BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    I had my 1st pair of BMW 2-in-1 gloves for just under 2 years when they started wetting through the fingers. I contacted Gore for a replacement claim. After a few emails and even a polite call they denied my claim due to 'wear' . They asked how I learned that they leak and I replied while riding my motorcycle in the rain. I also added that I tried the submerged sink test and they failed, which was why I was initiating a claim. Not like I do yard work in these things. They determined from the photos they were used beyond normal lifespan according to Gore-Tex.

Then realized I was still in my BMW 2-yr warranty period and took them to my dealer. Walked out with new gloves. So yeah, 2 things happened: BMW accepted the claim from the dealer on my behalf or the dealer stood behind their customer and ate the loss. I hope its not the latter as no dealer can afford to do this as normal policy. My replacement 2-in-1 were perfect, and I am now on my 3rd pair.
    RoundTrip and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have long term experience yet, but spidis new globetracker is pretty damn badass for waterproofing. The fabric looks like it wets out, but it's completely dry after torrential rain. It's impressive. Just a thought.on another suit to consider. Fit is great too.
  3. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm fairly annoyed with riding gear right now...

I was at the dealer again last night trying on the Badlands Pro pants which just came in. Size 34 fit everywhere except a whisker tight in the waist (if I pop the waist snaps open, they're perfect - thought about putting in an extender - LOL :D ) The size 36 pants I had to cinch the waist straps down quite a bit, but then, the rest of the pants were like parachute pants. This is exactly why I like Euro sizing....Then I try the jacket on again...size Large. It fits good, but I'm looking in the mirror and its honestly a bit long in the torso for me and the sleeve length is at the max length I can take. A size Medium jacket? It fit snug like race leathers....NOT how a touring jacket should fit. There was absolutely NO room to put on a thicker baselayer for cold weather riding.

Once again, I hate the Klim sizes....they just do not work for me. So now I'm back to square one.

I have a Rallye Pro 3 jacket and pants. I'm thinking about finding a nicer rain coat to fit over top and then upgrade the armor with the latest NP2 stuff. I had my RP3 on a few days ago and am BLOWN away at how that thing fits like a tailored suit...and the cut of the jacket is trim, the material is NOT bulky. It just fits. Maybe I research the cost of buying the new rallye jacket liners which also work as outer wear.

Does anyone know if the new Rallye rain liners are designed as outwear OVER the riding gear or if they are just styled a bit more to wear as rain gear while off the bike?

What a PITA....
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The liner for the 2018 RP can be worn over the jacket as well as under.
    SmittyBlackstone and TuonoBiker like this.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried any of the Revit gear? I wish I had a dealer nearby so I can at least look at it..... I hate mail ordering clothing... :becca
  6. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife has Rev'It gear and its decent...overall, the quality is good, but not great. She doesn't ride (passenger, not a driver) with me all the time...probably less than half the miles I do and her coat/pants show signs of wear...frays, loose threads, etc. My RP3 gear looks fantastic for the usage its had. I'd like something that will hold up longer term. Granted, her gear was priced in the mid-range, so I'm sure they make a model of jacket/pants that is built a little more robust.

Revzilla is an hour and 15 minute drive to Philly for me and I still can't find time to get there. I hate mail ordering clothing as well.
  7. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I may pursue this way.... or go back to an EnduroGuard...
  8. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    I'm keeping both my RP and my EG for weather and whim.
  9. 3Putt

3Putt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to try on both the EG and RP yesterday. The EG is heavy! I've been using a ComfortShell suit for the past 10 years and I was expecting the EG to be more like it. Don't know why, but I thought the EG used the C-change fabric like the CS. The RP was heavy too in comparison to the CS.

My CS is OLD but it still looks good, you don't have to treat it with anything, and it's never leaked. Was pretty disappointed to read about the EG's leaking.

On a side note I've been wearing the BMW Men's Rider pants and they rock.
  10. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The EG is heavy even compared to the RP3. My RP3 is the last version before they went to the ProTechwool fabric. The new RP has a full vent back panel too which is kind of cool.

The weight of the EG is a drawback, but I honestly didn't notice it being a problem. The toughest ride I did with it was this past July. We rode from Denver up through Wyoming over to Jackson and the Tetons. It was above 95 F for 5 of the 8 days we traveled. Loooooong days across the Wyoming high-plains in 100+F heat...it was tough going. But I don't know if I'd have been better off in my RP3. Hot is hot.

I too was very disappointed in the leaking seams on my EG. The fact both arms leaked in the elbow gusset and the pants in the crotch gusset make me believe they need to up their game in the seam-sealing category. Very, very frustrating.
  11. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    I admit that I wonder about how heavy it is every time I take it out of the closet but I honestly don't notice it on the bike. My most miserable experience was coming back from glorious Placerville/Yosemite through beautiful but a lot hotter Death Valley and then Las Vegas at 105*. Everything but an air conditioned luxury car sucks on those long straight hot days. No leaks for me though (yet). Rain and hail at Summit Pass but no issues.

