1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Xride suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by upwgdrb, Jun 5, 2020.

1. upwgdrb

upwgdrb n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen or have any details about the new BMW Xride suit besides what’s in the catalog?
  2. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
  3. upwgdrb

upwgdrb n00b

Oddometer:
    Me as well. My dealer and one on order he is bringing in for a customer(not me) next week.
  4. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting but a bit $$
  5. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both this XRide and the newer Rallye jackets are being offered with separate rain liners. The main jacket therefore is probably lighter, more conforming, and easier to maintain than a jacket that must be rainproof in addition to being protective. The vast majority of my riding is in clear weather and without the prospect of rain - so I'll happily carry the rain liner separately or not at all. Assuming the rain liner works when called upon, we're back to comfort and proper fit as selection criteria - so the basic jacket's weatherproofness is no longer necessary. (And, the liners fit outside the jacket so the on/off would be fairly easy).
    Peanut_Buttery and upwgdrb like this.
  6. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    So if the liners are outside the suit it isnt a liner it is a rain jacket. There are better and cheaper options. Anything with rain liners is a waste of time.
  7. Sailorlite

Oddometer:
    Which are the options that are better? And yes in this case what they're calling liners do go on the outside of the jacket/pants.
  8. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Not true. Liners work just fine but they are more application dependent. The key advantage is that the waterproof layer is now underneath the armor, protected better in the event of a crash (typically off road).

On road, I agree that external shell jackets are typically a better option.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the look of it, but it seems to be lacking venting for North American use?
  10. upwgdrb

upwgdrb n00b

Oddometer:
    That is one of my concerns.
  11. upwgdrb

upwgdrb n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok I got to see one at my dealer briefly. It was quite interesting. There are leather sections surrounded by a flexible mesh like material. This is definitely a summer, spring, fall suit. I wish I knew what that material is. The cost point is high for you basic nylon or polyester material. That being said as in most BMW gear it appeared to be well put together. You also get an over rain suit for both the top and bottom.

My accessories guy said he thought it was a replacement for the Atlantis. I don’t know they are quite different. He also said they had little or no communication from BMW about the line this year. So they have no clue how anything is made.

It looks like it would be super comfortable to ride in. It was more porous than a Klim Marrakesh which has similar flexibility or so I am told.

One thing that caught my attention is that the leather was not on the rear of the pants.
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s not just a stretch nylon like used in the majority of leather jackets? I haven’t seen a stretch material weave that’s more open then a Marrakesh, so that’s interesting.

I wish there were details on it anywhere :(.
  13. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope they don’t replace the Atlantis!
  14. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to my dealer last week to get sized, and it turns out I'm a 45 in BMW. The problem is that the closest size to that in the X Ride is 46, and it's special, prepaid, order only, with no refunds. They're not getting any in, for inventory.

This is an intriguing piece of kit.
  15. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Revzilla says
    Are you saying their description is wrong and there isn't leather on the seat?
  16. Sailorlite

Oddometer:
    I think many dealers would order in both 44 and 46 for you, with no prepayment and no obligation to buy either if you're not happy with the fit.
  17. upwgdrb

upwgdrb n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes I am. Here is a picture IMG_1009.jpg
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  18. upwgdrb

upwgdrb n00b

Oddometer:
    Here is the front of the pants. Unfortunately my picture of the jacket had a photographer issue. I totally messed up the picture.
    IMG_1007.jpg
  19. upwgdrb

upwgdrb n00b

Oddometer:
    My dealer says the same thing but they will stock and replace if it doesn’t fit.
    I am on the fence about it because I just don’t know enough about the main material.
    I am sure it will extremely comfortable. But what about protection? I have one friend who had a major get off in BMW gear and swears by it. He returned his Klim gear.
  20. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying. I thought that was what you meant, but wanted to make sure. I wouldn't have been happy if I bought the pants in your photo based on the Revzilla description I read.

If I were expecting that though, they might be good pants. Probably more protective than any of my textile pants.