BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer

Oddometer:
    rschulte and Mav like this.
  2. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this!

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. I have a new Streetguard suit to last me over the winter but I don't care for the new sizing.

Hopefully this has the normal tighter Euro sizing.
  3. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Looks really, really good. The armor in BMW gear is the best I've personally worn. It will be nice to see them do away with separate water proof liners.
  4. ACR-COL

ACR-COL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys. Good morning.

When this will be available? And off curse, the price.
  5. GreyMachine

GreyMachine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great. Nice to see BMW coming out with more subdued adventure gear.
    Zach440 likes this.
  6. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Too bad it will probably cost (at least) the same as any Gore-Tex 3 layer suit available at the moment, but without actually being made from Gore-Tex-brand material.

I do agree though, the BMW NP2 armor is good, I especially like its size: it is large and goes "around" the knee/shoulder/elbow, thus fits great and feels very reassuring. The only downside is that it gets rock-hard in low temperatures and has a tendency to break in places where it gets bent frequently (for example the top part of the knee protector).
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Looks good but unfortunately my experience with BMW waterproof membranes (or any non-Gore Tex material) is that they aren't waterproof.
  8. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the BMW jackets are supposed to be waterproof, e.g., TourShell and StreetGuard. I've bought one of each in 2016 and have had to return both of them because they were definitely not rainproof. Fortunately, both were covered by BMW's 2-year warranty which is one reason I bought them. You could say I test-toured them several thousand miles and then got my money back. Between these two jackets I also bought one of the new Firstgear Kilimanjaro jackets - that one does seem to be rainproof and is otherwise well designed too. The EnduroGuard does look interesting but this time I'll wait for others to do the rain testing.
  9. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    By three layer I wonder whether they are alluding to it actually being gore-tex, but without the "brand" name. Is there a precedent for that? This suit checks all the right boxes if its waterproof and vents well. I miss the massive protection of BMW armor.
  10. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    The link says 2017, as for price, who knows?
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    No.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old saying goes, if you have to ask you can't afford it. In the case of stuff like this from BMW it probably holds true.
  13. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    The layout of this looks excellent. Interested to see the first reviews.
  14. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also announced was a 2-in-1 enduroguard gloves. If it's a more breathable version of the Held concept meant for warm weather, I'll be all over it.
  15. younger06

younger06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, it won't be actual Goretex. The dynatex outer shell is produced by schoellar so I wouldn't be surprised if the laminated waterproof membrane is actually their "C-Change" membrane. Halvarssons and Richa have used this laminated layer and I'm fairly sure BMW have used it recently as well.

Sent from a OnePlusX
  16. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Interested but if follows their street line (Streetguard) it'll probably be too hot for summer. I have an old Comfortshell and like the breathability over my Goretex Klim. The outer material is heavy also and appear would take more abrasion as well. I'll certainly be checking this new gear out once it hits the local dealer.
  17. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
  18. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I guess it’s one of those where YMMV. My experience is the exact, radical opposite: I have tried lots and lots of membranes over the years, on bike and non-bike gear, and I have never noticed material differences. Gore-tex, gore-tex pro, Event, Schoeller’s c-change, Revit’s own membrane, Dainese’s own membrane, Rohan’s Barricade (a British brand of mountain gear) and possibly others I forget now.

May I ask what membranes failed you, and how? Did rain sneak through, or did you sweat too much? If rain sneaked through, are you sure it was because the membrane leaked? Rain entering jackets through the collar, or the gloves if worn over the jackets, is quite common and has nothing to do with the membrane. Also, no fabric can ever be completely waterproof. My riding is never too extreme – never more than 1.5 hours of continuous rain – but there are reports of other inmates whose gore-tex pros wetted out after very intense rain.

Testing waterproofness is quite straightforward, with the caveats above, but I find comparing breathability is not, because the membrane is only one of the many factors determining how much you sweat/the garment breathes. Since you’ll never have a gore-tex version and a some-other-membrane version of the very same jacket, a like-for-like comparison is very hard, IMHO. Actually, this could be done swapping removable waterproof liners, e.g. putting a Dainese waterpfoof underneath a Revit jacket and viceversa, but I hate jackets with removable liners.

For example, the gore-tex is the very same in my Dainese leather motorcycle booths and in my lightweight, Adidas trekking shoes, yet no brownie points shall be awarded to those who guess which make my feet sweat more! :)

Last summer I bought a pair of Held rain overtrousers (very thin, no armour, just for protection from the rain). Well, they made my legs sweat just as much as the much cheaper rain overtrousers by Tucano Urbano, an Italian brand of scooter gear; this was wearing the very same gear and layers, same jacket, riding on the same bike with identical weather conditions, etc.

The vents on the jacket, the air protection offered by the bike, the heft, bulk and weight of the jacket, the kind of fit, the layers worn underneath, they all play a factor in determining sweat and breathability. I have had conversation with bikers who complained about a new jacket not breathing well, only to find out they were wearing cotton underneath, and not any kind of wicking fabric, like merino or synthetics.

Of course I fully appreciate that not everyone has my same experience, and that these things are extremely subjective. My key piece of advice to fellow bikers is to keep this in mind before spending lots of money on a more super-duper membrane: you might benefit from it, or you might not.
    F650Dakar_Norway and Sailorlite like this.
  19. TheLondonder

Oddometer:
    The link seems to have been moved here: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/.../com/en/individual/news/2011/news.jsp&id=6024

Melikey! I hope BMW UK will import this - in the past they haven't always imported every jacket available in the Bavarian motherland.

This 'ceraspace' seems like Schoeller's version of superfabric. Too bad it's not applied to the shoulders nor the bottom. I had never heard of this material before.

From the pictures, I like the cut better than the Klim Badlands; also, this BMW is available in an all-grey version, which the Badlands isn't. I still prefer the looks of the Klim Apex, though - more stylish IMHO. However, I don't get along with Klim's armour because their D3O tends to be smaller than many Knox, Revit and Forcefield protectors: the elbow one, in particular, rotates away too easily on me. BMW's armour should be better in this regard.

I wonder how the jacket will compare with Stadler's track pro and force pro, one with leather, one with superfabric reinforcements: http://www.stadler-bekleidung.de/3-layer-en.html They are not meant for off-road and don't come in an all-grey version

Does any one know if these NP2 protectors are CE-level 2 or level 1?

Also, do you know how much other BMW jackets weigh compared to, say, Klim's or the Revit Dominator? I find weight is a big factor in determining how 4-season a jacket really is: in traffic a lighter jacket with fewer vents may be better than a jacket with the best vents in the world but which is very heavy. Of course bike gear is always a compromise!
  20. TheLondonder

Oddometer:
    I have used c-change for a short period of time, about a week, but first impressions are positive. It seems on par with gore-tex pro but, like I wrote, I have never really noticed material differences among membranes.
    C-change is the laminated membrane I have on this: http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/hideout-leather-hi-pro
    I will be posting a detailed review, but not before a month at least - I have to go back to the shop for some adjustments (the jacket is made to measure).
    younger06 likes this.