OTOH, when I throw my RP on for a day ride it's like a really light mesh jacket by comparison. After hunting for a unicorn jacket for 40 years, I am content with the EG being my LD/Touring jacket and using my RP3 (or maybe a new RP :-) ) for hot dry desert day rides.
  12. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I'm only 42, I haven't been hunting for the unicorn jacket for 40 years, but I think I'm learning from folks like yourself who have been searching for a long time...I'm arriving at a very similar conclusion. If you spring for a new RP, I'll be a tad bit jealous. ;) I'll never get rid of my RP3....its a great hot weather option.
  13. 3Putt

3Putt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it would be too heavy to wear, I just wouldn't want to lug it around.
  14. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Wearing the suit is fine, but toting the jacket around off-bike is another thing. I cram mine in my side case if empty, otherwise it gets cabled to the bike or just comes with me..
  15. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    If your jacket is too heavy, perhaps you should be stronger? :lol3
  16. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    :lol2 No probs in that dept...:pynd
    RoundTrip likes this.
  17. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    I'd rather wear it, as it means I'm riding!! :ricky
  18. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I've had my Enduroguard for mostly a full riding season in the PNW, from March to today. This season saw variances from sleet/rain, and 36F, to 100F and 50% humidity. I'm mostly comparing this jacket against the closest competition in my group of jackets, probably 5, namely BMW's Streetguard, but also other jackets in my varied collection.
    The positives:
    1] Absolutely overbuilt quality on par with any other high cost high end competition. I have no doubt that if I were to fall off the bike, this jacket would not only protect my 'joints and corners', it will last for years without 'self disassembly'. Very best of fabric, stitch, and armour, and close to par with others with armour placement.
    2] Waterproof tested in the "rain coast".
    3] Handy placement of pockets, and rear storage.
    4] I really like it's full 3/4 - 7/8 cut, with lower cut at the back buttock area.
    The negatives:
    1] This jacket is a 'cold in the winter' and 'hot in the summer' type. As it does not have any kind of insulating liner, one must introduce some kind of warmth layer from 50F and lower. Which is not usually an issue, but with this jacket's cut, being tight around the shoulder and underarm area, actually causes arm circulation issues. The cut is tight in there, and this jacket is definitely not too small for me. This may not be an issue for others, but it is for my 6'4" 270 pound frame. In hot temperature, this jacket fails at venting. It's high quality overbuilt but very stiff fabric conspire to prevent it's potentially capable venting openings unusable as when all vents are zipped open, the stiffness and zipper cover flaps keep the vents essentially closed. Yes, they say, in hot weather, you are supposed to zip the main front zipper open to allow the inner zipper to hold the jacket closed, but I find this unacceptable to reducing it's safety aspects if you fall or crash.
    2] Inferior design of the arm cuff area. A snap button, followed by a single skinny strap, which is so "busy", that one really has to think about what type of glove to wear, and I've got 10 types of glove. you have to use either a small undergarment minimalist or no gauntlet style, or a massive gauntlet style to go over all this architecture. Then, there's that poorly designed zipper style "bug stopper" inside the cuff, which is prone to unzipping itself after a couple hours, and in unzipped mode or full zip mode, digs into the wrist area enough that it becomes distracting. Comparing to the Streetguard's effortless, comfortable, usable cuff, and bug seal design, I call this cuff area perhaps the Enduroguard's biggest design fail.
    3] Inferior design of the neck area. Again, compared to my Streetguard, I find the Enduroguard to be abrasive uncomfortable, with it's lack of material conducive to comfortable skin contact and movement, to cold and drafty in the cold, and bothersome flappy in summer, the flap which always sticks to the fabric of my helmet liner with it's velcro.
    4] This jacket is heavy. As mentioned, my size, lifestyle, and work conditions would not be affected by such things as garment weight. But it is noticeable on an 8 hour run of various ride types.
  19. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW first introduced the EnduroGuard suit in late 2016 at one of the big European m/c shows. Perhaps in a month or two they will announce an EG 2, or another model, which resolves some of the issues mentioned above.
    SmittyBlackstone and Candubrain like this.
  20. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That might explain why I'm into my 4th week waiting for the dealer to get the EG jacket and pants I ordered.

I had it in my mind if the EG suit doesn't arrive this coming week I was going for another brand, KLIM seems to be the garment of choice. Yesterday I went to a KLIM retailer and tried on the Badlands PRO, Carlsbad and Latitude jacket and pants. From the KLIM sizing calculator on their website, I should be wearing an XL jacket and 36 Long pants. I found myself swimming in the XL and the L was a better fit although shorter in the arms. The pants, there was no consistency in the sizing; a Badlands 38 I couldn't pull up, where as a 36 Carlsbad I was way too loose.

Also found their collars to be ridiculously designed, a draw string in the back of the neck to tighten it, I can see that being an irritant rubbing against the helmet.

As far as the waterproof issue and needing to clean and reapply the magic solution regularly to maintain it, I've also seen this written on garments with 2 or 3 layer Gore-tex
    Without question a Gore-tex appears to be the better fabric with less maintenance required.