BMW Safety Recall for Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TheNorthernMonkey, Jan 7, 2014.

1. TheNorthernMonkey

TheNorthernMonkey Clueless n00b

Oddometer:
  2. MrBMW

MrBMW Moto

Oddometer:
    About time, they going all the way back to 2005 on this issue.

RECALL Subject : Fuel Pump Flange may Leak , 1 INVESTIGATION(S)
    Report Receipt Date: DEC 12, 2013
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V617000
    Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 50,184
    Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
    BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2005-2011 model year R-model motorcycles, model year 2005-2012 K-model motorcycles, model year 2010-2011 S 1000 model motorcycles, and model year 2006-2010 HP2 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel.

CONSEQUENCE:
    A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

REMEDY:
    BMW will notify owners, and dealers will either reinforce the fuel pump flange or replace the pump, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in February 2014. Owners may contact BMW customer relations at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

NOTES:
    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
  3. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Just to add to the post:

All vehicles associated with this recall:

Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)

• BMWHP2 ENDURO 2006
    • BMWHP2 MEGAMOTO 2008-2009
    • BMWHP2 SPORT 2008-2010
    • BMWK 1200 GT 2006-2008
    • BMWK 1200 R 2006-2008
    • BMWK 1200 R SPORT 2007
    • BMWK 1200 S 2005-2008
    • BMWK 1300 GT 2009-2011
    • BMWK 1300 S 2009-2011
    • BMWK 1600 GT 2012
    • BMWK 1600 GTL 2012
    • BMWR 1200 GS 2005-2011
    • BMWR 1200 GS ADVENTURE 2006-2011
    • BMWR 1200 R 2007-2011
    • BMWR 1200 RT 2005-2011
    • BMWR 1200 S 2007
    • BMWR 1200 ST 2005-2007
    • BMWS 1000 RR 2010-2011
    So it appears that it is not a VIN # specific recall.
  4. Beecher Snipes

Beecher Snipes Fool

Oddometer:
  5. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Geeez, how many posts discussing the fixing of this defect over the last what 3 years?

Nothing to worry about, certainly nothing to cause BMW to rectify the problem...move along folks nothing to see.....Hey only 50,184 bikes.... Have you seen our new models?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM447639/RCDNN-13V617-4608P.pdf
  6. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    There's even been an aftermarket fix for this available for a while (beemerboneyard). What's BMW's "fix" for this - JB Weld? And will the new ones be better, or just leftover stock?

And they still blame technicians and our yankee gasoline - funny nobody else seems to have this problem. Only BMW.
    :ddog

Now if we can get them to fix the fuel strips and final drives. Even if they don't admit blame….
  7. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    I'll bet a great number of people have either already replaced or installed the BB repair kit on their flange, wonder if BMW is required to make repentance to them.
    The other problem are the shit plastic fuel QD's, IMHO an equal or greater cause for concern than the flange.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    They wont!:deal

Jim :brow

PS We need more threads on this!
  9. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look on the bright side, at least there actually, finally is a recall. Its better than the NHTSA did for owners of bikes with plastic tanks (Ducati, Aprilia, etc) that deformed from ethanol, even though the symptom (leaks) is essentially the same.
  10. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

That's satire right there, I'm telling you, I can spot the stuff a mile away and that's it.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    :lol3

12. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I loathe taking my bike to a BMW dealer because of the poor overall quality of work; they usually screw up more than they fix....so, in that context...using the BB couplers, which I have but have not put in yet, seems like a preferred correction rather than letting BMW tear into my bike..

What is your take on how BMW will "cure" this weakness? What are your thoughts?

As you know for me BMW's credibility is less than zero; or in more succinct terms it is 'shot in the ass'....

Thanks,

Phil
  13. pooky

pooky n00b

Oddometer:
    Damn!
    I just replaced mines at this summer costing me over CAD$800.
    I wonder if I can take my old one leaking one back for refund. :huh
  14. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe yes, most probably no but what the heck? I would give it a try. Bug your dealer, what can be lost?
    Also a letter to BMW Canada would not hurt either, be sure to attach a copy of the invoice to it.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Phil,

I expect the initial fix will be a press on ring and check to see if it will leak, similar to the clamp from BBY, but not adjustable. (Might be exactly like the BBY?) This might work on bikes not yet leaking. If the ring doesn't fix it I would expect they will replace the pump housing with an upgraded one. (Expect a long wait and shortage of pump housings.)

IF the see that work not done by BMW, and documented, has been done, such as a metal female QD and/or BBY ring, I expect you can forget any recall fix for free unless you have a good relationship with your dealer.

PS I just read the text of the recall, and I am correct on the process. We shall see how liberal they are on the repairs.
  16. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Wait for the bike to burn up and have BMW replace it?:D
  17. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we go to the same dealers :D
  18. Pir8te

Pir8te over forty victim of fate

Oddometer:
    Fact Check http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety...ty+Defects+and+Recalls+Campaigns?renderPage=4

How are problems with recalled vehicles or equipment remedied?

Once a safety-defect determination is made, the law gives the manufacturer three options for correcting the defect – repair, replacement, or refund. In the case of a vehicle recall, the manufacturer may choose to repair the vehicle at no charge; replace the vehicle with an identical or similar vehicle; or refund the purchase price in full, minus a reasonable allowance for depreciation. In the case of equipment, including tires and child safety seats, the manufacturer may either repair or replace the affected equipment at no charge to the consumer.

If I pay for needed repairs before a recall is ordered, am I entitled to reimbursement?

Yes, under certain conditions. Manufacturers are required to provide reimbursement for certain costs incurred by owners to remedy safety defect conditions prior to a recall. Vehicle manufacturers are required to reimburse owners for costs incurred to remedy a defect based on either (1) the date NHTSA opens its Engineering Analysis, or (2) one year prior to the manufacturer’s notification of a defect to NHTSA, whichever is earlier. The closing date of eligibility for reimbursement of repair of a motor vehicle is 10 days after the manufacturer mails the last of the owner notices informing owners of a safety defect recall and cost-free remedy. For replacement of equipment, the closing date is either the same as for motor vehicles or 30 days after the manufacturer’s closing of its efforts to provide public notice of the existence of a defect, whichever is later. Documentation of the costs is required for reimbursement. While the current reimbursement policy is a relatively new requirement, manufacturers have in the past often voluntarily agreed to absorb such costs, provided customers could prove the pre-recall repairs remedied the defect in question.

19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    There are holes in that payback clause you could drive a truck though. No mention of unofficial repairs reimbursement. IF you replaced the entire pump housing during that one year period you "might" have a chance, and then if done by the dealer. 90% of us who did any work on it are SOL.

20. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    I had the replacement done on my Megamoto. The cracked fuel pump flange was made by a different supplier and was only plastic (housing / threads as one integral part). The replacement if I remember was supplied by Continental and had metal threaded inserts for the fuel lines. No issues with the housing so far.

However, the pump itself has shit the bed despite properly being stored. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but can't a manufacturer design and manufacture proper components when selling in a region where fuel mixtures are known to contain ethanol?