BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I gather, wash the suit with tech wash and treat with Nikwax TX direct for improved waterproofness..
    IMHO, using regular laundry detergent is what kills the fabric's waterproofing as it doesn't rinse out cleanly enough...YMMV
    tupdegrove and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    None of that affects the waterproofing, which is provided by the membrane laminated between the layers. "normal" detergent can clog the pores of ePFTE membranes of older designs, which reduce the ability for moisture to transpire through from the inside out, and also cover up the external factory applied DWR. Likewise, DWR attempts to prevent "wetting out" of the face fabric to allow moisture to get out.

Failures of waterproofing on a suit like this would likely be from seam tape failures, water-resistant zippers being overwhelmed (they're not using fully waterproof zippers on this suit, hence the flaps/gutters), or water pressure potentially overcoming the membrane's rating.
  3. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    ^ I see.. Well so far my suit is still dry for now... Keeping fingers crossed..:patch
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The little BMW manual that comes with the EG says to wash with their Functional Detergent 83.19.2.359.101 (and then spray on Waterproofing Agent 83.19.2.359.102). Nikwax says one of the benefits of their Tech Wash product is that it's a soap, not a detergent. So you might conclude that the Tech soap product is not recommended for the EG.

Here's a theory I haven't seen mentioned: the gray EG fabric is more waterproof than the black fabric. In my case I replaced black with gray under BMW warranty but haven't had a chance to definitively test the gray. The black was not waterproof and couldn't be made so with the BMW products above.
  5. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting how fit is different for each of us. I am 5'8" and weight 180 and wear a 54 jacket.
    tupdegrove likes this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    The soap based Nikwax rinses out quit well when you use an extra rinse cycle. I agree that a detergent leaves no residue and that BMW wants you to use their stuff, but having used Nikwax for many years on much of my outdoor gear I'm quite pleased with the results including previous BMW gear. YMMV

PS: I have the grey EG suit, maybe your theory about the black fabric has merit, as so far in 18 months my suit hasn't leaked...yet...:D
  7. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    I have had my black jacket since they first came out. No leaks. Washed with Nikwax products. No issues.
  8. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've washed mine twice with Nikwax, but haven't re-applied the TX. No issues riding in hard rain for hours. Very happy with that aspect of the suit
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now owned 1.5 years, i've had a chance to use my EG through every form of weather. My experiences, aligned alongside the jacket's purchase price, has left me disappointed. Disappointed not in the jacket, but in me, for choosing the jacket without the usual research I do, 'crazy ass research' as my sister calls it, on most every product I end up buying. i'm sure this very well made product works great for many, but it's not working for me, and i'll end up selling it.
    For me, it's not a comfortable jacket.
    It's collar is abrasive on the neck, it's stiffness refuses to soften up even after 1+ full riding season. It's so stiff, it hooks on the bottom of the helmet, often preventing me the ability to shoulder check on the street. I almost always use my fleece neck gaiter, with top neck fastener unfastened, to prevent rub rash.
    It's not a warm jacket in temps below 55F. As it does not have any kind of warmth liner built in or zip in, i have to use one of my several liners made for warmth, including a heated vest with heated collar. The problem with this is, the cut of this jacket around the shoulder, upper arm, and underarm, is a tight fit, for me anyways, with my big hockey shoulders, and allows a minimum layering without literally cutting off blood circulation to the arms. This is really the kicker for me, as with a jacket of this price, i should have taken notice of the fact that there was no warmth liner engineered into this format. It's velcro wrist strap is very inadequate, comes loose often. It should be 4 times the width, much like my 15 year old BMW Streetguard which still hooks up without coming loose.

It does have very good points. It is still completely waterproof, and it's waterproof aspect on surface 1 [outside surface] is still of the highest priority for me with its eventual replacement. It is very well made, and it's fabric and armour are of such a heavy duty nature and build quality that I have no doubt will serve me well should I drop my bike at speed on the street, and still be in perfectly good shape.

Alas it wasn't meant to be. Another learning experience that I really learned from.
  10. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0188.JPG

Finally got my Alpinestar air vest working with my enduroguard jacket

Bought the racing unit
    Had the sleeve unit with the lights from one of the jackets removed and attached to top of the vest as seen in picture.

I wore the combo air vest jacket on my last 3 k miles trip from Fort Lauderdale to Pennsylvania.
    It’s a snug fit without removing endutoguard jacket back protector but not uncomfortable.
    Heat wise wasn’t any worse than without it (airvest)
    The beauty is when off road can disconnect air vest but open front Velcro’s so bags don’t deploy in case of minor fall.
    Also you can switch programs from street to racing with the help of computer
    With the racing algorithm bags can deploy two times
    With street only once but also protected against rear impacts in case someone rear ended you on a stop sign etc
    Overall very happy with setup I can wear the air vest with my enduroguard and rallie jacket
    View attachment 1933657 View attachment 1933656
    Valentino likes this.
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good set-up. :thumbup Your attachments however give me a error code.....
  12. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0389.JPG
  13. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are the other two pics
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  14. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best suit I have ever owned!!
    I82l8 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I need to repair my enduroguard pants. I used them with my Husky (wrong decision) and I burned them around the inner part of the right ankle. They were too close to the exhaust collector.
    Since the hole is quite big, I do need to use some fabric. I guess it’s going to be quite difficult to get schoeller dynatec fabric.
    Taking them to the dealer seems a waste of time.
    What would you recommend?
    Thanks!

IMG_3295.JPG
  16. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    SmittyBlackstone and toramorgan like this.
  17. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nickhob.
    I totally agree. It’s easy to buy a piece of Cordura 1000d but I can’t find Schoeller’s fabric.
  18. mt65

mt65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could someone please tell me how these fit length wise compared to other BMW pants? I think I remember trying these on and they seemed short.

Thanks!
  19. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    Unless you want to buy a couple of thousand yards I don't think Schoeller is going to open an account for you. As @Nickhob said, a piece of black cordura in that spot will do the job.
    SmittyBlackstone and toramorgan like this.
  20. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about a patch of leather similar to what is above the hole?

I"m wearing a 106 size trouser and jacket, with 36" arms and legs. Length is perfect

Side note, my dealer replaced my trousers as there were some quality control issues (few threads back)
    All is good again
    brian