BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ "...tried on the Badlands PRO, Carlsbad and Latitude jacket and pants."

I recently discovered Klim's Kodiak jacket which comes in the "Euro" sizes and fits quite differently from the other lines.
  2. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well after a 3000 + miles trip this week I am in love with my EG suit.
    It worked perfectly.
    In the hot days 90-95 degrees plus , while riding it was cool and comfortable. The suit plus the Bmw summer riding under shirt and pants and wearing the cooling vest soaked in water kept me even cooler in the afternoons. In addition of a wet neck bandanna.
    Now I realize that my Bmw under armor shirts works better to keep me cool if I use the long sleeves over the short sleeves. Otherwise my forearms gets hot and sweaty.

Now the waterproof issue.
    I had none.
    I encountered several rain showers which the suit tackled with no issues.
    No leaks whatsoever.
    Now none of the rain lasted for over an hour but few were really strong to the point that in one of them the traffic on the I-95 stoped to a halt because no one could see ahead.
    Kind of scary being there.
    Two things.
    First the antecubital area anterior to elbows feels cooler when raining but no leaks.
    Second if wearing short sleeves rain drops hurts more than if wearing Long sleeves and also if short sleeves then forearms sweat more and you feel wet condensation and wet inside the plastic sleeves.
    This never happened with long sleeves.
    Have Issues sometimes closing all the vents when rain comes in quickly specially the ones in the back.
    Few times I went thru these rain bands without closing all my vents again usually the back ones which requieres me to remove the jacket and still I got no leaks.
    Pants worked perfect as well no leaks.
    The EG gloves same performance.
    In the proof chamber completely dried.
    I think it is a little bit of a pain to put the gloves on Velcro the gloves cover the gauntlet with the plastic sleeve and close the zipper. To me this is the most difficult part sometimes requires a third hand of use of teeth then close the snap and tight the final Velcro.
    I don’t know if the water hose test here reported is an accurate test for these jacket as the amount of water delivered and the matter how the membrane saturates maybe different from rain to water hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Darn it, I just finished convincing myself not to buy the EG suit, (if it ever arrives), now I read this;
    what to do.......
    3Putt likes this.
  4. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    it's great gear. Just buy and enjoy it.
    toramorgan and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tell you I was so uneasy and nervous about the EG failing after all these reports and tests here that I brought with me a new rally jacket and a rain suit. And dry gloves,Just in case I packed an extra dry bag on passenger seat with those items.
    Well I guess Murphy’s law worked because I have a back up never need it. ? Or the suit really works as advertised.

SmittyBlackstone and TuonoBiker like this.
  6. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for this suit to arrive, it's going on 5 weeks since I placed the order. I did my sizing following the sizing chart and have never seen this suit in person.
    Which got me to thinking is the pants an over pants? Or designed to be worn with just underwear?
    thanks
    brian
  7. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Underwear or base layer
  8. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    thanks RounTrip
  9. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Suit and gloves came in today and had to send them all back as they were too large.

I'm a 109cm chest (44") and 104cm waist (40") and 104cm Hips (40"), 6'5" tall and 205lbs. I had ordered size 110 in both jacket and pants, and 11-11.5 Gloves even though I measured as a 10-10.5

Both the jackets and pants were too large around the waste and chest. I could cinch them up using the side straps but then I looked liked the Michelin Man.
    Gloves fit around the circumference of my hand, but the fingers were too short and I couldn't open up my hand as my thumb travel was being restricted by the material.

Mailed them back and ordered 106 sizing in the jacket and pants and bumped the gloves up to 12-12.5.

If it takes another 5 weeks for this to come in my riding season will be done.

I'm going to repost this in the other thread that deals with sizing.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used bmw underwear riding long sleeve shirts and pants

11. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's it!!!! I'm OUT!!!! I'm going with tank top, shorts and flip-flops.....I'm DONE with riding gear!!!!

OK, maybe I'm over-reacting. So, just to re-cap: Enduroguard jacket and pants left me wet. Dealer got refunded by BMW. I tried on Klim gear ad nauseum to no avail....too tight or fits like parachute pants.

