BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had only bought the detergent at first for my other (non waterproof) gear, and when I stopped at my dealer I picked up the waterproofer from them for the EG suit.
    I don't have the part # in front of me but it is a BMW spray on waterproofer...
    McChicken likes this.
  2. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like they don't ship to NA:
    upload_2019-1-18_9-13-20.png

Would this be it -> https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/c...otorcycles-riders-apparel-waterproofing-agent ?
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  3. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW part numbers for EG maintenance are:
    83192359101 Functional Detergent (8 fl. oz.)
    83192359102 Waterproofing Agent (8 fl. oz., pump spray bottle).
    I used these both on my EG jacket but haven't had a chance to check for any change in waterproofness.
    SmittyBlackstone and I82l8 like this.
  4. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used both of those products and my suit works perfectly.
    rider1150gsadv and I82l8 like this.
  5. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those with the EG suit.....

What do you wear for a base layer in summer? I have a pair of LD comfort shorts, but they are not appropriate if you want to remove your trousers in public.

thanks
    brian
  6. KillerD

KillerD BoozeMagician

Oddometer:
    I wear compression shorts and say f it to modesty if I need to change. Id like to think that my spandexed man-butt wont be the most offensive thing anyone sees during the course of their day....
  7. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Aerostich riding shorts. Just like bike shorts.
    Candubrain likes this.
  8. Ashalina

Ashalina .

Oddometer:
    I am not comfortable riding with anything under my riding pants other than a seamless garment like LD comfort shorts or other compression seamless under garments.

I am not socially comfortable with removing my trousers in public with that type of form fitting garment on so I never remove the riding pants in public.

Win, win. I'm comfortable while riding. Folks around me are comfortable when I'm not.

As I think about it, there are so few times that I'd have my riding pants on where I'd take them off before I end my riding day that I don't think it is an issue for me. Many years ago I used to wear shorts under my riding pants but it was too many layers for me and I realized I rarely ever was going to take off the riding pants in public anyway.
    Candubrain, TuonoBiker and RoundTrip like this.
  9. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sort of with you on this - very few times my wife and I change out of riding gear pants during the travel day. Sometimes, if we are going to take an extended lunch or coffee stop in the afternoon and walk around a town for a couple hours, we'll change pants. If this is the case, its easy enough to find a place to park that can give enough privacy for the 30 seconds it takes to go from riding pants to shorts.

I'm an Exofficio Boxer-briefs rider, which are modest enough for the swap. But I don't do it parked along "Main Street"... My wife gets away quite easily with gym shorts underneath and can still be modest about things.

But, for 90% of the time, we just don the riding gear.
  10. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    Those with both the rally and EG suits, do you find the EG to be larger or smaller then the Rally ? I tried on a Rally 3 jacket at the shop the other day in size 52 and fit pretty well, then tried on the 52 rally pants and they where a little loose at the waist but good everywhere else, Then I tried on the 50 and they fit the waist perfect, but the Thigh area was pretty snug. Are the EG pants more baggy then the Rally3? Also, has anyone taken the armor out of the old rally2 or Comfort shell suits to compare to the amount of coverage there is, if any differences between the two other then the color change from orange to (I guess its yellow now? ) The orange armor really wraps around your elbows and knees.
  11. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moto-Skiveez. I very rarely ever take the pants off, but if I did, who cares? I wouldn't be walking around like that.
    Candubrain likes this.
  12. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bmw summer underwear long pants and long sleeve shirts
    The best
    SmittyBlackstone, PRW and Candubrain like this.
  13. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 And also the regular BMW underwear is great when the weather is cooler. IMO, you always need long sleeved underwear with the EG, to avoid sweaty skin sticking against the liner.
  14. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Long sleeves for me in any suit I’m wearing not just the EG.. :ricky
    SmittyBlackstone, JR356 and PRW like this.
  15. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    so here is the old orange next to the new yellow, Right arm for both. I got the EG Jacket in 54, should layer well, but with just a Tshirt on its a little loose (6', 40'' chest fluctuate from 180 to 195 Pounds. Jacket is stiff, but only area that bothers me a little is inside of my elbow. The stiffness of the jacket bunches up a little uncomfortably there when closing your arm. Sins you ride with your arm mostly ex 20190228_185904.jpg tended, I don't see it being a problem when riding though.
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Responding to an older question above, but don’t use the Nikwax Tx.Direct wash-in unless you want the inner mesh lining to be also water resistant! That’s why the bottle specifically notes it’s for unlined waterproof garments. To renew external DWR, use one of the spray on type - I think the BMW one is like NikWax’s product in that it’s free of a pretty nasty chemical many other DWRs use. I use 303 fabric guard personally, which is toxic as hell but works great.
    Candubrain and I82l8 like this.
  17. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The BMW products must be worse for nasties as it's not approved for sale in Canada, yet NikWax is
  18. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I know this isn't particularly related to this thread's topic, but whatever happened to good old Scotchguard? It's never mentioned here for motorcycle gear anymore. I do sort of doubt that the nikwax, etc., manufacturers have better chemists than Scotchguard's 3M. What are the backpackers using these days?
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think Scotchguard plays well with breathable membrane products. Most of the backpackers are using 303, NikWax, or Grangers from what I saw when I did my research.

