BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you mean you're wearing both the Tech-Air vest and the jacket's regular back protector? If so, I'm sure you're supposed to wear the Tech-Air vest alone, without any additional back or chest protection. (An additional back protector would restrict the airbag's inflation.) Check out the Tech-Air's instruction manual.

Please ignore this comment if I've misunderstood your post!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No you are correct in the sense that I am doing wrong
    The reason I left The protector there was in case I wanted to wear the jacket during this trip without the air vest in case I was uncomfortable or too hot etc and I did not want to have to stop and put the protector in the jacket
    All I had to do was take off the airvest and keep riding
    But you are correct
    Thanks
  3. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh, NP3 protectors. New formulation, or is that what they're calling the layered back protector?
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually didn't think that a major redesign was forthcoming after BMW spent a fortune on the original Enduroguard suit.. Even after talking to the guy that helped design that suit at 441 Cycle shop last year. JMHO of course..
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldnt expect one for a while. How long was the rallye 3 around before the latest one got released? 7 years?
  7. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was expecting some few modifications
    And maybe some new colors and designs
    Also pants to match the light jackets
    Etc
  8. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Yes that would have been nice. I mentioned a pocket in the back for a drink bladder like the Rally jacket has... I guess it’s too much effort so I may get my sewing kit out.. LOL!
    Kmendez likes this.
  9. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like an unlined version for really hot weather use. Other than that, mine is peachy keen.
  10. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like a waterproof one.
  11. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    25,000 Kms and in some good downpours I have not experienced water ingress. I have washed my suit twice with Nikwax as I believe this is imperative to keep the pores clean so it won't leak.
  12. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I have now crash tested my EG. On the plus side, it performed beautifully and requires no repairs.

A van tried an illegal u-turn as I mistakenly tried to go around him on my track bike (gsxr, last ride before winter, doh). The initial hard contact was mostly with his left front tire, a glancing blow at maybe 25 mph. I launched off the bike as it went down on the left side and rolled at least twice, ending up on my back on a grass median (luckily the curb there is sloped). Helmet never touched the ground. Neck, collarbones and back ok.

My grey EG has a dozen or so diagonal dark skid marks across the back, probably from the initial hard contact with the pavement before I started rolling. Those will probably wash out for the most part. No other damage to the suit, even on the knees and elbows. I think the right knee and foot hit his tire pretty hard and possibly also hit the right clipon as I ejected. The right lower leg snaps were both undone at the end of the crash, which was the only disappointing thing about the suit's performance. My right knee has a large tender spot inside of the kneecap, both above and below at its largest (subsiding now a week later), and my right foot (alpinestar goretex boots) has a bruise on top just above the outer three toes. The EG's extensive and heavy armor was a godsend in the crash. The extra-wide knee armor probably kept me from being injured much worse in that area during the initial impact, and the back protector absorbed most of the impact as I came down and rolled. My back was not even sore during this past week.

Very glad I was wearing this suit. I have a Aerostich R3 with a Bohn back protector that I wear a lot in spring/fall, and I speculate I would have been more sore after the same sort of crash wearing that. I also have a mostly retired, hottest-days-only, Olympia jacket/pants with inadequate knee armor, and I shudder to think what my kneecap would have looked like wearing it.
  13. 3Putt

3Putt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like BMW is killing the suit. It's on closeout on eBay and the euro sites have them discounted and current stock only.
  14. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still glad I have mine.
    SmittyBlackstone and toramorgan like this.
  15. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too.
  16. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Same here. So far so good.:thumbup
  17. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I luckily found mine for @45% off at a dealer in IL on a trip. With that, it was cheaper than a Rallye Suit.

I absolutely love the suit. Better protection than I have ever had in a suit and very versatile.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Not seeing these on a general closeout on eBay (besides usual small discounts offered by the random seller) or from any US sellers.
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to find one of these deals on a pair of pants to go with my new jacket :p.
    Sailorlite likes this.
  20. 3Putt

3Putt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW Jacksonville, BMW Sturgis, if you're willing to shop in Europe, BMW Bohling's price after the currency conversion is about $490 for pants shipped to the USA. If you go look for them, the price shown will be with 19% VAT. Login with a USA address and the VAT goes away.

6e9a5189-96d3-45a5-8055-dbedcac56a73.jpg