So, the past couple weeks went by and I decided to give BMW another go. Saturday, I went up to the dealer and took home the pants in my size 54 that he had in stock...no black jacket in size 54 so he said he'd order right away Tuesday (they are closed Monday). Well, I was kickin' around the house today and going to go out for a ride when I decided to do a little garden hose "Gentle Shower" setting test on the pants.

They wet right through the material in no time, flat. The fabric simple isn't water-proof....at all. Like, it's just not waterproof. I know other folks have had no problems, but this is 2 for 2, now. I'm not bothering with the jacket. I'm done.

So, who knows what I'll find, but I'm done with BMW riding gear. Too bad - it fits me so very well, looks great, has incredible features, very good detailing on the construction. On and on, the Pro's make up a long list. But, it sure ain't waterproof.

[/rant]

:freaky
    bestiaparda likes this.
  12. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this hose test is so unfair to the suit.
    I think the amount of water delivered to the membrane per second is more than what fabric is intended for. Also by being stationary and not moving you may increase the amount of water per area etc etc etc all of these are not factual claims nor I’m an engineer or designer or a very smart person regarding design physics etc. But practical I am. And I am sure these German guys didn’t sat around with hoses testing this suit.
    But at each his own.

I would never test mine like that because the membrane is suppose to be porous somehow. So I think the right way to is riding it.
    Mine worked very well.
    Didn’t even leaked in the areas I was concerned which ( the sleeves )which I had cut short about one inch and had a tailor do it.
    Without disturbing the plastic sleeves now mine Id plastic pocket on left sleeve is almost at the edge.
    Anyhow I’m sorry for all of you that had been let down by the EG and won’t be able to enjoy it as I did.

Just go ride and take a rain suit in case it really fails.

Best luck and stay dry

SmittyBlackstone and RoundTrip like this.
  13. istadniy

istadniy Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer:
    They seal it across a tube, put water on top of it and try to force water through. Supposedly (if "10 000mm rating" blurb in catalogue is to be believed) it should take about 1 bar of additional pressure to force water through it.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it really only a 10 000mm water column rating? Wow, that's actually not that great if you're going to be facing serious rainfall at highway speeds, that's going to overcome the membrane once the DWR wets out after a while. GoreTex, Toray Dermizax EV, Sympatex, and some other membranes are rated well above 20000mm, which is what I'd want for motorcycle use unless you're behind the faring of a RT or something.
  15. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not one of the other BMW waterproof suits that have a proven track record, if you like the BMW gear?
  16. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TuonoBiker and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  17. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess i'm not seeing the gentle spray of a hose any different than a downpour of rain...My first suit had soaked coat arms and through the gusset/crotch area in a matter of minutes...45-50 mph through heavy rain overwhelmed the fabric in less than 10 minutes.

I understand what you're saying, but my thought is that waterproof is waterproof...it shouldn't permeate after literally 2-3 minutes of gentle spray from a garden hose. Maybe 2 or 3 hours? For almost a thousand bucks for a coat and 650 for pants, I guess my expectations are not where they ought to be...
  18. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to the BMW Ride Gear Catalog, the C.A.R.E. standard for water resistance in their Climate Membrane is 10,000mm head of water.

Kudos to BMW for at least providing their standard!
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everybody provides their water column rating, usually somewhere on the product details page. FYI, the CE regulation for a product to be considered “waterproof” is only a 3000mm water column, obviously geared towards outdoors wear. There are a number of membranes with a 20k + rating, it’s interesting that bmw is not using them.
  20. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a very good question - why aren't they using them? I will have to search and see if I can find what Klim is using in their Badlands Pro jacket...is their GorePro shell a 20,000mm fabric? BMW may be using something less waterproof with the idea that breath ability will be greater.

Edit: So I found an article on https://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/waterproof-guide/ that refers to GoreTex being a 28,000mm fabric...

I guess what this all says is that the EG suit is intended to shed water and protect you, but it certainly is not designed to keep you dry if you're riding all day in the rain. The numbers and data just don't support that. So, that puts it back on me, now that I got my edu-mu-cation.... accept the specs of the EG or move on to something else.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

:beer