1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd stopped for a couple of minutes at the end of the runway, and luck was on my side!
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Rich, or anyone else -
    At some point I'll be replacing my 88,000 mile 2010 GSA, and I'd like something as comfortable, but with a little more ground clearance. I can't complain about the handling of my GSA, and the ground clearance is OK, PROVIDED I'm using plenty of body english. If I don't, I can get the OEM bags, centerstand feet, and then footpegs to touch down (Wilbers WESA at rider w/ luggage & Sport damping). However, if my wife is riding as passenger, I find that I don't hang off as much, and I start hitting the centerstand feet first, even after adjusting the Wilbers WESA to 'with passenger'.

So- does the XR have better ground clearance ?

I know it won't be as roomy, and I definitely would need to lower the XR footpegs, and take measures to reduce the handlebar vibrations, but I'm wondering if the XR could be an alternative to a new GSA.
  3. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I had a 2010 GSA, loved it, what you want to know is does the XR have better cornering clearance, the short answer is yes, but the longer answer has more to do with peg layout and suspension, the GSA, even with Wilber's, the GSA suspension just can't touch the XR. I have not had mine out on the track, but I was passed by a sport bike on Colorado 141, I was doing about 70 and he passed me like I was standing still. Game on. We went on for about 5 miles of knee dragging through some amazing corners, never felt one of my lowered peg hit. I was in full tour kit, bags packed and he didn't stand a chance, I had a top speed on that run of 130, on a short chute of course, but that bike corners like a rocket sled on rails, definitely put the XR on your short list, a few inexpensive improvements, and you will forget your GSA.
    Florida Lime likes this.
  4. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Iron Rey ! I'm 6'2" also, and 60 years old, but my knees are about 70. :lol3

I'm afraid to demo anything until it's actually time to do anything. :D
    Both the new GSA and XR are on my short list.
  5. Discflight

Discflight n00b

Oddometer:
    I just saw a youtube ride/review and the fella said the dealer had told him the vibes were strongest in Dynamic Pro mode and least in Rain or Road. The fella then went on to trial changing modes and reckoned he could feel the immediate reduction in handlebar vibes as the mode changed off Dynamic Pro and was talking about engine mapping variations...
    I didn't know about that when I test rode so I didn't try it, has anyone heard of this from other dealers or noticed it themselves?

vid was by TwoWheelObsession but wasn't that good other than that piece of (theoretical) info
  6. gsbuster

gsbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front brake spongy on new XR

I picked up a new XR last week. The front brake lever was pretty spongy so I asked the Tech to bleed it.
    Went a few rides and still wasn't happy with it, so I dropped the bike back to the shop and the Tech purged the ABS unit and he said he found some air in it.
    I'm still not convinced that the front brake pressure is as firm and reliable as it should be....
    I thought I'd read somewhere that some of the XR front brake lever/master cylinder units have had to be replaced but haven't been able to find it again (maybe I dreamed it).
    Is anyone aware of any front brake master cylinder issues with these bikes??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    gsbuster - thanks for adding the pictures - I've seen pictures of the red color-matched bags before, but not the white ones. :-)

Any chance that you have a front shot showing those "engine bars" ? I'm curious how far they stick out - any room to tuck some LED lights in out of harm's way when mounted on them ?
  8. gsbuster

Oddometer:
    I had to get the bags painted white to match the bike as the only color options are red or silver/grey.
    As far as mounting LED's on the bars, it's tight but there is room on each side for SMALL auxiliary lights to be wedged in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Florida Lime likes this.
  9. SVTNate

SVTNate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous that you XR guys get paint matched bags.

RS bags come in a matte silver, which looks fine, but I'd prefer them to be Lupin Blue to match my bike (and I love the color).

I'm not planning to mod my bike other than buying the BMW nav unit at some point, but maybe I'll get a paint shop to spray the outer portions of the bags in Lupin Blue.
  10. Qsmkiv

Qsmkiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike looks great. I like the painted bags. Do you have any other pics of the bags on the bike? Like a complete side view or back view? If I was to get an XR I was wondering how the bags would look like in white. Thanks.
  11. gsbuster

Oddometer:
    Sadly we dont.
    In Australia the options are red color matched panniers or Matte Silver only.
    The white ones in the photo above were painted to match the bike by a third party painter.
    AFAIK, the only top box color option is Matte Silver, the one above was also painted.
    I'm pretty sure that the bags and top box are exactly the same as what you guys get with the RS.
  12. gsbuster

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GZPainter, dtysdalx2 and Oeths like this.
  13. Qsmkiv

Qsmkiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the other pics of the bags. Bike looks awesome!
  14. Iron Rey

Oddometer:
    New RDL seat!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Is it comfortable?
  16. Iron Rey

Oddometer:
    It has only been a few miles but it's great so far, going to take it thrashing through the twisties in SW Wisconsin Sunday, will report back then.
  17. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Handlebar vibration control:

Anyone use a Barsnake?
    www.barsnake.com

What about filling the handlebars up with lead shotgun shot?
    Discflight likes this.
  18. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    SimpleSimon and dtysdalx2 like this.
  19. guns_equal_freedom

Oddometer:
    I pulled the bag racks off and I ordered the regular passenger rear handle.
    Being short and having to hike the old man leg over that rear rack thing is almost as bad as it is to get the old man leg over the XCW 500 with the tool bag on the rear.

Dose anyone make a rear backrest for this bike?
    I would like one for the wife, one that bolts in where the regular handle grip goes.
    Kind of like the Rocker 3 Roadster passenger backrest.
    [​IMG]

I did order the trunk bag for the bike for the backrest.
  20. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    Wow! I seriously love that seat. I'll have to show it to my buddy, who compains the XR crushes his man-junk against the tank due to the seat angle.

However, since I have no balls, the seat angle is not a problem for me. :rofl:rofl:rofl
    Tor and Iron Rey like this.