BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Well this thread had caught my curiosity so I was happy to see Bob’s BMW has a 15% off sale. I went to my local dealer who always price matches and I tried on a 54 which is what I wear in a Rally 3 and then the 52. The 52 fit a bit better even with a jacket I usually wear under my Klim Apex when it’s cold. The salesman said he thought they might be on sale so even if it was only 10%, I knew they’d match Bob’s BMW price. Nope, he came back saying all their Enduroguard apparel was 50% off. The jacket was $474.00. All they had was black, but my Apex is black and I can live with that. Sadly they were out of my size for gloves. If any of you are on the fence and live in the Phoenix area, 1/2 off may sway you.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. KnucklesInTheWind

KnucklesInTheWind Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    467BFBB8-F614-4DBE-91F1-31C4478D20E1.png

Whoa...! HK you are the man. Your post popped up while I was in my email on my phone so I called the BMW store and they had my size! Swweeeet! EG Suit was $1754 (w tax) ...but I paid $855 delivered to my door in LA. Killer deal on a very nice suit.
    I had already bought the Rallye 4 and love it but said to my dealer if the Enduro was the same or less I would have bought it. It is stiff as hell but at this price I won’t feel so bad throwing in the wash a couple of times before wearing it to see if that softens it up a good bit.
    Any advice from the anyone here who has “been there/done that” with an EG suit... your advice would be much appreciated.

Again, HikerTrash THANK YOU for the killer heads up! (Feel like I owe you a steak and beer) Merry Christmas!!
  3. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome! Glad I could help and Merry Christmas to you, too. Yeah I bought mine from a RideNow. They must have a nationwide sale. I can see why some folks want to cut the wrist things out. They’re very annoying when putting on and taking off the jacket.
  4. NilesHenry

NilesHenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wait, where is this deal? I did a search but can't find anything that matches what you all are talking about. Is this only for in-stock EnduroGuard?
  5. KnucklesInTheWind

Oddometer:
    At the Chandler, AZ Motorrad dealer. I could be wrong buy it may have only applied to in stock apparel/suits. Carlos in the parts dept said he sold the last EG Suit yesterday. They maybe be clearing out year end items.
  6. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    Yes, limited to stock on hand. They had quite a few sizes in jackets, but no pants and just smaller sized gloves.
  7. NilesHenry

NilesHenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this "Hikertrash" and "Knuckles"- I missed on the jacket size but they still had the right size Enduro gloves for my wife. Quite a bargain.
  8. KnucklesInTheWind

Oddometer:
    +2 on sizing differences between EG and Rallye suits.
    Got my EG Suit delivered yesterday ...well the jacket at least. The poor parts guy at the Chandler AZ dealer who was so helpful mailing me my (55+% OFF! ...sweet) suit apparently packed the wrong pants. He sent Rallye’s instead of EG’s (see pic). I put the pants on (size 54) before noticing they weren’t EG’s and immediately had trouble getting them past my backside. They had these fairly cheapo velcro cinching straps on the belt line and after letting those out they went on on easier ..but not necessarily easy. Once on they were noticeably less roomy than my Rallye Suit (yes I have/wanted both suits). I unzipped the side pockets and that helped quite a bit too. That’s when I looked more closely and discovered they were NOT the EG pants I was expecting.
    All to say, same size (54) on both Rallye pants ...albeit different styles... and they don’t fit the same at all. My 2 month old Rallye 3’s size 54 are super comfortable for my 6’ 1”, 225lb, 46/47 chest, 38 waist. But these other/wrong Rallye pants were at least 1/2 size too small ...maybe even a full size.
    Opinion on the jacket: The EG jacket is more of a body hugging style versus the Rallye and I can see why off-roaders prefer the Rallye. Better ventilation, roomier fit and movement, but not much rain protection without the outer shell/jacket on. I also, concur with the idea that the sleeves on the EG are too long and stiff and can see why some guys (gulp! ...not me) cut the cuffs off.
    Will update on rain protection, ventilation and all-day comfort after 2-3000 miles. Note: Superb quality with some BMW-esque quirks that aren’t deal-killers to me.

