BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    The Vibration? All of the reviewers in the article mentioned it.
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

All you needed to say. But thanks for the rest too.
  3. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cure for vibration is a set of heavier bar ends away.
    Iron Rey likes this.
  4. Discflight

Discflight n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had a good test ride and felt the vibration, surely they got a bad one...
  5. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    So many people that have done 50 miles on the bike (or not ridden one at all) talking about vibrations, yet us owners that have put thousands of miles on the XR don't have an issue with them.:deal
    guitarplyr likes this.
  6. Dagny_Taggart

Dagny_Taggart John Galt - 2020 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe the people bothered by the vibes didn't buy the bike, and the people not bothered by the vibes bought the bike.
  7. despistao

despistao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test rode it (4.000 km, that's a test), didn't get bothered by the vibes, at least not to the point of considering them a dealbreaker. Bur didn't buy the bike .... yet :D
  8. Podman

Podman Rocketman

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer Absolutely thee best line so far
    You just made my day:clap
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Who is going to be the first to put 18" rear and 21" front spoked wheels on this beast?
  10. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The people with body parts going numb from vibration is sorta funny to me. My current stable is a KTM 690 Duke with all the fixings...cam, air box, Akro , PCV. & a HP2 enduro. I reckon they both shake some, but I've done several 400 mile days on them both. I took two long demo rides on an XR. Sure I could feel a tingle at certain RPMs if I paid close attention. I thought I was on the space shuttle. Smooth smooth. And that speed shifter is the beans too. I pick my Red XR up next Tuesday. I know which bike I'll choose if I need to go somewhere in a hurry.
  11. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:

Ok, or you could just watch the videos in the test, part 2 at about 3'26 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUvm66vynyY#t=206
    where they say that the ones they test rode on launch date did not exhibit the same vibes. (same riders too) Which seem to clearly suggest that there is variability in how much the bikes exhibit this behaviour. You know, instead telling possible owners that they're just armchair critics.

Regardless, haven't test ridden it yet, but the bike holds my interest as a possible future purchase down the line. It's been called possibly the best handling street bike out there, bar none. It also won the comparo so I don't know what the fuss is about. The vibration thing is by the way easily solved with bar end weights, and you can be sure that for 2016-2017 the bike will come with heavier bar ends from the factory. That's an easy no brainer solution to this problem.
  12. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    Agree.

F1X840-3T.jpg

I can't imagine the "vibes" are any worse than on my camhead.
  13. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding the S1000XR and S1000RR Back-to-Back

My XR is nicely broken in now at just shy of 5000 miles. I could easily notice how the bikes performance has improved as the miles added up. There is no dispute that it has been insanely fast since the rev limiter was opened up at the first service but it just feels more purposeful to me at 5000 miles than it did at 1000 miles.

Today I met up with a riding buddy that recently got a 2015 S1000RR. His bike is just over the 1000 mile mark so, going along with my logic with BMW's I4 motors, it needs another couple 1000 miles to truly loosen up completely. Nevertheless, I rode the S1000RR and rung its neck to see how the two bikes compare (to me).

The XR pulls much stronger in the lower and mid range revs and gets to 100MPH quicker. The RR being lighter and shorter wheel base is equally fun getting to 100 because it does a fucking wheelie the whole time! The XR maxes out at around 150mph and there is the whole sketchyness as to whether or not the Shimmy will set in or the front end will get really light. The RR pulls stronger than I can described all the way up to 170mph where I shut her down because it was not my bike, I was not super comfortable and frankly I was scared! The RR's power is absolutely bottomless and its massive power surge from 9000 to 13000rpm is amazing. On the road I was riding on, the RR was stable as a rock at all speeds.

Notwithstanding the RR's mind boggling performance, I felt much happier being back on board my XR. There just are not any real world appropriate conditions for me to utilize the RR to its fullest. Ever since I sat on the XR for the first time in early July it felt like home.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  14. flienlow

flienlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW- I saw and rode the XR today. I was not blow away. The bike is much bigger that I thought it would be and was surprised to see it was basically an inline GS. The fact that you sit in the bike as apposed to being on it probably has a lot to do with the sportiness. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic machine, but not the hooligan I was hoping for. Perhaps a bike with more miles and being the in user mode would be more entertaining??
    rogerc likes this.
  15. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is what I want to know?
  16. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    It is anything but an inline GS, I have had 2, I don't know what kind of ride you had to come to that conclusion, but I don't see it, at all. I'm not saying you should like it, but other than some ergonomic likenesses, completely different bike.
  17. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:

I own an RR and have ridden XR's a couple times now and your comparison does a good job describing the differences. Today's full-on sportbikes are just so highly optimized to the race track and extremely high speeds. Not only do they have more power there, they have the ergos, weight distribution, and aero to be stable and planted at race track speeds. The bottom line is that an XR is a lot more real-world friendly, comfortable, and usable at anything approaching sane street speeds, but if you regularly visit the race track (of have the guts to ride the street like a race track), the RR is a decidedly more stable and planted bike.

- Mark
  18. flienlow

flienlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well for me I found it to be more like the GS that anything else I have rode. The chassis is very long, and the bike is tall with also the "sit in" style of riding. For sure I would like to give this bike another chance. I do think it is a very nice bike, but personally haven't made my mind up on Getting rid of my C-14 and adding 1 do all bike, or if I should buy another hooligan like the Tuono v4r and have 2 in the garage. Then there is also the new R1 that talks to me as well. Furthermore, where I rode the bike (in town) completely sucked for moto testing. My goal was not a long and comprehensive test either. I just took on a 2 mile loop just to throw a leg over it if you will.
  19. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was the bike broken in past 600 miles?
    If not then it was rev limited to 9K RPM's.
  20. srosa

srosa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The variability with the vibration problem could be due to a known issue with the XR's. Many owners, including myself, have found that the bar clamps were over torqued and installed incorrectly by BMW. Once the bar mounts are seated on the rear side and torqued to the correct setting, the vibes are significantly reduced.