Also, 3M had multiple years of market lapse with ScotchGuard when they were trying to figure out a less toxic formulation that wouldn't poison the environment.
    Sailorlite and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  20. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that I've spent a full year using my BMW Enduroguard jacket, I can offer an unbiased view on things, with direct comparison to my other non leather jackets.
    My other non leather jackets:
    BMW Streetguard
    Motoport 1000 Gortex
    Tourmaster Transition 4
    Belstaff Trailmaster
    BMW Savanna 2

The good:

1] Very well made.
    2] Genuinely water proof, on the outside aspect layer which I prefer.
    3] Extremely heavy duty in every regard, I'm sure I would suffer no road rash in a long slide, and armour is well placed and superior

The bad:

1] Very stiff
    2] Very heavy
    3] Inferior collar design, especially compared to BMW Streetguard. It is non adjustable, and the course gortex/sholler fabric goes right to top, rough on skin. BMW Streetguard has very comfortable soft leatherette, and fully adjustable with large velcro flap. As well, the extremely stiff material actually hooks up on any of my 5 helmets, to the point I'm not able to turn my head left or right, even with collar snapped up tight.
    4] Inferior design cuffs. Small velcro strap only, which is not up to the very stiff fabric of the jacket, at keeping the cuff closed. Plus, the inner seal with it's zipper, instead of the Streetguard's stretch ring to seal, the zipper digs into the wrist. After 4 hours, it gets to you, end up zipping it wide open, rendering it's use and function to nil. As well, it's sheer size and bulk at the end of the cuff eliminate all but the very largest gauntlet sized glove that will go over the end of the cuff. In summer, small gloves to slide the cuff easily, but because of the tiny velcro strap, it always end up flapping open in the wind.
    5] Because the jacket has a built in [sort of] thermal liner, which is not up to the task to keep you warm in cool weather. Which normally is not a problem. But inserting even a light fleece jacket underneath for warmth does not work for this jack, as the shoulder area where your upper arm goes through, is not big enough, not enough room, for extra material. So tight in my case, that it actually starts cutting the blood circulation off on my arms. It clearly is NOT a winter jacket because of this inability to layer up underneath the jacket. I purposefully ordered as size up, in fact the biggest size available at the time to avoid this, but was not enough. Summer performance I will rate it as just ok to good. It's vents do not open as well as any of my other jackets, so stiff the material is. It's weight conspires to not allow venting of the shoulder area or the back, it in fact seals any ventilation from 'passing through' to clear off perspiration. In enduro, or offroad riding, it's a real cooker because of its weight, and incapability to vent. Only when highway speed street riding, without a 'windshield equipped bike', to the vents become workable. It's stiffness works against it when manipulating a bike over rough single track.

Impression:

I should have purchased the BMW Streetguard Long, which offers the main aspects I was looking for, mainly surface 1 water proof barrier, superior quality material and armour. It's a better jacket in every manner than the Enduroguard, except if I was attacked by a grizzly bear, where the sheer tank like structure of the Enduroguard would virtually guard my from serious harm. There is indeed a case to be made here, that a motorcycle can be made "too" heavy duty. IMO, this is the case here. I will end up keeping it, but it will be a 2 season jacket for me in the PNW, summer and fall.