Attached Files:

bnsutton and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  9. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another update of
    My EG suit
    Just came back from
    A 7 day ride in Colombia South America. What a ride from paved fantastic roads to unpaved trails and some muddy passes and creek crossings
    Temperatures from mid 40 to 105 all day long up and down the mountains corridors take you from the insane hot valley to the mountains tops at 10000 feet elevation and cold temperatures and some times rain
    The suit did again great
    Good ventilation in hot climates with the front open
    And kept me warm in cold areas as well
    Is amazing how in cold areas always feels a draft on my triceps area
    In the rain I was dry no issues no leaks
    It is a pain to close some of the waterproof zippers in certain areas and for me the most difficult ones are triceps area and back of my pants not to count the pockets in my pants
    My only complaint is the suit material or porosity attracts dust like a magnet oh boy and it’s almost impossible to clean on the road
    Sometimes you looked like you just crossed Mongolia or something like that, same with the pants.
    Also mud sticks really hard to bottom of pants where the “ceramid” Material is and again no wet towel
    Will clean but have to get in shower with pants and rinse and towel
    Hard .
    Once back at home a good washing with BMW detergent cleaned both to almost new look except some stains here and there.
  10. ClosetCaseNerd

ClosetCaseNerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So...apparently there is a new iteration of enduroguard suit, or better stated a new iteration replacement suit, coming? Any details?
  11. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    First I’ve heard of that but will be interested to see what closeouts come on the first iteration and what upgrades they decide to make.
  12. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually met one of the guys ( he is in those promo videos ) who helped develop the EG suit. He was at my dealers 60th anniversary bash when they also revealed the new 1250’s.
    He asked what I’d like to see they’d change and I told him that roomier arm sleeves would be nice, a drink bladder pocket like the Rally suit has would also be helpful, and a stronger hasp on the pants with a beefier zipper would be better. Also the collar on the jacket should be more adjustable with a softer fleece like material added for comfort. He told me that BMW is aware of the arm sleeve issue on the men’s suit as the women’s jacket is roomier there... He made notes so we’ll see what happens next as other people had made similar suggestions at other dealerships he visited.
    SmittyBlackstone and Kmendez like this.
  13. KnucklesInTheWind

Oddometer:
    +1 re: suggestions made. rider1150gsadv nailed it... especially the collar comfort and sleeve room. Only other suggestion I would make is the zippered vents don’t open as well as on the Rallye but that is likely due to the EG’s excellent waterproofing design. Hopefully they don’t let logo/over-branding creep back into the design either.
  14. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got to ride today with my old style but new rally suit. I haven’t been able to wear it yet because EG suit fever but today with no rain in the horizon and gorgeous Florida weather in the mid 60 and lower 70 in the later part of the day I had the chance of wearing it and enjoy. And definitely the rallie so much nicer fitting and softer feeling it’s like wearing-pajamas with built in protectors
    I cannot say ventilation is better or worse because cool temperatures forced me to close vents and zippers
    And it does matches my bike colors perfectly lol
    IMG_5418.jpg
  15. pHudson

pHudson still riding

Oddometer:
    One of the hardest decisions I've had to make was choosing between the EG, which I really wanted, and the newest Rallye. But when I went to buy, after trying on the EG a couple times, I reluctantly went for the Rallye because of what I regarded as superior fit. I'm a thin guy with small biceps, but the EG just didn't feel like it would accommodate a layer or two at the arms. Having spent a couple months with the Rallye, I think it is as close to perfect as you'll find in 2019. Even in the hottest weather I choose it over my Klim Induction. In fact, I feel cool until mid-70s (20s celsius) and often find myself doing up the chest zips til it gets hotter. I usually carry the rain liner in the big back pocket, and haven't used it much--but I'm confident that when it gets cold I'll be prepared. Safety features are first rate, adjustments abound, water bladders are easily attached and used, the material is soft when new and gets better with use, and it looks good. Only downside is that I got the navy and red--with white shoulders: the dirt shows if I spend too much time on rough tracks or dodging puddles.

Another thing that put me off the EG was reading all the comments about leaks. That isn't a worry with the Rallye.
    SmittyBlackstone and McChicken like this.
  16. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got skinny old man arms.....I'm okay with the arm fit there, but I do wish it had a better hasp and wasn't so stiff
  17. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    The stiffness of the suit is inherent to the material they use. It does soften up a bit over time though. The arms are a bit tight for me when I add a electric jacket to the mix. So layering with the right materials is essential when the temps go down. Not that we have much of that down here...:lol3
    Kmendez and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  18. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a EG jacket from an inmate here. What does everybody here do about cleaning and maintaining their suits?
    Use the BMW detergent/waterproofing agent or Nikwax Tech Wash/Waterproofing?
    Thx
  19. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Either or is fine. I used Nikwax to wash the suit and then reapplied the waterproofing stuff from BMW. My suit has so far been waterproof.
    Don't tumble dry!!,but drip dry the suit and apply the waterproofing agent while the suit is still damp for best effectiveness. YMMV
    SmittyBlackstone and I82l8 like this.
  20. McChicken

McChicken n00b

Oddometer:
    You give a heads-up for the Nikwax Tech Wash, and say use the original BMW Waterproofing ( this one ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...Motorcycling-Wear-Aerosol-300ml-/182762763026 ) why not use Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-in / Spray on ? I'm on my way of cleaning my Revit Sand 3