BMW Twin Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JakeCWU, Dec 2, 2008.

1. JakeCWU

JakeCWU The Notorious H.O.G.

Oddometer:
    So I looked as far as my ADD would allow me to (2 pages) and didn't find a general accessories post for the new twins. So, here it is. Post your pics, stories, timelines, tools required, reviews, whatever on those new accessories so the rest of us can figure out what we want.

Project 1- TT Windscreen and antiglare shield

Tools Required:
    T25 Torx driver
    No. 1 Phillips Driver

Time: 8 minutes

Notes: The near side L bracket had to be loosened and rotated about 1/8" forward to meet the windscreen without placing undue stress on plastic or plexi.

Pics:

Before-
    [​IMG]

The offending L bracket-
    [​IMG]

The antiglare shield-
    [​IMG]

Both-
    [​IMG]

Project 2- TT Handguards

Tools Required:
    T55 Torx Driver
    Set of Allen wrenches
    10 mm socket

Time: 25 minutes

Notes: TT makes a great product and TERRIBLE directions

Pics:

Before-
    [​IMG]

After-
    [​IMG]

Project 3- Sweet new ADV "see me" Touraeg helmet sticker

Tools:
    Wife's hair dryer

Time: 6 minutes

Notes: Best to not attempt when wife is preparing for work :stupid

Post completion pics:

Without flash-
    [​IMG]

With flash-
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. Can't wait to see what comes next. For me- Caribou cases.

G-
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I attached my new Caribous (36L) last week. Used the SW Motech EVO mounts instead of the Caribou rack because I wanted to be able to remove the racks when I didn't use the cases. I also bolted a smaller top box from the same manufacturer (Hardigg) to the Touratech aluminum cargo plate. It unbolts in about a minute for when I want to strap on a duffel or tent/sleeping bag.

[​IMG]

Installation was a snap. More pix here.

David
  3. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Sweet this is what I want to do (take the rack mounts off so I'm not running cases all the time) but Caribou told me it would not be practical to take their racks off very often and it would take 30 minutes at least. Can you clarify the mounting points for the SW Motech EVO mounts? Are the cases still easy to mount and remove? I would love to here more of your thoughts about having this combination - EVO mounts and Caribou cases.:lurk
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I'll try to get some close-up pix for you. Gotta wake up first, though.

David
  5. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Me, too. This is looking like the way I want to go. I'm going to get the SW Motech top rack and EVO side racks and run with my soft bags for awhile, but those Pel (or Hardigg) cases are an intriguing combination of hard and soft luggage with a great reputation for durability. I'll probably throw on a mid-sized Givi case for daily use and replace with a duffel for trips.

What made you chose the 36L Hardiggs over the 35L Pelicans?
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    A few things: They're a pound and a half lighter (each) than the Pelicans. They hold slightly more, but aren't any wider. Their latching mechanism is easier on the fingers, but still bomb proof. And cosmetically, they're smoother and have fewer nooks and crannies, so cleaning the inevitable bug collection off of them should be easier. Durability and warranty wise, it seems to be a wash.

BTW, I plan on using soft bags on the SW Motech racks as well when I set off to go places that are way over my head. :lol3

David
  7. Bucko

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the best of all worlds. The lighter weight makes the Hardiggs very attractive. :D
  8. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    WoodWorks, did you powder coat your engine guard, I can't tell... and how do you like the wind deflector on your bark busters? Have you ridden without them? I gotta find something to differentiate my bike or we'll definitely have twins of the GS 800 Twin. :rofl
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I had the BMW bash plate powder coated, but the Givi engine guards are stock. The hand guards are Touratech, and I didn't try them without the higher deflectors. Cold and rain are bigger issues here in Oregon than the heat.

If you crash yours first, then people will be able to tell us apart. :wink:

David
  10. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    David,

Questions, questions, questions....

I was reading that with the SW-Motech mounts you have to move the turn signals??? True / False

From the twisted throttle site:
    NOTE: This product will require relocation of the rear turn signals during installation. All necessary brackets, along with additional wiring, are included in the kit.

Tom
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    False. It's some sort of German regulation that requires them to make that claim, but it's not applicable to us lawless bastiges. The bags do obscure the signals from the side (not from the rear), but they don't need to be moved to accommodate the Caribous.

We're all invisible in any case, so who sees our turn signals? :bluduh

David
  12. O-Man

O-Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you like the TT W/S on the F650GS?
  13. Bucko

Oddometer:
    Aye it is, laddy. Just click here http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=Catalog&mode=d&id=019 or go to the main page and scroll to the last option in the menu on the left. The cases come set up for the SW Motech racks.

And Twisted Throttle will be happy to sell you SW Motech racks without bags.
  14. JakeCWU

Oddometer:

Thanks, you beat me on my nuke'em feature after I took the initiative (I'm not even sure what that means, but it's what my wife called it) to look at the websites. Christmas list updated!

G-
  15. JakeCWU

Oddometer:
    I've become deathly ill since I mounted it and haven't had a chance to try it yet :baldy . I'll advise after I use it, should be tomorrow.

G-
  16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can buy just the cases from Caribou (and just the racks from SW-Motech) You want to order the Cases for SW-Motech Racks. They come with the locks and lanyards pre-installed, and you have to attach the mounting hardware for the racks. It took me about a half hour to fit the hardware. The racks take a little longer. You have to remove the original grip rail and replace it with the one from SW-Motech.

This picture shows the rack mounted onto the bike using the four quarter-turn fasteners.

[​IMG]

And this shows what the bike looks like with the SW-Motech rack removed.

[​IMG]

Here's the rack.

[​IMG]

This is the hardware you have to attach to the case. The holes are pre-drilled, and there's a triangular, solid aluminum stiffener plate on the inside of the case.

[​IMG]

A closeup of the lock. I believe the red part is supposed to break away in case of a crash. But I don't know that the SW-Motech racks won't break away first. :D

[​IMG]

I wanted a smaller top box and rack than Caribou offered, so I bought a Hardigg iM2200, and Roger at Caribou was kind enough to supply me with a matching lock, so one key locks all the cases and attaches the side bags to the racks.

I used some pan-head hex bolts, some fender washers, four rubber washers, and some nylock nuts to bolt it onto the Touratech rack. With a hex key and a 13mm wrench, it pops on and off in less than a minute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope these pix help. I'm sure the Caribou racks are sturdier. But I wanted to be able to remove the racks when not needed. And the smaller top box will keep me from overloading the rear. Roger at Caribou did a great job of helping me get the whole thing sorted out to my liking. I'm very pleased with the results.

David
  17. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Sweet, got a link to that sticker or who's selling them?

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
  19. Bucko

Oddometer:
    Great pix, WW. Thanks for taking all the mystery out of it. Looks like da kine setup. :D
  20. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    +1