BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer sold me this 8 oz bottle and it is a waterproofing agent.. Part # 83 19 2 359 102
    It is a pump sprayer and it is made in the US. It works quite well.
    SmittyBlackstone and Steve G. like this.
  2. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of trying this jacket on at my dealer yesterday. Size 54 fit me perfectly, only would like to try a tall size on. I’m admittedly “the princess and the pea” when it comes to good fitting gear and this jacket was the best fitting coat I’ve ever tried on. Now I’m lusting after one, despite the downfalls I’ve read here. Damnit. Lol.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    It isn't all bad. Mine has been dry and performs as advertised.
    Is it a perfect suit? No, but no one suit can do it all although the EG comes darn close without looking like you just came from Mongolia..:umph
    There is always a compromise just like with motorcycles. That's why you really need more then one...:photog
    I just picked up a new Rally suit, as I missed my old one a lot and I got 20% off curtesy of the Mothership for buying a new GSA..
    So I have a blue/gray Power Ranger suit again too....:lol3
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Euro market jackets with their numerical sizing tend to get much better fits then the US style S/M/L/etc. One of the biggest benefits to this jacket compared to something like the Badlands.
  5. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My suit is dry and fits well.
    My only complaint is the wrap around zipper on the jacket (size 56) doesn't match the pants (size 54). The center line of the jacket is off by about 2.5 inches from the CL of the pants.
    Barely noticeable after it is in for a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  6. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    being 6'5" and relatively thin, except for the keg I have for a six pack, nothing else fit me this well. It's heavy for sure
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's odd, I thought BMW used a singular zipper size like most other brands do so you can mismatch sizes.
  8. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Good feedback! How ya been, dude? Have not seen you in a long time. Cheers.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  9. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Hi Flux! :wave
  10. cerv

cerv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forget about the downfalls mentioned here or elsewhere. Not a single mass produced product is perfect and any can fail. With almost one and half year of experience in various weather conditions I am very happy with my EG. It is very obviously not ideal for hot weather city riding but it works very well in many heavy-duty scenarios from pouring rain to hot weather off-roading.
  11. KnucklesInTheWind

KnucklesInTheWind Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ve nailed it! The EG is not ideal for the casual-to-slightly-aggressive off-road rider. I am just shy if 6’1” and 220-ish lbs and I tried mightily to love the EG. It checked all the boxes from a technical review ...however, it is stiff as hell ...bunched up in my elbows at my wrists and the deal killer ...at my neck. I only had that thing on for maybe 5 minutes and my neck was getting raw from the stiffness/roughness. I even walked around the showroom jumping on a couple of bikes, fiddling and pulling, wiggling and moving trying to adjust to it ...versus it to me. Just wasn’t “right” for some reason. Went back and tried on the Rallye jacket again... and aahhh... “that’s better” was the instant thought.

So, fit and body type make all the difference it seems. If I get stuck NEEDING to ride in the rain vs pulling over and letting it pass or putting on the water proof over-jacket then so be it. For me, being comfortable with 95% of the same protection as the EG was a no-brainer.
    How many of us have a pair of shoes/boots we don’t wear (but loved when we bought them) because they are not comfortable? Same deal here. Rallye Suit ROCK ON...!
  12. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    This is one stiff suit! I've only ridden about 6 times in it due to the end of our riding season, otherwise I'm very happy with it so far.

I know people have put this suit in the dryer, on AIR Only setting and let it tumble around to soften it up. Just a thought on my part, the people that have done this, are you the ones having the water leakage issues?
  13. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I air dried my EG a couple of times and it does not leak. One year later it is very soft and compliant. The "problem" is that the armor offers such good coverage that it feels stiff. All of that disappears when on the bike...for me. I also agree that the Rallye is probably better for off road riding.
    Candubrain and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  14. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did air dried mine and not leaking.
    Also it’s stiff in the showroom but gets much better on the bike once you start riding it disappears
    SmittyBlackstone and Candubrain like this.
  15. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Got caught yesterday during my last ride of the year in a thunderstorm for 40Kms. I had 50 Kph cross winds and a driving rain. The suit did it's job, I remained dry despite forgetting to close my right pant leg pocket and the two front jacket pockets. There was nothing inside of any of the pockets, but no water got through to me.

The jacket and pants are now filthy as the roads still had the remnants of the sand and salt put down the week prior. I've got Nikwax ordered from Amazon to wash them before putting them away for the winter.
    SmittyBlackstone, bnsutton and I82l8 like this.
  16. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Nikwax comment triggers a question: should we use a soap (like Nik-wash) or a detergent (like BMW's wash product)? I don't know the chemical or practical differences in the two types of products, but the Nikwax folks seem to be convinced that we should use only a soap product while BMW says detergent.
  17. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    The mildest detergent/soap would be Woolite.... That's what I would use if I washed the suit without Nikwax detergent...
  18. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nikwax says their wash product is soap, not detergent.
  19. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
  20. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My BMW Atlantis suit has a bad mismatch in zipper length. :(