BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 2 mile loop, and you've drawn that conclusion?:rofl

Go and ride one for a couple of hours, then give a proper review.:deal
  2. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is interesting. Could you link to a forum or thread about this ?
    roccordr likes this.
  3. flienlow

flienlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No it was not. Hence it was limited. I rode in Dynamic mode though. RichBMW makes a good point below. I should find a dealer with an unlocked one to test for a longer period.

Agreed. However, I once rode a street triple for about a block and half and new it right away it was not for me. Turned it right around and bought the Tuono with no regrets :)
  4. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Well, here's my 40 mile review of the S1000XR.

This morning was the Monster's turn for a ride. She's been much neglected for quite some time now, in need of a major brake flush and a new exhaust hanger. Still, she's done well on the track and I gave her a bit of TLC and now it was time for a brief spin. A nice 90 mile loop of Ortega Highway had me pondering new grips for the Monster and the closest shop is still the home to my friends, Irv Seaver BMW.

I dropped in, said hi to a couple people and walked over to shake Brian's hand. "What brings you in today?" He asks. Somewhat jokingly I say "How about a test ride on the XR?"

"Sure, it's a slow day, be back in a couple hours?"

Well that's settled then. Kevin gave me a walkthrough on the bikes gizmo's. ESA, Cruise, Ride Modes, Heated Grips, super power shifter, windscreen...The GPS wasn't installed but he showed me the grip controls for that too.

I'm no stranger to the S1k platform having put a few miles down on Miles S1kRR and R's. Phenomenal platforms they are. At least on paper I thought the XR would be somewhere halfway between the S1KR and my GS. I was...mostly right.

My first reaction was "And this is what the FJR always wanted to be".

In no particular order, here are my thoughts:

1. Roomy, GS tiller handlebars that give huge leverage.
    2. Huh, there's a steering damper down there and I get that's probably a good thing.
    3. The saddle is nigh on perfect. I would not change it. It's broad, firm and well sculpted. It does somewhat lock one into a certain position but it's really just about perfect.
    4. The footpegs are lower, knee angle is superb.
    5. The fairing is a perfect combination of wind protection and airflow. I wouldn't change it, but then again I'm 5'8"...
    6. It handles well but make no mistake it's no flyweight Air-cooled Ducati Monster... BMW Claim 502# wet. I'm calling BS on that - My bet is 540# wet.
    7. This may be the ultimate lazy man's sport-tourer. The motor makes huge torque and you can just leave the bike in 6th. Or you can play with the power shifter which works with both up and downshifts perfectly. Lower RPM shifts are a tad rubbery feeling as the bike settles on the drive train but shifting at 6k is stupidly perfect.
    8. Get on it, go cross country. Enter a Rally. Ride home. BMW's mile-munching pedigree is obvious.
    9. The power - a little Dr. Jekyll - Mr. Hyde. Under 7k it's docile and versatile. Over 7k and it Hyde takes over. The exhaust sounds great on the throttle but an Akra would still be an improvement.
    10. Looks - very subjective. Having said that, I like it. It's very distinctive and all the slash lines, micro beak and such come together to say "I'm a bike that does everything. Like a punker with a 180 IQ. Oh, and I party just as hard".
    11. Just because you asked: the motor is pure joy. A little buzzy through the handlebars but otherwise smooth and powerful. No complaints here.

Would I buy one?

If I was bikeless and someone dropped $20k in my lap - hell yes. It might just be the perfect bike for street riding. Super comfy, long range capable, luggage, safety gizmo's - yep, I could put a hundred thousand miles on one easy.

But what if you have an F800GS, a Ducati Monster and a WR250R in the garage? Well, now that gets more difficult. I could still see it but I just wouldn't see myself reaching for the keys to it all that often. I'd want it for longer range sport-touring but that's something I've proven I can do on the GS (*albeit a tad more slowly).

For me that's the problem: as much as I like the bike it just doesn't really fill any useful gap in my garage. Honestly, I'd be better off replacing the Monster with an S1000R and calling it a day.

