BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    They will!:D
  2. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bike really interests me it ticks most of the boxes sportbike power/handling with adventure bike comfort/ergos, to all who own this bike and have some miles on it, is the vibration in the bars as bad as some say it is or is the fix as simple as proper torque on the mounts and different bar end weights. I like most everything about the bike and it is on my short list of bikes but I don't want to commit to one if it vibrates as bad as some tests indicate.
  3. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try to answer this one, only after testing this bike for the first time yesterday : the vibes were there but only at specific rpm, not all the time.
    Plus, keep in mind as you know already that this is a sportsbike with a confortable position, so vibes are not a real concern IMHO. You're so busy enjoying this bike with the exceptional handling and motor, I didn't pay too much attention to the vibes.
    That's why I'll probably trade my 2013 Triumph Tiger Sport for the XR after this test... ;-)
  4. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    2k on mine, and the vibes are non existent. Don't believe everything you read on forums.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I just read that vibes are non-existent on one forum - should I not believe it ? :lol2
    Ultra54 and bmac like this.
  6. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    For most of us owners the vibrations are a non-issue. It does seem to get better over time and heavier bar ends substantially reduce them. The vibes do exist but the XR is still the best bike I have ever ridden by quite a wide margin. Don't let this one concern prevent you from buying the best comfortable sports bike available.
    Iron Rey likes this.
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like extended test ride time. Thats my next step.
  8. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies about the vibration, after I sell a couple of bikes, this is probably my next bike, my reference for this bike is the 2 day school where I rode the S1000RR, I was impressed by the way the electronics worked and although this bike doesn't make the power of the RR, I sure it's plenty for the street and my intended use for riding the back roads of WV. The KTM and Ducati are the only other bikes that really compare, other bikes I go back and forth on are the FJ 09 and Versys 1000.
  9. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XR has more torque than the RR, and in the real world an RR won't leave an XR behind. Over around 130mph, the RR will start to pull away.
  10. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I had my HP4 out the other day, getting it ready for the winter lay-up (it now resides in my living room) I was riding it like my XR on a nice bit of deserted road when I realized at 125 mph my front wheel was airborne (I was in "super hooligan" mode) I giggled like a school girl at a Sadie Hawkins dance, yea, my XR has more torque, but god that HP is fun!
  11. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to have a go on one, but there's no way my back could handle it!
  12. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Test ride the new Suzuki GSX f 1000.....some say its 90% of the bike the xr is at 50 % the cost......in my case i can trade in my 13 gsw and cough up ten grand for an xr .....or keep the gs and cough up ten grand for gsx f and have 2 bikes.....they are both i4s and they are gonna vibrate period so mabey keeping the gs for the long hauls is the way to go.....
  13. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Versys is a nice bike and worth a test ride. I was impressed after a short ride and would like some more seat time on one. The FJ-09 is a decent budget bike but it has several things that bothered me during the 2400 miles that I owned one. The riding position is a bit odd. They brought the bars up but did not move the footpegs forward. I could never get comfortable on the bike and I was squirming after 45 minutes. The suspension is average at best and a little harsh at times. The chassis was not as solid as I would like and did not provide the confident feedback that I am used to on the XR. The engine on the FJ is excellent but it vibrates as much if not more than the XR.

Last fall I put a deposit on the 2 bikes that interested me the most, the S1000XR and the FJ-09. I picked picked up the FJ in February and sold it 2 months later. It is a decent bike but did not work for me so I cut my losses and sold it. I picked up the XR in June and I have about 3600 miles on it. It is levels of magnitude better than the FJ. The XR will have a spot reserved in my garage for a very long time.
  14. gsbuster

gsbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ....and an update on my earlier post.

The brakes on my XR are still officially CRAP!!

They swapped out the master cylinder and bled it all up again, but the front brake lever is still really spongy and brake performance is very underwhelming.

So I took the shop demo XR out for a ride today and i found the brakes to be absolutely amazing. Now I know why everyone is raving about the brakes on these bikes.

I'm still waiting to get my brakes sorted.... The tech now leaning towards a suspect ABS unit.

Any clues anyone?????
  15. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    But the Suzuki GSX f 1000 is nothing like the XR. It's just a naked bike with a fairing, not an upright bike like the XR.
  16. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    from what I have read the GSX f 1000 leans more towards an upright position than a regular naked . I have not sat on one yet but will definitely sit on both of these bikes during the winter months.
  17. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Suzuki is a nice bike but the tail section is small for limited luggage options, I have seen the unfaired one and it is a decent bike at its price point, I have a Tiger 800 right now and I like it, if I keep it I need to upgrade the suspension for how I ride it, I have a Street Triple R (09) that is nicely set up, I would sell those bikes to help pay for the XR, I'll still have my track/street bike 05 GSXR 750 and Daytona 675 for when I want a sportier ride, but the XR is really a fast sport tourer with adventure styling, I like the seat triangle of the XR or an adventure bike. I know the other bikes can be had for less, but the XR has a clear performance advantage and I like that, even if you don't use it all the time, it is nice to have, and there are plenty of fun roads around me, but tell everyone the Tail of the Dragon is where you need to be.
  18. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    That means if we all switch over to that forum, the problem will disappear. :rofl:rofl:rofl
    Iron Rey likes this.
  19. Ultra54

Ultra54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No "forum" anywhere states that there are no vibes. If some "people" post that their bikes don't vibrate that doesn't mean the whole forums stance on the subject is that. I feel the vibration on my bike is of no significance what so ever. It is a non issue with me on my bike. I am not particularly tolerant of vibration and would hate to have an annoying vibration anywhere which leads me to say my bike doesn't have the excessive vibration issue. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe different people have different perceptions what excessive vibration is. What I have learned is not to believe anything I read online or in magazines . Go test ride one and judge for yourself.
    scfrank and bmac like this.
  20. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know this bike specifically but on some, bubbles can get stuck in the abs unit and can't be flushed in the traditional way. Check your manual - it might require removal of the calipers and spreading of the pistons. This clears the abs unit. ymmv

Also -a trick that works nicely : zip tie the lever overnight (not too tight) and it should firm up the next day.
    gsbuster likes this.