to the calmer temperatures of the coast.
  7. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    On my 16 I had the "HP Tall" seat, I had sent my stock seat ahead and then rode the bike 2000+ miles for the ride in build that I had scheduled, I was actually very happy with the high seat and if I had ridden with it more prior, I may never have gotten the RDL. Speaking of the '16 RDL seat, I kept it when I sold the bike and may be interested in selling it if any inmates are interested, and yes, it has the "wings".
    CAW likes this.
  8. aclearspot

aclearspot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 years in to my Gen2 and my ass is done after 5 hours. I loathe the stock seat, it hits the inside of my thighs in the wrong place. Is there a tall seat, anybody tried the new Sargent seat ?
    LostSouth likes this.
  9. WildBilll

WildBilll Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had the sarget seat since it came out in Jan2021. Love it, has memory foam and feels great. Have done 6,000 plus mile with it, and on some long multi day trips.. Only stop for fuel, seat is great.
    rick danger likes this.
  10. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Can you confirm if the OEM radiator guard is a two piece set to include the oil cooler guard as well?

need to get these on my new 21.

Edit: I’ll answer my own question. The OEM radiator guard is two pieces to include the oil cooler guard, as well. Just ordered it, about $66. Actually much cheaper than any of the aftermarket offerings.
  11. Solo Moto

Oddometer:
    Waiting at the dealer getting new tires installed on my GSA and ordered the overpriced side cases and top case for my new XR, along with a spare key fob.

Wanted the service manual/ CD and it was not even listed as an option. Dealer called Motorrad and was told BMW is no longer offering ANY service manuals / for any model.

WTF? Dealer is going to follow up and confirm the actual fuck. Makes no sense. I’d much prefer a hard copy manual over that CD version (have one for my GSA and it’s a PIA).

Anyone hear about this?

A guy at least needs torque specs for cryin out loud!
  12. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I don't think the guys in service could service a new bike without something. Most don't now how to unclip the plastic without breaking the tabs and pins.
    k6wee, BruceWA and ultrasheen like this.
  13. Solo Moto

Oddometer:
    The dealer service techs have their own internal manuals, different from the retail offerings. I sure hope this was bad info and service manuals are still available somewhere, somehow. Not a smart PR move to shun your customers like that…
  14. daslipper

daslipper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haynes
    BruceWA likes this.
  15. davidaid

davidaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Test rode a white 2016 today. Pretty sweet ride. Back to back with a 1200R. Let's just say outside of two wheels each, they are nothing alike. Lol
    CAW, Deano747 and sonnystile like this.
  16. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I like my s1000XR much more than any of my R bikes. Your right they are completely different rides.
    davidaid likes this.
  17. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BOTTOM DWELLER Supporter

Oddometer:
    unless your on a s1000r like me ..if you think the XR is responsive and they are i had a 16 XR try the single R!! same power but much less weight just not as comfy but not bad..(why i have an rt)
  18. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the WRS screen with the WRS navigator bracket? If you could I would like to see a pic how the Nav sists vs. the TFT, as i have the wunderlich sun screen on the TFT.

Edit: did you shorten the WRS screen? It looks shorter than the sport version
  19. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an R. Nice bike, but I enjoyed the XR more.
    Deano747, Iron Rey, mikes'gs and 2 others like this.
  20. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I had a 2015 XR. Loved the bike. Put 23k on her. Once out of warranty I kinda freaked out from worry and swapped her for a new GSA. The GSA wasn’t the first, and I’ll likely always have a GS in the stable. Fine machine, but the XR scratches an itch that a V/twin will not reach. Be it a KTM, Ducati or other.
    After a long wait, tomorrow I pick up a 2021 XR. I wanted the mSport and forged wheels sans the carbon fiber. Finally was able to find that spec. Can’t wait. I have missed the XR. This thread has great info that I visited often with the gen 1. Hopefully I’ll contribute something of value here soon. My 15 had a full Akro & PC5. Made great noises. Seems I’ll have to tinker some to get that on the 2nd gen.
    Podman, Tor, budsboy and 2 others like this.