BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. NilesHenry

NilesHenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wife and I each have the EnduroGuard suit. Really like it. BUT, at 1st, neither of us were too wild about it. Very stiff and tight feeling. However, after a couple thousand miles, we are both finding them to be great suits and actually very comfortable (almost stretchy in knees, elbows and other joint areas). The only complaint we have after riding in them now for about 3k miles, is that the collar is still stiff if fully cinched up. Instead, of trying to zip and snap it all of the way up for cold or rain, we just use a Rukka neck gaiter (Gore-Tex) over the outside - that combination is very warm and dry. Otherwise, with the neck open coat is great. With all coat and pant vents open, suit seems to vent very well. I also had an Airflow jacket for summer and a StreetGuard for winter - the EnduroGuard blends the 2 jackets very well. If you can get your size, give it time to break in and you will most likely be very happy with it - for multi day touring in variable weather, I think it is a perfect choice.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's actually literally stretchy in those areas ;). The outer material in non-impact areas is a blend that incorporates a few % of stretch fibers for flexibility.

It was kind of interesting seeing a ~80% nylon/15% poly/5% stretch (lycra?) fabric blend on the materials label.
  3. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well today was an eye opener and gave me a full understanding how the BMW fabric works....aka like pine cones.

In a previous post I mentioned how just a merino wool base layer with a cotton long sleeve top is all I needed with the EG suit in drizzly +3C temps for a 4 hr ride.

Today it was sunny +12C, but windy, I wore the exact same garments beneath and was on the cool side, not uncomfortably cool, but I could feel the difference. I'm assuming that at 12C the garment's fabric starts to open up and breath resulting in me feeling it.

brian
  4. bgspltr

bgspltr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my EG suit, pants, and gloves now for over a year, I've got over 15,000 miles on the combo, mostly on a K1600GT, but recently about 1,400 miles on a R1250GSA. I do not yet have any experience on unpaved roads, not sure that's relevant for evaluating this gear though.

Here are some of my personal observations:
    • Quality of the construction is excellent. I've had zero issues with stitching, etc.
    • Hot weather comfort:
      • Temps up to mid 70s I'm comfortable with no vents open. I start unzipping once temps hit the mid to high 70s. I can leave the vents open when temps start dropping, once they get to the mid 60s I find I want to zip them closed.
      • Venting is not an issue. Here in the Sacramento area in the summer we routinely have triple digits temperatures...
        • for rides longer than 30 minutes (most of my rides are over 200 miles) I've got a cooling vest — when using the vest, I only open the sleeve and front torso vents, and have no issues with heat so long as I'm in motion — it feels like I have an air conditioning blasting my torso. If I don't have the cooling vest on then the front double zipper cooling vent is absolutely amazing.
        • Temps over mid 70s and I also open the vents on the pants.
      • Gloves — the layered gloves are very clever, I really like the design. I switch over to summer gloves though once the temps get into the low 80s.
      • I have the black color, I'm pretty sure I'm absorbing some heat from the sun, but between the vents, and the cooling vest when it's crazy hot, I don't regret my color choice.
    • Waterproofness — only a few opportunities to test this, but an extended heavy rainstorm at highway and city speeds had no water penetrate.
    • Warmth in cold weather — depends of course on the bike and how much wind hits the body, but with my two bikes, I'm good into the mid-50s for an extended duration... colder than that and I've got a Warm & Safe heated shirt that works really well — no bulk, and plenty of heat into the 30s (probably colder but haven't had an opportunity yet to ride in colder temps). I don't wear any other layers other than the heated shirt, there is minimal cold air flow into the jacket.
    • Comfort — I'm very satisfied. I've not had any issues with the collar (I find it very comfortable), and I wonder if BMW's build consistency isn't very good, based on some of the complaints noted on this thread. The suit is very heavy, but wearing it I don't feel that at all. The material has softened up and I don't have an issue with bulk or stiffness.
    • Armor — haven't had to test it, hope to not, but it's the best I've personally worn. Top quality materials, etc.
    • Pockets — adequate. Waterproof. The front outside pockets are a bit tight to get into, but it's not been more than a minor irritation.
    • Fit and appearance — I like the snug European style fit. I'm 6'2", about 200 lbs, it's really a perfect fit for me.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    This is why I bought an Aerostich R3. When I have a problem, I can call the manufacturer or just email the owner, Andy Goldfine, and get a reply back within a day. Can't beat Made in America.
  6. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was convinced that I wanted a new Rallye Suit (although not happy with either color) until I found a dealer with a full Enduroguard suit on clearance for @$1,000. I tried on most of the Klim line, Revit and BMW over the past few weeks and decided to give the Enduroguard a try. I think with the steep discount it was worth it.

I love the fit and functionality of the Jacket. One of my favorite suits from the past was a Comfortshell with the C Change membrane. I think that this jacket could last easily 100,000 miles if taken care of.

So- I have read about softening up the suit by running it through a tumble dry cycle. However the suit states to not do this.

What does the collective wisdom state? Who has done it with no issue? Who has had an issue from doing it?
  7. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think it needs any de-stiffening. In a few hundred miles it will feel fine.
    SmittyBlackstone and SidewinderX like this.
  8. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought an EG suit. It was rather stiff until I drove it trough a nice downpour. This really softens it up. The arms are snug but stretch a bit over time and I love the "sleeves" no water what so ever. The knee armor is very large but fully adjustable so take your time and you'll find the correct position. Up to now it's the most comfortable suit I've owned. Previous one was the new streetguard.
    SmittyBlackstone and SidewinderX like this.
  9. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Mine took about 3 months of use before it got softer.

