BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the short size in EG. Being blessed with a tall frame 5-6 “ and shrinking as time goes by the short sizes fit perfect.
    Pants 25 and jacket 24
    I still cut the sleeves of jacket by 3/4 inch as it felt a tad long and uncomfortable. But now perfect.
    I really like this suit.
    Jacket getting better softer.
    And like I said before wore it thru a week of riding 3k miles the week Florence hurricane came to town.
    Did not go thru Florence but had few days of rain and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is interesting, indeed. It'd be cool to be able to search Toray stuff and see who is using their materials. A buddy of mine hunts in Kuiu stuff as well and swears by it. I'm still a Filson mackinaw wool guy for hunting insulation, but nothing beats a technical outer layer that's waterproof!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have some Filson brush pants that are about 20 years old. Cotton canvas with wax coating. Best pants for doing just about anything. The bottoms are so torn up I look like a homeless guy when out cutting wood in them.
  4. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Spidi does.
    Their latest Globetracker adv suit had the Dermizax, but they only manufactured it for one season for some reason.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Spidi, and nobody else, uses Toray textiles throughout their line. The performance of Dermizax EV over GorePro and other laminates is what pushed me to buy their jacket. You can find them on closeout at various European vendors right now, although the pants are the harder thing to find.
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless you want XL:photog:beer
  7. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using Rukka suits for the last 8yrs and would like to try something different for change. This Enduroguard ticks all the right boxes for me but by reading this thread the suit isn’t should I say promising option..

Goretex has never failed to keep water out, except one or two times after 8-10hrs of riding in moderate-hard rain when water found its way in from neck and in front the jacket where there’s no connecting zipper to the pants..

Enduroguard is a bit cheaper than laminated Rukka suits but if EG fails to keep me dry then it’s just pure waste of money because it’s impossible to return a used suit.

Nevertheless this Enduroguard is my number one option at the moment for my next suit.

Does somebody know how the Rukka and BMW suits compare with their sizing?
    Any information appreciated!
  8. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW says in their advertising that the EnduroGuard is waterproof, and that it's covered by their 24 mo. warranty. I'd recommend clarifying the meaning of that with the selling dealer - what to do if it does leak.
    Can they take it back or not?
  9. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I have read here you can return the suit if it fails, as a few peeps here have done so.
    Personally so far, my suit is waterproof and I have washed it twice with Nikwax Techwash and have reapplied a waterproofing spray....
    Using the garden hose to test the waterproofing is a bit questionable IMHO, as water pressure from it is much higher than a rider would encounter riding through a rainstorm.
    I went through two Florida whiteout deluges and stayed dry.
    Maybe this suit requires a bit more TLC than usual but it is a great suit so far. Just my 0.02 CT’s, YMMV
    Kmendez and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode through a frog strangler in my EG jacket this weekend and stayed dryzabone.
    Huckwheat and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. MadtownMaxx

MadtownMaxx more ride than post Supporter

Oddometer:
    .... I see you're from AZ.... maybe you have 'dry' rain in addition to 'dry' heat? :lol3:lol3
  12. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    It's been hard to find a good rain to test in. Last weekend I got the chance.
  13. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to announce that after several months trying different suites (Klim Badland, Spidi Globetracker, Rukka, Alpinestar Rvenant...) I've decided to buy the BMW Enduroguard.

Next week I will depart for a 4 weeks tour around west Africa from Spain (16000km or so), so I think I'll be able to give a complete review about the suite perfomance. Hope it will serve good in all kind of weather...
  14. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same experience here

15. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frog strangler?

16. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh boy sounds like a dream trip
    I am sure suit will do well

17. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    Heavy rain
  18. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your trip sounds great and one which I must do someday.

I also have BMW EG suit and I did try the Klim Badlands Pro before buying it. The BP jacket was fine, but Klim’s trousers didn’t fit as good as EGs (tried 32’ both regular and short and were kind of baggy and knee protectors were too low).

I haven’t try the EG in a downpour yet but I did wear it during a sunny and hot weekend riding on tracks. I was sweating profusely (I usually don’t) but I believe it would had happened with any comparable jacket (lower speed, less wind, more physical effort). As widely reported, inside cuffs (sleeves and pants) do not help at all (I will wait for winter to decide if I get rid of them). Other than that, I felt protected and cool (pun intended).

Just take it into account if you expect high temperatures in Africa.

Because of sweat (and dust) I had to machine wash it. I did it in cold water and tumble dried it on low speeds. It came out perfect but it took a while to dry.

I think is great suit for fall and spring months, but not for most of the summer, when the weather is 80 degrees or more and specially if you use it on tracks, at lower speeds.
  19. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope so... Thanks!

Well... Hope to find more spring-like weather rather than high temp. Anyway, in summer there is not suite that doesn't Cook you
  20. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use my EG as a track day suit but I can't think of a better touring solution.