BMW S1000XR sports tourer.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Feb 14, 2014.

1. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    This bike really intrigues me. I currently have a Multistrada and the bike is amazing. I have 23000 miles on it without any problems. No vibration problems, no heat on leg problems, ride it all day and not hurt afterwards. The only two complants are not a lot of wind protection and no cruise control. It's by far the best bike I have ever owned but the XR is calling out to me! Test ride me!
  2. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    If the rain lets up, I'll be taking a 2013 GS and a S1000XR for a test ride this Tuesday. Hoping not to like it so I can stop thinking about it! :rofl

I was making a joke. :ear
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Where is that "Flew right over his head" smilie ? :lol3
  4. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed a Stebel Nautilus horn (or the like) on an XR yet?
  5. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    i had a mult as well, always want A Duke and love the one i had, if I could have installed Cruise control in the Mult and little stuff like, soft rear break , high beam switch and that sutped key flob, i would still have it.

that being said i now own a XR and it is same bike IN MY OPINION. same power, same handling. about same wind protection. better warranty better factory support for product ( again IMHO ) I do think that the MULT was a better looking bike.
    it is worth a test drive. almost all my other bikes are races or dirt/ endro bikes so the vibe issue that everyone bitches about is not really noticed by me.

also every jealous of you location. eastern Tenn has some of best riding, my Pals and i rent a house of the Cherohala evry year
  6. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight and comparison. I think I will wait a couple of years and buy a used XR with low miles. The BMW's hold there value better then Ducati. Ducati's depreciat like a boat!
    The Smoky mountains is my back yard, PM me the next time your planning a trip here and me and a couple of my friends will try to meet up.
    Oh I'm going to still test ride the XR!
  7. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    S1000RR -
    30+ more HP is 30+ more HP.
    65 lbs less weight is 65 lbs less weight.
    Aerodynamic bodywork is aerodynamic bodywork.

9.80 sec. @ 148.89 mph vs 10.23 sec. @ 135.48 mph

The one option I would have bought had it been available is the full tilt boogie S1000RR engine in my S1000XR.
  8. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    No one is saying the RR isn't faster, but you need to get to jail speeds on the road before the difference becomes noticeable!
  9. Fredicchino

Fredicchino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After testing the XR 2 weeks ago, I'll go sign the order for a brand new red one on Saturday !! :clap :D
    Will trade in my 2013 Triumph Tiger Sport, a very good bike with now more than 20K miles on it, but which pales in comparison to the XR if we consider that they are on the same segment and concept.
    The 1050 triumph engine is one of the best motor out there, but the whole bike feels outdated in comparison to the XR (engine, handling, braking, electronics, etc.)
  10. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    You won't be disappointed Mate, welcome to the fraternity!
  11. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wait until the 9K rev limiter has been removed and the Dynamic Pro plug has been installed.
    ABS off, DTS off, roll the throttle on to about 4k, then whack the throttle open and hang on. :D
  12. num1husker

num1husker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The red panels for the top box has arrived and mounted
  13. RichBMW

RichBMW Long timer

Oddometer:
    So where the heck are the pictures?:D
  14. num1husker

num1husker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here is the picture of the red top case cover
    PullingG's likes this.
  15. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Corbin Seat Arrival 11-11-15

The Corbn arrived today. I rushed home afterwork, quickly unpacked it, inspected it and installed it. Took really quick pictures in not the best light because had an AC repair man on the way over so I was in a rush. By the time he finished it was dark. So I only went for a 12 mile ride.

First impressions (note: this is Corbin #9 for me).

Rides much higher than my Stock Sport High Seat.

Extremely Firm which is exactly what I wanted. My experience is it will take over 1000 miles to get it initially broken in.

There now is a vastly improved feeling of being connected to the bike. Before it felt like I was sitting on a sponge. Now it feels like I am sitting on a leather seat for higher end sports car. Very nice feedback and at the same time it seems to smooth out some of those vibs some people have complained about.

Only 12 miles in so I will need more seat time to give a more detailed report on comfort, etc...

[​IMG]IMG_6947 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6957 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6955 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6958 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_6951 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
  16. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one on order and requested a 1/2 higher than their standard XR seat so I am real curious how it compares to the stock high sport seat. Any chance you can quantify the actual height difference between the two? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  17. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Look, it's obvious you've got a lot on your plate right now - I'll head north and help you out ASAP ! :wink:
  18. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    Sunday weather in Florida. Low 71/High 77. Humidity--low. Sounds like a perfect day to meet up so you can evaluate if the Corbin is for you and if you would like to transform your bike into the perfect comfort machine!!! PM me if you are free.
  19. mjfields_228

Oddometer:

I have a ~32 inch inseam and I cannot quite flat foot with the Corbin. I have not tried sliding all of the way forward.

I can do some general measurements of the different seat heights. I have a stock seat, a stock high performance seat and the Corbin. I will put up some numbers tonight after I get home.
  20. mjfields_228

Oddometer:

Measuring the seat is hard to do alone. Getting the bike perfectly level while on the tires and then taking the measurement without knocking the bike over is the challenge. The Corbin is more scooped shaped than the Stock or the HP Sport High seat so I did my best to pick a relative spot that would provide a general measurement. Keep in mind the the Corbin is wider and firmer so it will keep more height while seated and deflect your legs for going straight down. So measuring from the same spot can be misleading. First thing you will notice is how much higher you will looking over the wind screen.

Generally:

The Stock seat is ~33 Inches
    The HP Sport is ~33.75 Inches
    The Corbin is ~34 Inches and maybe a little more.

I had to run several errands today and take a long trip after work so I got some great real world quality time on the new seat.
    For starters the 15 mile ride into work today was heavenly. Made me want to keep on rolling until I got to the Blue Ridge Mountains!
    While riding in Urban traffic and having to put my feet down a lot I notice the seating area on the Corbin puts me directly over the rear sets so when I put my feet down the backs or fronts of my lower legs hit the pegs. Tried adjusting myself some but I have not got a technique down yet to deal with it. I still have not had to make any hard stops so I do not know how easily I will slide into the tank or not. I did 30 miles on Interstate and the seat is fucking perfect for slab. For me the seat was a no brainer from the start. Now with my HVMP Bar Weights and the new Corbin the bike just got significantly better!!!!