1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    umm I don't think he meant track day but on 'tracks'
    Kmendez and RoundTrip like this.
  2. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're probably right....
  3. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. We rode secondary roads for more than 320 miles (each way). From there we took some tracks.

Anyway, I’m very happy with the EG. Tomorrow I’ll test it with rain.
    SmittyBlackstone and RoundTrip like this.
  4. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    Here's a long term-ish ride review for my EG jacket. I have had mine for over a year now and have ridden it in temps from the low 30's to about 114*F. Most of that riding has been in dry weather and a lot of it in very hot temps. Lately I have also had the chance to ride through some strong rain. For context, I ride a 2015 R1200 GSA with a stock windscreen.

The jacket is built like a tank. Very well sewn, terrific armor coverage and it all fits together very well. There are vents everywhere (more on that later) and the snaps line up with minimal fiddling. Mine is made in Bosnia and aside from weighing about a zillion pounds I find the jacket to be incredibly well made. It was very stiff when new and a little time in the dryer with no heat helped a bit. Now, it is very soft and pliable remembering that there is armor basically everywhere. When wearing the jacket on the bike, both the weight and the armor seem to disappear.

In cold weather, the jacket provides very little insulation other than wind proofing and requires layering to keep warm. Everyone is different but I use a different base layer and a Warm and Safe electric jacket liner as my mid layer depending on temps. This seems to be very adequate. The neck opening on the EG is large enough for a buff in cold weather and to allow airflow in the heat. I have not used the cummerbund feature but I suspect it might stop drafts on a bike that had less wind protection than mine or if you were moving around on the bike quite a bit on dirt.

In warm weather the jacket is perfect, but then again, what jacket isn't perfect between 65*-80*? The vents and the magic Schoeller c_change fabric make this jacket a slam dunk for temperate weather riding. There isn't much to add. The jacket disappears and I feel safe and comfortable in the armor.

In hot weather (95*and up) the jacket shows some issues. I previously owned a ComfortShell jacket made from the same c_change material. It was completely unlined and had huge wrist openings that were easily adjusted while riding. That prior jacket worked well in temps well over 100*F. It was much more comfortable than the EG at those temps. The reason is all of the jacket, sleeve and cuff liners in the EG. While the sleeve lining and wrist zippers "may" have some use in cold weather, they are not great in hot weather. I have not yet cut them out of my jacket but still may at some time in the future. IMO, they are a negative on the jacket. That being said, I would not pass on the jacket due to them either.

There have been a few issues raised in this thread about leaking and vent functionality. Up until recently, I had only been through light rains in my EG and could only comment anecdotally on its waterproofing. Recently I have been through some very heavy rain and I am happy to report that I stayed completely dry. Vent functionality was an issue in the beginning for me. In hot weather, when the air temp is close to body temp, the vents did not seem to be effective. However, when the temps cooled down, I was able to distinctly determine a big difference with them open and closed. I think that when you are blowing hot air on yourself, vents are not as useful.

In conclusion, I like this jacket very much as an all weather touring jacket. It works well enough at temperature extremes and covers everything in the middle like a champ. In my area of the world, however, I will not use this jacket as my only one. For very hot dry day rides, I will be using my Rallye 3 jacket as it just breathes better in those conditions.
    toramorgan, bnsutton, I82l8 and 5 others like this.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that update! My experience is very similar to yours and since I live in a more humid climate, venting is almost a moot point. I am as cool or hot in the EG as I’m in my venting suit, wearing both on the same day to try and figure out which is better.. Not at the same time though..:D
    I have yet to experience colder weather so I have no idea how that would be like.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. stegs

stegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a pity that there some users are not having a great experience with their EG suits, I was one of a great number who thought the suit was the one we had all been looking for and had I been able to find one in a size small enough to fit, I would happily have bought it, and most likely been pleased. Now though, a lot of users seem to be saying that the suit is not up to the job, especially as far as waterproofing goes. As far as I can discover, except for Hideout Leather made-to-measure jackets, there are no motorcycle clothing brands advertising c_change in their line-up, though I'll be pleased to be shown to be wrong on that. Richa was possibly the last and I notice that their premium range now uses Goretex. With the move to laminates as distinct from the z-liner (which my Comfortshell uses) maybe c_change does not perform so well? It is still used, apparently successfully, in non-motorcycle outdoor clothing where it is laminated but to a very thin outer layer which may be the difference. Have BMW ever actually called the schoeller laminate used in the EG suit c_change? I have only seen it referred to as BMW climate membrane.
    I have a very good Goretex-Pro suit but still much prefer the CS jacket whenever anything less than persistent rain is forecast......I'll take the chance of getting a little bit damp, due to sleeves no longer being waterproof, since the CS is just so much more comfortable at the cold and hot ends of the temperature range. In the humid/damp/high UV climate in New Zealand the Goretex jacket is very comfortable between about 55 and 75 but either side of that the CS is just so much better. Sorry to hear that it doesn't seem to be the case with the EG, though as RoundTrip says, the CS jacket does flow a lot of air up the cuffs when opened which helps a lot.
    I guess I just keep looking for the unicorn jacket.
  7. 3Putt

3Putt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back when the Comfortshell and Richa jackets were a couple years old, there were reports from riders of membrane decay/failure, apparently due to the c_change membrane not dealing well with certain gasses/chemicals common around roadways. I'm not sure how substantiated that was, but considering that pretty much everybody but BMW has switched away from c_change in this market it is interesting.

That Harley/Dainese jacket is really interesting - the materials %s map pretty closely to what I remember from the EG suit I had - except the latter had a small % of elastine. Nice looking piece of gear.
    stegs likes this.
  9. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone mentioned track time. I would be perfectly comfortable with doing a track day in this suit due to the amount of armor and ballistics, although if nitpicking I would prefer at least one more layer of ballistic material on the seat of the pants to match what my racing leathers provide.

