1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. pHudson

pHudson still riding

Oddometer:
    I just finished reading this entire thread. My thanks to those who have contributed. You've raised a lot of issues for me. One thing I've noticed is that nobody here compares the EG to a GS Dry jacket. I had one for two years and never in that time got wet.

My other main jacket for the past several years has been a MotoPort Marathon, so I long ago acquired the habit of carrying a rain jacket (I really like the BMW RainLock 2). I don't mind pulling over and putting it on, at least if the thought occurs to me before the rain begins. So that means the EG not being waterproof is for me more an annoyance than a dealbreaker. I tend to never leave the house without the RainLock.

For me then, the main issues--and I'm writing this to eventually arrive at a question--are protection, fit, longevity, understated branding, probably in that order. My riding is usually in sunny, warm conditions, but the temp can drop quickly when it rains or at altitude; and I tend to run cold. My GS Dry was rarely too warm, but at times I was cold even with a Warm and Safe Jacket, pants, and socks. So I'm looking for something that will vent really well, but also, with a windproof layer over the top (if needed) and a couple warm layers underneath, keep me warm when I'm still 4 or 5 hours from home and the temperature is dropping fast.

Based on comments here, the unlined EG isn't the best cold weather jacket, with for example the Street Guard offering more in that area--but then I lose the hot weather advantages of the EG. I've wanted a Rallye for a couple years, and wonder if the latest iteration is a better choice for all-round purposes. I can easily live with the over-jacket, have heard multiple times that it vents very well, and believe it to be protective and comfortable. I don't much care for its appearance: if I downsize from the GS to something like a BMW scooter, I think I'd feel a bit silly in the Rallye but not in the EG.
  2. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have gone for the GS Dry, but they don't come in tall sizes.

Like you, I'm also always cold, probably has something to do with how far my blood needs to travel. A well fitted suit reduces the amount of air space which in turn will keep you warmer. This is the first jacket I've had that the arms, legs and body have a snug fit, but not restricive. I still have room to layer and the full zipper that connect trousers to jacket reduces any updrafts.

The EG is an upgrade for me from a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and over pant, both have a zip out thermal liner, but I never felt warm in them as they were was too bulky, too much air space; and the pants leaked in the crotch the first time I wore them in the rain. I got a full refund on the pants, but the jacket never let me down in the rain, so I continued to use it until now.
    SmittyBlackstone and pHudson like this.
  3. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Can someone chime in if the gaiter and pant leg on the EG pants will fit over MX boots ? (Sidi Crossfires in my case).

Thanks heaps! Dorian
  4. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer:
    They fit over my Size 45 BMW Savanna boots, no problem. The pants have an adjustable cuff opening and in my case, they fit over said boots even with the tightest cuff setting.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    They fit very well over my BMW GS boots. Size 45..
  6. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have crossfires, plenty of room or you can put the inner cuff in the boot or just leave it unzipped and above the boot.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    No problem with Sidi Goretex 2
  8. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for the helpful replies everyone!

Cheers! Dorian
  9. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Review after a few cold rides, 5-12C temps, windy, but sunny.

Riding a 2018 GSA

I'm finding my legs are fine with a thin merino wool base layer and merino wool winter socks. The base layer is by Icebreaker, the 200 series.

For my upper, I need the help of my Gerbing jacket, thermostat set low, along with merino wool base layer (same model) and a long sleeve heavy weight cotton jersey.

My hands are only moderately okay with the EG gloves and the heated grips on. I suffer from Raynauds, so nothing short of heated gloves or adding my Hippo Hands will suffice. I'll be putting on the HH for the next ride and get away with a summer weight glove for dexterity.

The jacket and pants are very stiff and restricting; I understand that they break in with use, but I'm sure the cold weather also contributes to the rigidity. Presently I find I'm very clumsy on the bike because of the restricted movements.

No rain rides yet, can't bring myself to going out when its this cold and rainy. Okay if I'm already on a ride and get caught.

The zippered pockets are very hard to open/close and get your hands into to remove items. The pocket has to be pulled straight in order for the zippers to close, if there is any pucker, the zipper won't move beyond it.

