BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you’ll get used to the carved out seat on the Gen 2
  2. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Haynes only available for MY 2015 - 2017 S1000XR.
  3. daslipper

daslipper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops my bad
  4. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I've spent some time on the seat. It's a regular suspension standard seat. While sitting on the XR in the showroom, I immediately didn't much care for the seat. Once I've had some
    seat time, I've come to like it.

On my 1st gen I had the taller seat. It did allow more movement for sure. Especially front to rear. What I've discovered on the 2nd gen is whenever I'm riding aggressively, I'm up on the tank and have zero issue hanging 1/2 my but cheek off if I want. This is fairly fast in the curves...Now if I try and scoot back some, it's not comfortable doing that. So far, I'm not certain I'll change out the seat.

Full disclosure here, I also have a GSA that will get the nod on longer distance rides. Part
    Of that reason is the overall comfort, including the seat of the GSA. They are both fine machines. Similar in ways and completely different! Good to have choices!
    Solo Moto and Tor like this.
  5. Dreadman

Dreadman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The MCN reporters like the S1000xr
    Screenshot_20210801-182444_Chrome.jpg
    Iron Rey, GlennR and Tor like this.
  6. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    So @jskene I need your assistance again with your product discussed about 10 pages ago. I tried hooking up my trailer and nothing lights up and I get a lampfail message. The trailer and wiring harness work fine independent of the bike using a 12vdc power supply. Here is my wiring diagram such as it is. My 12v switched power lead only reads about 5v output with the Skene device connected and normal 12v wired direct to the trailer which lights up the tail light. I also tried the GND from the battery instead of the tail light wire. I changed to LED bulbs in the trailer as well. You can reply in a PM. I couldn't post this diagram in a PM.

Skene Wiring.jpg

Skene 2.jpg
    spokester likes this.
  7. Old_Fat_and_Slow

Old_Fat_and_Slow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are you getting rid of slop in your shift lever? Noticed some sloppier shifts recently (missing gears, false neutrals, etc.) so changed the oil. Gave the bike a bath today and noticed the shift lever's got some excess play from side to side. Took a look and saw there's a 50 torx on the backside so tried to tighten that up (assuming that would fix it), but the bolt started to strip and I don't think that was going to solve it, anyhow.
  8. Olive_Juice

Olive_Juice Shaken not Stirred

Oddometer:
    RDL 4 LIFE! Anytime someone comments on the looks I just smile in my helmet because, yeah, my ass feels that happy!
    Iron Rey, Luckycharms and rick danger like this.
  9. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, curious if there's a carbon fiber outlet that makes any Do-dads fit the 2nd gen XR? The oem parts are terrific, but crazy expensive. I've searched some to no avail.
    I know if anyone knows I'll find out here!
  10. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

You could try to wrap them with a carbon look film. I've never tried wrapping anything but it seems like small parts are pretty easy and inexpensive from what I've seen on YouTube. All you need are a hairdryer, a squeegee, an Exacto knife. It's easy to remove later if you change your mind.
    trapperj likes this.
  11. antariusjp

antariusjp Large Title Here Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried them all and sometimes you get lucky with cheaper stuff but 99% of the time, it doesn't fit right.

Ilmberger or OEM are really your only choices.

https://ilmberger-carbon.de/CarbonE/Ilmberger_Carbon_BMW_S_1000_XR_ab_2020.aspx
  12. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BOTTOM DWELLER Supporter

Oddometer:
    GlennR likes this.
  14. Wonger20

Oddometer:
    Selling current track bike and getting something else to do street duty and a few track days/year. XR Can do really well on a track day, but I'd be better suited with two bikes rather than this all-in-one monster. I really enjoyed my '18 and like the improvements on the XR but I'm just swapping up the garage.
    trapperj and mikes'gs like this.
  15. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold my 2018 Kawasaki H2SXSE so I could buy a 2021 XR and then found out I need a new roof plus property taxes are due so there goes all of my disposable income :-( otherwise I'd be on my way to Atlanta.
    Wonger20 likes this.
  16. Wonger20

Oddometer:
    Crossing my fingers for hail!
  17. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 8 days ago a tornado touched down less than a 1/2 mile from my house, unfortunately my roof suffered no damage. :-)
  18. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    What was your takeaway comparison between the XR and the H2SX? in terms of handling in the bends, general rideability or any other insights between the two?
  19. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only had the opportunity to test ride a XR so I'm not in a position to provide a detailed comparison between the two bikes. The H2SXSE was a great bike, handled pretty well for its intended purpose, all kinds of power across the entire RPM range and the power is linear and always available. From my perspective the SXSE is a sport bike with factory panniers with a slightly more upright riding position than the BMW S1000RR. Kawasaki markets the SXSE as a sport tourer but from my experience its a better bike for day trips than a true sport tourer. When I went on multi day trips the Kawasaki stayed parked and I rode my 2020 GSA or K16GTL but lots of SXSE owners do tour and for more than one day just depends on how well or poorly the bike fits your body or your body fits the bike. My issue with my SXSE was comfort, joint pain in my wrists and neck made riding the SXSE uncomfortable so my goal in getting rid of it was to sacrifice performance for comfort which is why I wanted to buy a XR. I can ride my GSA all day long without experiencing neck/wrist joint pain and the XR riding position is just about the same as my GSA. Unfortunately life happened and the purchase of a XR is out of reach for a while :-(
  20. Old_Fat_and_Slow

Old_Fat_and_Slow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any recommendations for a tail tidy/fender eliminator? This bulbous rear fender is starting to really bother me.