BMW Twin Accessories

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JakeCWU, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Roonie

Roonie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with the TT directions... they are photocopied and really hard to read. The pictures are worthless. They need better directions!

I have installed this list and will add that all TT stuff is allen wrench friendly. I had to buy a star screwdriver set for the BMW.

TT pee cup protector........Fairly easy but have to hold brake, pee cup, and mirror while trying to get the protector screwed in place.

TT radiator protector........ harder as I had to take off the whole front beak assembly and side fairings to get to radiator. The beak comes off with a handful of screws so it is easy to do. The whole front slides off.

TT kickstand platform.... easy and it is for making a bigger footprint for kickstand in soft dirt so bike doesn't topple over.

TT back aluminum rack...... easy and I used the tool under the seat to deal with the star screws.

TT brake lever extender...... really easy once I figured out what direction to point the undercarriage piece that ties it all together.

Have yet to install but going to this weekend.....

TT LED blinkers..... harder as I have to re-splice some wires as they don't come with appropriate connectors for the 800. Also they fail to mention in the directions that you need to use the supplied resistor for each wire or the blinkers will not work. They told me this over the phone when I called Touratech and talked to them about this issue.

TT handlebar risers...... again harder as the whole front beack unit needs to come off again to access the top of the triple clamp. I kicked myself for not doing this when I had it all off for the radiator guard.
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    +1 And for what it's worth, the SW-Motech instructions aren't any better. You really don't want to do any of this stuff when you're in a hurry, or right before you take off on a trip. Because chances are you'll be taking at least one trip to the hardware store to get a missing nut or a tool you don't yet own. :becca

David
  3. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey David ....

Looks like you did your homework (research) ...

:clap Great set-up that gives you many options ... :clap

4. JakeCWU

JakeCWU The Notorious H.O.G.

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info and the pics, very helpful. When looking at the caribou site, it lists a set of cases for the EVO racks and an "ALS DIY Kit" for the EVO racks. Do I have to buy both of these or does the luggage come with that mounting kit? i.e., is the DIY kit for somebody using their own cases or is it an "extra" that's not extra at all?

Also, how's the construction and security on the EVO racks vs. the caribou? Any rattling or noise? Easy to steal the whole kit and kaboodle with the quarter turns?

Thanks!

G-
  5. JakeCWU

Oddometer:
    +2!! Prompt and friendly. I think it took 4-6 days to receive them, and that was over thanksgiving. Although he is in Toronto, so it may take a bit depending on where you are.

G-
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    The luggage comes with the mounting kit. AFAIK the ALS DIY kit is, as you said, for people who already have their own bags. But Roger at Caribou is easy to reach via phone, and gives good customer service. Give him a call before you order. He had no problem with my particular quirks.

I haven't seen the Caribou racks in meatspace, but based on their reputation, I bet they're considerably more rugged than the EVOs. My guess is that they'll survive a fall that will mess the EVOs up pretty good. Life is full of trade-offs. But once the four fasteners are locked, the mounts are rock-solid. And the bags are firmly secured by the ALS hardware. No rattles or squeaks.

As for security, you can get locks that replace one of the 1/4 turn fasteners on each side. But that's just one more key to lose, and I don't plan on ever leaving the bags on the bike when I'm stopped overnight. So I'm just gonna tempt the gods a bit. :augie

David
  7. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    So I think I'm sold on the EVO rack, based on what you guys are saying. I dig the easy "conversion" to a svelte motorcycle when I'm commuting during the week, then load 'er up for the weekend. I'm kind of partial to the top-loading aluminum cases, though. Now, I look at Hepco-Becker's basic aluminum cans and they say they'll fit on the EVO rack, but recommend mismatched sizes (38/45 liter I think) to even out the bikes rear profile. This gives rise to a couple questions:

1. Is the EVO rack uneven from side to side due to the muffler, like other racks? That one with the Caribous looks GREAT and they're the same size on each side.

2. I like low profile luggage. Can I just put two 38L Hepco-becker cans on the EVO rack without obvious balance/asthetic issues?
  8. JakeCWU

Oddometer:
    Guten Question!!

G-
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Jawohl. The muffler side is wider. You can see it here.

[​IMG]

The slope of the driveway/bad camera angle makes the bags look more crooked than they really are (though they aren't perfectly parallel). But the left pannier sticks out more than the right. No heat problem with the muffler that way.

David
  10. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    any Wilburs specially for the 650 or 800gs yet?
  11. Fireman

Fireman Shazaam!

Oddometer:
    Ahh thank you woodworks. I can see it now. I guess the fact that I didn't notice kind of answers my question, eh? So I have now officially claimed every freakin' pannier setup as my "new favorite," and just noticed how minimal the Vario mount looks, and how neat the expandable feature is. Jeesh, I need a beer. Talk about full circle!
  12. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to corn-fuse the issue further for ya, I posted a few pics of my Metal Mule setup here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413009

They all do have their advantages and disadvantages. I think it's pretty hard to go massively wrong.

Rob in Seattle
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I installed the BMW wind deflectors yesterday. Can't say that they do much to deflect the wind, it certainly doesn't change the GS into an RT. But I am hopeful that they'll help to protect the plastic in a mild tip-over. Plus, I think they look pretty stylish.

[​IMG]

They're made of the same flexible rubber as the beak protector, and fasten with three sheet metal screws from behind the plastic side panel. It's pre-scored for drilling, so installation was real easy.

[​IMG]

And I found these bag liners at JC Whitney that fit my 36L Caribous almost perfectly. At $17 each, they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones Caribou sells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David
  14. labatts1999

labatts1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:

you wouldn't have a link for those bags now would ya?

:)
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Sure, labatts1999. Here you go. :D

David
  16. labatts1999

labatts1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:

thanks!
  17. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll add my post running on MRN to the fray - LINKY

:thumb:thumb:thumb
  18. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi David. Those Wind deflecters, they are not in the Australian BMW prices book. Do you still have the part numbers for them? I would appreciate it if you could post them please. Love your bike, it looks just like mine!! Bigem
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't you put a fatter Pelican on the non-Muffler side? I'd like that. And skip the little trunk, give yourself a place to strap the bedroll/tent.
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Sure thing, Bigem. BMW calls it the Wind Deflector Kit, and it's part no: 71 60 7 713 100. Retails for US$56 over on this side of the world.

David