BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same experience when I tried the jacket on (in correct size and short length). Spent over 30 minutes in it in the store, sat on the bikes etc., and decided against it. Purchased the latest Rallye Pro suit instead. It's much cooler, softer, lighter, can be easily layered under, and is perfect for my 3-season riding here in PNW. Spent 3+ weeks in it on an Alaska trip, and am very happy.
    SmittyBlackstone and Steve G. like this.
  2. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    StreetGuard suit is no longer in BMW's catalogs. I had an SG jacket for a while but replaced it with the EnduroGuard jacket and am generally pleased with it.
    Steve G. likes this.
  3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. A year ago, when I ordered my Enduroguard, I could have ordered a Streetguard or a Streetguard Long. A shame, a great jacket.
    Alas, my 1st full off-road run this year I’ll not wear the EG, it will be my trusty Savanna 2.
  4. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same tight arm issue. So I sold my size 54 and bought a size 56. The sleeve fit is better. I can wear a W&S gen4 heated jacket liner instead of having to wear a heated vest(stitch Kanetsu).

The new issue is the 56 jacket won't full zip to the 54 pants correctly. The jacket front zipper is offset to the left side. I wish there was an offset zipper device for this. It is annoying.

I like the circumferential zipper. It was great when everything lined up.
    Steve G. and Fosters like this.
  5. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden in warm or summer temperatures yet, but as far as winter warmth it works for me.

I'm normally a cold person, I've been riding in +3C damp weather with only a thin merino wool base layer, top and bottom, and a long sleeve cotton T over that. No issues riding for 4 hrs like this. I'm on a R1200GS Adv.

Little disappointed to read that the suit doesn't vent well in summer.....I don't know what the Mrs will say if I buy another suit just for summer....
    Steve G. and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    I should clarify that I found the venting behind my 08 GSA windscreen not very good. On my other bikes with no fairing, ok it vents good.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Venting depends on your bike and I ride without the windshield at times so the Enduroguard vents plenty with all the vents zipped open.
    I must admit however that the Rally is a more comfortable suit to wear and vents better but on a long trip I'd be hard pressed to pick that one over the Enduroguard. YMMV :ricky

Edit: I do wear a Buff gaiter around my neck to deal with the collar and have no probs there..
  8. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Yes, I bought one of those fleece neck gaiters to use when using the Enduroguard.
  9. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    I bought a Nike brand Dry Element half zip long sleeved shirt for a summer base layer and its collar is high enough to keep the collar of the jacket from being a discomfort (like others, the collar was hitting my adams apple causing discomfort). Also makes getting the jacket on and off easier. I got the 54 Jacket as to be able to get a heated layer on, Pants on the other hand at size 50 will really only allow room for a thin winter layer, or a thin summer Dry layer. Pants fabric feels durable as well as stretches well for range of movement(kinda like skinny jeans that stretch as you move). Only zips to allow the pants to attach to the jacket that work are the Shorter zips, and not the full wrap rounds as the jacket is off center and about 3'' of zipper still remaining on the jacket when I did attempt it.

Well as I am writing this, I went ahead and put on my heated pant layer then put on the EG pants and it worked out, snug but nothing horrible. For reference I am 6' around 185 pounds, 40'' chest, 32x32 jean size, 23" thighs and pretty happy with the mix match sizing of pants/jacket I went with.

I am looking to get the Heat Out long johns at cycle gear for my summer base layer and I think ill be set to go.
    SmittyBlackstone and Steve G. like this.
  10. SpiceWeasel

SpiceWeasel Living an ongoing adventure, all about the ride..

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experiences to share about it since then?
    I was interested in it.. not that I can find anywhere to buy it in Australia.. but that's another issue.
  11. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    My neck liner is far more comfortable than the one on my Rev'it Defender jacket. Boy, if you have any stubble the collar just grabs the hair and tugs.

My Enduroguard reflective striping is peeling away and I'm not sure if its a warranty issue. Unfortunately it appears BMW Motorcycles of Countryside in Illinois where I bought the suit is closed. Not sure who to call about this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The suit has two years of warranty and any dealer should be able to help you out regardless where you bought it specially when your dealer closed its doors. So if you have the receipt and own it less than two years you should be good.
    I just had my first warranty claim (boots) on apparel from BMW in 15 years and the whole affair was painless and I was allowed to upgrade to different boots and all in well so far. YMMV
    RoundTrip and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  13. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This :nod:nod If you bought it from a BMW dealer it may already be in the system and you may not even need your receipt.
  14. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I disagree on the summer venting
    It works great
    I had used it in Colombia tropical climate and it worked as intended
    Of course if you are not moving cannot vent
    But when moving it works but when 100 plus degrees is difficult to feel air moving but you don’t feel overheated
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really depends on a whole variety of factors - what's the windflow like on your bike, how hot & humid is it, how sunny is it (esp if you have the black one), what do you have on underneath, etc etc. Also, I think a number of the smaller vents need the jacket to not be too loose, since they will fold partially closed, even with the snaps meant to help keep them open otherwise.

I found the black jacket to have insufficient venting for the specific bike I had it on, in peak VA humidity. Your mileage may widely vary.
  16. Ashalina

Ashalina .

Oddometer:
    I think it also depends on whether you put a premium on having the shell of the jacket (or suit) be waterproof or if you put a higher premium on venting.