So with some reluctance I handed the key's back to the fine folks at Seavers. I swung my leg over the Duc, hit the starter and laughed at the unruly beast as she snarled through an open pipe. Guys turned, children cheered and two women fainted.

Good times on a Saturday.

Fast forward 2 weeks: The S1000XR is still stuck in my head. It's not a super obsessive thought but it is still stuck in there. The bike is just plain amazingly competent almost to the point of being boring. That's the problem: it's so good that anything under 100mph is going to feel slow and to a great extent not really exciting. It will scratch, it will tour.

Is it a GS replacement? No. 5-6" of travel is not the same as 8-9" of travel. It's more akin to being a solo replacement for the K13GT than a GS. I don't think the S1000XR is really any more capable off road than my Triumph Speed Triple was.

[​IMG]

Still, if I wanted to buy a cross-country cruise missile I'd probably start and stop with the SX.
    Oeths likes this.
  5. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good point actually. I'm sure the K13 is all but discontinued? Wonder if they're still actually making that in a factory or selling left over stock for the last few years...
  6. srosa

srosa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. WFO GS

WFO GS Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
  9. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you READ it?
  11. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    I did. WOW. :happay

There is a current thread under Orange Crush, for those interested in speculating.
  12. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course I didn't! I looked at the pictures though!:D

Edit - I've read it now. The XR still has nothing to worry about.:deal
  13. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now Available -- Corbin Canyon Dual Sport Saddle

http://corbin.com/bmw/bmws10xrcdse.shtml

[​IMG]Corbinxr by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

I ordered mine this afternoon. It is an absolute must for any of my bikes that I plan on using for long distance. I expect it will follow the typical Corbin Processing Schedule and I will see it on my door step in Florida in approx. 1 month. And, as always, I will photograph it on the bike and share it here for others to see in case they may be interested in going with the Corbin.
  14. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    so.. as compared to a GSA - hows the seat height?
  15. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Pretty close to the same, peg locations give you a different feel though.
  16. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    You can order anyway that suits your tastes. The photo above is how I ordered mine with no piping. Stealth/Black Threads. Carbon Fiber Leather Seating. Asphalt sides and White Corbin Logo to match my bike color. They have a great tool you can try different materials for each of the category's and get an idea what it will look like. Once you are at the main screen for the XR seat click on Order and you will see a button for "DESIGN"!!

Try it out!
  17. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    They have a picture on their website where you can slide the bar to compare stock to Corbin. Looks like it adds at least an inch (good for my knees :D), plus it looks like it allows more aft movement.
    I'll be waiting to hear your opinion - or I might have to take a 2 hour ride to the Cape ! :-)
  18. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    We can meet 1/2 way and you can give her a test ride!!!!

One thing that is important to point out to everyone (not entirely familiar with Corbin's) is that when comparing the measured height of the Corbin -vs- the Stock seat you also need to factor in the fact that Corbin's do not compress the way a softer seat does. So, unloaded, there may only be one inch difference in seats but sitting with full weight on the softer seat in reality could be 2 inches lower than the Corbin. So, if you are slightly tippy toed on the XR with the Stock seat and you are to get a Corbin that has not been "lowered" during its build, you may have difficultly reaching the ground firmly. And on the other end of the taller seat equation is yes you get better leg room to the pegs but your body is higher and the handlebar reach changes and your head may be fully in the slip stream with the wind screen at the lower position.

I remember my reaction to my first Corbin on my Versys; for the entire first week I felt a little awkward being up so high! Once you have adjusted to it, it is awesome!
  19. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    a
    Yes, Corbin seats are quite firm compared to most aftermarket seats. People either swear by them, or at them. :lol3
    I have seen many Corbin seats, but I have never owned one myself.

I'll be away in NC for the next week - but once I get back, I'll be waiting for you to get it. Sebastian River Preserve State Park is 1/2 way. :-)
  20. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fitted my new exhaust hanger today, and finally got rid of the pillion pegs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just need the tail tidy, then I'm done with the mods.
    GZPainter and dtysdalx2 like this.