Today I washed it for the first time as it was extremely dirty from gravel running. The armour is almost impossible to remove, the openings especially for the back is so small you have to roll the armour into itself to squeeze it out. I dread putting it back together especially the elbow armour.

My only beef about this jacket is how small the pocket openings are (just like the armour) I don't use the jacket or pant pockets as they are too small to fit my hand into.

Rants finished.....beer time
    brian
  10. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    I found the receipt and the warranty covered the jacket. I had my local dealership handle the warranty issue; they were very nice about it (Long Beach). Very nice result. Still not sure why that reflective piping was peeling.
  11. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode @300 miles in my new Enduroguard yesterday. Temps ranged from 75 degrees down to 52 degrees in the mountains.

This is the best suit that I have ever owned. It’s very deceiving from hanging on the rack. It fits like a glove and you truly don’t feel the weight of the suit.

I will ride @500- 550 miles today and finishing the first two sections of the MABDR. That should be a good test for me.

The armor placement is key in these since the armor is so significant. It’s a two edged sword. We want beefy armor, but it has to be placed correctly or i could see why it would drive you crazy.
    When I received my jacket, the shoulder armor was inserted backwards. I’m convinced this is why the dealer had their suits on clearance and couldn’t sell them.
    I82l8 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another update after 2500 kilometers of tropical Colombian riding
    3 days of torrential rain
    On the second day after 8 hours of riding in the rain on the worst road ever and muddy condition on very hot tropical 99 and 100 degrees plus 100 plus % humidity
    When I got to the hotel I was soaked inside but never felt wet so most likely was perspiration because humidity and all vents closed
    Except the cuffs of the jacket were soaked and dampened plus jacket was so heavy because all the water absorbed. My passport and money in the inside pocket was soaked and warped. Lessons learned to keep these documents on a plastic zipper bag next time
    Jacket dried overnight with no issues
    Pants were dried but felt some wetness maybe perspiration also in crotch area but never felt I was wet.

I really think this suit is amazing

The enduroguard gloves were completely soaked and my fingers felt wet and soaked and wrinkled but better than with other gloves but these gloves takes long time to dry.

Overall I am still happy with this suit
  13. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing with waterproof/resistant gear in humid conditions is that they get wet from the inside out due to perspiration and it is often mistaken for leaky gear....
    SmittyBlackstone, PRW and Kmendez like this.
  14. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0789.jpg IMG_0791.jpg IMG_0792.jpg Very pleased with my suit, finally well broken in and not restrictive, but I did notice my one knee pad was shifting out of place.

I turned the pants inside out and saw 1/2 the stitching that holds that knee pad in place had separated. Looking closer I found a few more areas, one around the pant pulls and another at the back of the right thigh vent.

Sent an email to my dealer today with the photos, and awaiting a reply.

For those that had a warranty claim, did they need your pants first before ordering a replacement?
  15. Ashalina

Ashalina .

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly I did need to turn in the garment being replaced when the replacement garment arrived. It was a few years ago on a different suit that I has a warranty claim but if my memory is correct the inspected the garment, contacted BMW, BMW approved the claim and a replacement item was ordered. When the replacement item was in I handed over the damaged item and walked (rode) away with the new.
    Candubrain and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I returned my first jacket for some minor issues. The dealer ordered it and we traded when it came in. Just like a parts warranty on your bike, you are not expected to go without while it is ordered.
    Candubrain and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  17. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Well
    After multiple emails and phone calls (starting on July 17th) they have finally ordered me a replacement. the problem was every time I called or emailed it was like the first time, they weren't aware, didn't get the email, etc.

On the last call, I politely blew a gasket over their incompetence, and behold action was taken.
    Now I'm just waiting for delivery from the Fatherland.
  18. LopezXC

LopezXC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, after only one year, my EG suite is not longer "waterproof". I have some water leaking in the arms. Time for a warranty claim... Let's see how BMW performs, but I've lost my faith in the suite.
  19. Huckwheat

Huckwheat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My jacket and my pants are leaking as well. Out of warranty. Will re-treat them, but I too have lost faith. Pretty bummed.
  20. tupdegrove

tupdegrove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Owner of new EG suit. Been commuting for years (now Ninja 650r with tall windshield) but never had armor suit. (Co-worker was broadsided by car on 1200 GS and unnamed armor left him scratchless. Time for me to upgrade!) Love the fit and large armor. Bob's BMW has in-stock EG at 25% off. Local dealer matched price.

Jacket: 5'9", 175 lbs, size 50 (grey) has enough room for base layer and heated liner. In short-sleeve shirt at 45-60 deg F, feel cold on biceps like others have mentioned. Didn't feel cold with heated liner turned off or wearing bicycle arm warmers. At 75-80 deg F with all vents open, was hot when <= 40 mph. Okay at highway speeds with sleeve cuffs and all other zippers open.

Pants: 30" inseam, 34 waist, size 52 which allows them to be worn as overpants (dress work pants or jeans). Use bicycle velco strap on underpants to keep pants down by ankle when slipping on EG pants. Tight fit but not uncomfortable. Not too baggy when wearing EG directly (not overpants). Enough elastic at waist for both setups. At 45-60 deg F with 4 pants zippers open, felt no cold with underpants at <= 40 mph which means no airflow. Didn't try at highway speeds.

For warmer temps, have new Rev'it Tornado 2 suit which has tons of mesh. Jacket and pants both large. Again can wear as overpants. Jacket could be slightly smaller.