For a suit with waterproofing in the shell the Enduroguard breathes well. However, like all shells which will keep water out they do give up airflow. The more openings you have for air, the more openings you have for water. For those who put a premium on making the shell waterproof you will likely find the Enduroguard breathes quite well for a jacket with a waterproof shell and will not find many, if any that breather better when comparing the Enduroguard to other garments with a waterproof shell.

When compared to a suit like the Rallye which does not offer waterproofing in the shell but by adding a layer the Enduroguard does not breath as well. For those who put a premium on ventilation it is not likely they would ever be happy with any/most garments which are waterproof in the shell. They likely need a layered approach to their riding gear.

If I could take the protection and venting of the Klim Badlands without the bulk I'd like it. I love the light feeling of the Klim Latitude but want more armor. I love the light feeling of the Rallye but have been caught way too many times in between wet and dry where I have to stop and try to get on a layer or rain suit in the rain to want a layered approach. I love my StreetGuard 4 suit in all seasons except in the hottest of the hot when I could use more air coming in and heat going out. I like my Rev'It Poseidon nearly as much as my SG4 suit but not as much. There are a handful of other suits out there which have some features or benefits I like better than the Enduroguard but thus far, the Enduroguard is the best balance of very good armor, warm enough in the cold, cool enough in the hot, abrasion resistance and fit.

I do think it is possible to get a bit more airflow in some of the suits with a waterproof shell but they will, like the Klim Latitude also tend to have less armor and the material is less abrasion resistant. There is always a trade off.
  17. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    It's always about context. I ride a BMW GSA with pretty good wind protection in AZ where we get weather from below freezing in the high north to 114*F in the southern deserts. The one caveat is that I don't see too much high humidity. I am a sport touring rider and don't go offroad except when I miss a turn :-). If you are looking for the unicorn jacket, this isn't it. If you are looking for a jacket with a remarkably wide comfort range then stay tuned.

- All of the materials and workmanship are top quality. Fittings fit, armor is everywhere, sewing is top notch.
    - My jacket is completely rain proof, no leaks anywhere, ever. Some have had leak failures but those were early release and replaced under warranty. Mine has been flawless in wet weather.
    - Venting is actually very good. In hot weather the vents don't "feel" like they are working but that is because they are moving hot air over your body. If you keep them open in cold weather, you will definitely notice a major difference.
    - Breathability is just short of incredible. The Schoeller c_change membrane is a remarkable invention. I used it on my prior ComfortShell suit and it was a major factor in deciding to buy the EnduroGuard. It's hard to describe, but it just works.
    - Inner sleeve cuffs. I'm not a fan but I have learned to live with them. Better in cold weather than hot.
    - Collar. Big and I like it that way. In the summer it lets more air through and in the winter it is nice to be able to layer or use a buff. It is stiff and will remain that way because there is a rain cover stuffed inside. I don't find it to be an issue and don't notice it when riding.
    - Speaking of stiff, mine has softened with use to where it is truly a soft fabric. Of course the size of the armor means you can't fold it like a t-shirt.
    - Heavy, holy crap heavy but it's all armor and I really don't notice it on the bike.

Temperature zones are extremely subjective. I find this jacket good to go for temps down as low as I am willing to ride in all the way to well over 100*. I don't like to be cold so it requires layering to keep me warm below 60* and frankly, everything I have ever ridden in is miserable above 95*. Because it will work in those temps and wet and dry conditions it is my primary touring and cool/cold weather jacket. I use it every time I can. BUT, when it gets really hot and it's just a day ride where I can forecast conditions, I must admit that my Rallye is a better choice for me on those days.
    SmittyBlackstone and stegs like this.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it depends again. Most non-mesh textile suits are made with a nylon shell that has an inner polyurethane layer, which is actually not very breathable at all. Of course a suit made mainly of mesh (or a textile mix like the wool/nylon blend of the Rallye) is going to flow more air.

WRT c_change; it's ok as a membrane but has been superseded in all areas of performance by newer developments. scholler developed it quite a few years ago, and while the pore movement part is pretty cool (and helps when it gets colder), new membranes from eVent/Toray/Gore/Sympatex all out perform it depending on what you prioritize.

Last year I had the opportunity to cycle through a wide variety of laminated waterproof jackets. I tested the following, with the membrane used in parens:

-EnduroGuard (c_change)
    -Spidi Globetracker (Toray Dermizax NX)
    -Klim Badlands (Gore Pro)
    -Aether Expedition (??? unreported)
    -Klim Latitude (Gore Pro again, older model)

Of them all, I got hot sitting in all of them with the vents closed in a climate controlled 72f house; except the Spidi. I think that the heavy face fabric on the EG prevents the membrane from working to its maximum potential (while of course provided excellent abrasion resistance). If you go look at backpacking publications, you'll see that the face fabric the membrane is laminated to is just as important as the membrane when it comes to breathability.

edit: the sas-tec BMW uses has the best coverage of any of those though, without question. It's not as good of a material from a comfort perspective as the newest Knox Microlock, but BMW did spec huge coverage.
  19. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Anyone find a hydration bladder that works with the EGs rear jacket pocket? Im looking to avoid going the backpack route.
  20. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    I would think some of the Camelback bladders might go in there sideways.