So far, I see the reason these suits are so expensive. Very well made and thought out.

brian
  10. PRW

Oddometer:
    +1 :nod
  11. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my EG for the protection, fit and most features. However, I think a suit this expensive should have come with a YKK Aquaseal front zipper, however, like my Aerostich R3 did (edit: this should also apply to the front torso vent zippers). The stich, my new fall/winter/spring commuting suit, is certified fully waterproof due to the zipper and extensive, meticulous seam sealing. I'm don't think the EG would pass the same criteria, unfortunately (although I haven't went deep under the inner liner to check the seam seals). The EG does look a damn sight nicer than the stich, admittedly :)
    Splat! and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    IMHO a waterproof front zipper will wear out faster then most people would like as it is the only one used all the time, unlike the vent zippers that are waterproof.
    People are already bitching about the vent and pocket zippers being tight, so I can imagine what a front zipper would bring to the table... YYMV :amazon
    RoundTrip, SmittyBlackstone and PRW like this.
  13. bowseruni

bowseruni 2018 r1200 GSA

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to try on a EG jacket the other day, it fitted chest etc well but I found the forearms were excessively large, not long but large diameter. I also found the little inner cuff things annoying. Back to the drawing board for jackets...
  14. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the ykk aquaseal zipper is easier to use and likely more durable than the aquaguard zips used on the EG vents. It uses waterproof interlocking teeth instead of the overlapping rubber edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Could very well be, I don’t know, but what I do know is that dust and grime are a zipper’s biggest enemy and the mothership must have considered all options before settling on what they put in...
  16. PRW

Oddometer:
    Just finished my 13th month exclusively riding with the EnduroGuard suit. In alignment with my initial review in this thread following my first long ride with it from Chicago to San Francisco last September, through all sorts of weather and temperatures, I am still pleased with it, overall. Other than the annoyance with the waterproof pocket zippers being tricky to open/close and the reliance on using excessive Velcro around the wrists, it is a very well designed and safe suit for mid-cold weather riding. It is an excellent long-distance touring suit. However, I need to point out a recurring issue in warmer climates - particularly when not riding at speeds that foster good ventilation.

The suit is HOT... and STICKY - if you're perspiring - which due to its hotness, is quickly stimulated. Sticky, as in, wet Saran Wrap clinging to your wet skin. Long riding underwear (both legs and sleeves) helps with the stickiness, but then exacerbates the temperature factor by adding additional warmth. Initially, in Chicago, I attributed the heat build-up and sweatiness to the higher humidity, but since my GS has been in Northern and Central CA for the past 13 months, I can tell you that even with the relatively lower levels of humidity, the suit quickly gets too hot and sweaty for me, starting at temps in the 60s, when riding at slower speeds (~<40 MPH). I keep all the vents fully open and cinched, and generally, when temps are about 60F, I ride with only the inner mesh liner zipper closing the jacket and the outer shell zipper wide open. Moisture breathability of the suit is definitely an issue.

Once at highway speeds, though, it dramatically improves and can then - and only then - be considered 4-season riding gear, IMO. But as we all know, we are not always riding at those speeds, for better or worse. In an urban environment with traffic and stop lights? Off-road, when slowly navigating challenging terrain? Forget about it... once temps are above ~60F, IME. YMMV :hide
    Sailorlite and bnsutton like this.
  17. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's funny how different people react to heat and cold. At 60*F, I am wearing a light fleece and seriously considering adding my WarmNSafe electric liner and I am good with this suit into the low 90s where virtually anything is getting too hot.

I agree with everything else you have said long term about this jacket.
    SmittyBlackstone and PRW like this.
  18. PRW

Oddometer:
    I have been accused more than once of being a hot sleeper... :D
  19. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, after my Africa tour, about 6000 km with EG suite around Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania and Senegal, this is my experience with it.

Climate conditions: Absolutely all kind. From freezing -2 at Sierra Nevada, to 45º in Senegal, with 100% humidity. From the hot dessert to terrible tropical storms, rainning so much I could badly see 3 meters away from me.

Road and tracks: From highways with no speed limit, to offroad tracks so bad that my front wheel was damaged.

Riding time: Personal record was about 16hours riding, as I had a problem with passavant in Senegal and had to cross the entire country, from the south Guinea border to the north Mauritania's border, about 730km of roads, tracks, village-crossing

Absolutly waterproof even in tropical storms, or after 6 hours riding under heavy rain. Not a single drop inside the suite.
    Comfort is awesome. All my previous suites had a crease, a bad designed zone or something that scratched me after hours riding. I found EG absolutly perfect about it.
    Heat: Good vent, specially the pants. It's not a summer suite, but it's aceptable and just need a low speed to feel ventilation. Front jacket ventilation is really good. It will be better if you could keep air vents fully open.
    Cold: It's a cold suite. Even with warm clothes (softshell pants & jacket), when it's really cold, you will feel it. Need a proper three layer "mountain" clothes under it.

The perfomance in so different climate conditions has been awesome.

My conclussion: This is, by far, best suite I have ever had. IMHO, it's a 9 over 10 suite. More ventilation will be a plus, and a storm neck will ber a good plus.

Things to improve: some zips are tough to open/close. It will be better to have no so much small pockets but a big one with easy access even with gloves on. Knee protection need better place regulation, as I need to rise up it and it's not easy to do.

Really happy with it. If it's as tough as it seems, will be my suite for years.
  20. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forget a little question... Any advice to wash it? It's covered in red dust. Nice to be at sturbucks story-telling, buy not for going to work.