That Harley stuff does look very interesting. It certainly looks well vented, but would have to see one in person to judge the armor and ballistics.
  10. 3Putt

3Putt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The HD material feels ComfortShell-ish. My wife spotted the line while walking through the dealer after eating at their diner. It made me look at other HD branded stuff, they've got some nice gear and it's just down the street, not in Philly.
  11. FrostyO

FrostyO n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice review! My comments: Just returned from French Alps using EG suit. Happy to report suit worked well wet, cold and dry. The suit is heavy. In temps above 25C, it starts getting stuffy. Ride last year in Gila Valley AZ in +100F. Opening the outer zipper and fully vented the suit was tolerable, barely. Great thing about suit is usable pockets. Lot of vent zippers, just remember to close them all when it rains. Pricey but highly recommended.
    RoundTrip and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My suit arrived today, size 106 for both trousers and jacket, I had returned the 110 ensemble as it was too large despite adhering to the BMW Motorrad sizing chart.

I wore the jacket indoors for about 30 mins to give the armour a chance to mold to my body, the parcel had been left outside for 2 days dipping down to 2C at night, everything was very stiff when I first put it on.

Pulling "Sir Fallsdown Alot" out of the shed, I went for a ride, it was 6C with strong winds off Lake Huron and I encountered hail, wet snow and mild rain, none of which with any intensity, except the wind. The first thing I noticed was the breeze coming through the arms in the area of my biceps, then the air coming up my sleeves, (I was wearing the EG gloves). I rode for 37Kms at highway speeds, 90-100Kph. This is not a windproof jacket!! I'm wondering if the area I felt the breeze is where the reported leakage occurs.

I also noticed that the awkwardness of the jacket disappeared when riding, the jacket feels like it was cut for riding, not walking around.....good thing.

I'm hoping that this will be waterproof, if not I still have my HD rain suit that has never failed me. I know there are other brands out there, but the fit of this suit enticed me over despite the bad reviews.

Will update once I have more riding time in
    bnsutton likes this.
  13. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using the Enduroguard gloves? They are advertised as touch screen friendly, "Index finger and thumb tip suitable for touchscreen operation " But I can't get it to work on my iPhone 7
  14. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    The jacket doesn't have any internal insulation. What you felt was the ambient temp on your forearms. Long sleeved base layer fixes that. I seriously doubt it is going to leak.

My EnduroGuard gloves work just fine with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and now s9.
  15. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would agree with RoundTrip - I felt the same thing in the bicep area. I think, too, the fit of the jacket allowed that area of material to lay directly against the bicep....so no air gap between arm and fabric. Thus, you feel the cold temp against your arm.

Not sure how you felt air coming up the sleeves, though. Zip the cuff all the way and tuck that inside the gauntlet of the glove - not sure how air would get passed that.
  16. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine work fine on touchscreens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  17. FrostyO

FrostyO n00b

Oddometer:
    I have good luck with both the TourShell and now the new EG suit. And I have been wet in these and other gore tex suits (Aerostitch). So first, make sure the zippers are fully seated (this is experience speaking)! Second, Gore Tex eventually breaks down in sustained heavy rain or through repeated use. In the latter it pays to wash the Gore Tex with a commercially available sealing solution (REI has is it). I like both suits. The EG (jacket and legs) has 12--count them--venting zippers. Phew.
    Candubrain and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  18. FrostyO

FrostyO n00b

Oddometer:
    I have experienced some wind seepage in all of my jackets (at chest zipper mostly). Haven't tried the EG suit out in really cold wx, so will withhold comment. The EG jacket and pants have, count them, 12 vent zips. Speaking from experience, the zippers must be fully seated to keep water out. The material definitely does it job. But as you know, Gore Tex like materials do have their limits. So after long extended use (you will know when, you start getting damp), I suggest getting a commercially available waterproofing solution (sold in the US are REI) and "reseal" the material. Probably best to check the BMW recommendation. BY THE WAY: did you have your gloves under or over the sleeve cuff? I ride with my my sleeve cuff over the glove now. It works better.
    Candubrain likes this.
  19. FrostyO

FrostyO n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice write up on EG and mirrors my experience. Around 25C (86F) in humid environment, my suit gets pretty stuffy; however, I used it in drier 100F (AZ). Definitely hot, but bearable. It vents nicely much better when opening the outer jacket zipper. In the summer I prefer my ventilated jacket (aeroshell).
  20. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    On that ride in 5C that I felt the drafts, I was wearing a wool sweater over a cotton t-shirt, my EG gloves were over the inner sleeve of the jacket, with the outer shell of the jacket velcro's tightly on the outside of the glove.

Out again today, (nice being retired). It was 12C, sunny and windy. I wore my IceBreaker merino wool base layer long johns with a long sleeve cotton T over top. I still felt the coolness, I call it draft on my biceps, and a small draft coming up my sleeve. Something completely different I felt the coolness in my armpits, not so much drafty but there was a cooling affect. I'm wondering if in these areas the suit material detects heat, and opens up to breath more.

Biggest plus for me after today's 5 hr ride was no more crushed man bits. I've been wearing Diamond Gusset Motorcycle pants for years and never had this discomfort wearing them until the GSA, the EG trousers gave me the room I needed, all this time I thought it was the seat and and replaced it with a Touratech in hopes of eliminating the discomfort. Learn something every day, 60yrs old and just discovered tight jeans crush man bits......lol

This is the best fitting suit I've ever owned, even better than my tailor made leather jacket and chaps. It's snug fitting on the body, so nothing is flapping in the wind or billowing out. I was hoping for rain this afternoon, but only got a couple of drops, not enough to test the suit.