BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my riding group, two of us bought the Enduroguard. It was in a lapse time of 6 months between the first bought and the last one (me).

We ride more or less the same km per year (25000)... We both have leaking issues. At the same point (biceps area in arms, in the crown-jewels in pants).

The two suites are in the same dealer now, asking for a warranty claim. It's clear that leaking in the same point both suites is suspicious of a poor design, a membrane failure...

Let's see what's BMW answer, as this suite is discontinued. I've asked about a money back or a model change (StreetGuard for my girl), as I don't wanna have this issue again.
  2. 3Putt

3Putt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to see the ComfortShell II.
    RoundTrip, swimmer and SidewinderX like this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Similar cut and features as the original (limited number of pockets) perhaps with vents added to the sleeves and back. Even with just being mostly waterproof I would be a buyer.
  4. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have wanted also
    Softer neck collar
    Me neither
    I rode 8 hours in the rain in tropical Colombia in 90 plus heat and no leaks
    However by the end of the day I was soak of perspiration
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think anything would prevent you from sweating in 90+ tropical heat!
  6. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There were definitely a few things about the suit I would have done differently, but as stellar crash protection that is linerless, mostly waterproof and well vented, it was a pretty good attempt. My list of wants:
    • better color choice (blue, hi viz, etc)
    • get rid of the weird over-the-glove wrist design - aerostich figured the best wrist design out decades ago, so just copy them
    • ykk fully waterproof zips (like the aerostich r3) instead of current water-resistant ones
    • better vent "stays" (hold the vents fully opened)
    • overpant option (for commuting)
    SmittyBlackstone and Kmendez like this.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What makes this so special? It's the same basic expansion gusset + velcro that tons of jackets including leather ones have been using for ages. Unless that's your point.

The R3 is also using water resistant zips. Almost nobody in the market right now is actually using the 100% waterproof ones as far as I know (I'm aware of only one brand in Europe still using the Gore Lockout sliders, which were designed for drysuit use). When you have large flaps covering the zippers, the ones BMW chose should be just fine with the minimal pressure. Klim uses the better Vislon Aquaguards ones on the newer Badlands, because they've shifted away from covering the vents with a flap, so the water pressure is much higher.
  8. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Stadler uses Aquaseal (same applies to the Touratech Companero suits made by them).
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes two brands then, between them and Scott (who's still using Lockouts on two of their jackets). Neat! Although Stadler's jacket is about the same price as the entire EG suit.

Wish I had the $$s for their stuff, the fact it's available in custom sizing is awesome.
  10. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Which one? Their ProShell jackets are around 1000EUR AFAIK. They're pretty much in the same bracket as Klim, but the quality is better IMO.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Europe I don't doubt they're more competitive - but at 1k Eur/Pounds, after the exchange rate you're looking at quite a bit. It's pretty easy to get the entire EG suit in the US for that price (and I got my used jacket for $425). I think for the cost is no object crowd, Stadler is probably the best option though!
  12. Ashalina

Ashalina .

Oddometer:
    After two riding seasons in all types of weather I've found it to be the most versatile and comfortable suit I've owned. Lots of wet, lots of dry, lots of warm, lots of cold. I don't think it is possible to have a suit which truly does it all but for me this one comes the closest.

It is too bad some folks have had some problems with the suit. I'm not sure if those who have had problems are disproportional compared to other premium suits. It is not as if other suits don't have problems from time to time as well so it is hard to say if this gear has an inherent flaw(s) which are just waiting to appear like leaking or if some folks just have bad luck. Forums are places to praise and vent so having confidence in something being praise worthy or scorn worthy can be difficult.

For those who it has not worked out well for I'm sorry as it is a costly suit and that would be very frustrating to experience. I don't point out that I've had good luck to cast doubt on those who have not had good luck. I just share my experience hoping it helps those who are trying to decide if they want to take the plunge and buy the suit or run away to another option.
  13. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The internet has the tendency to escalate issues out of proportion.
    While there have been a few leaky suits, there is no actual number or percentage of those failed suits available in relation to total suits sold to conclude if the EG is either a failure or a great success.
    I am one of the peeps whose suit has been perfect thus far. YMMV
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  14. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a strange issue. Leaking is always in the biceps area and front of pants, so it's clear there's a membrane failure over there. My suite has performed perfectly under heavy rain for hours. And, suddenly, even a 1 minute light rain pass through the membrane. It's like the membrane pores are wide open. I've take care of my suite as if it was my children. Washing with Nikwax one time, drying in a vented place with no heat...

BTW, spanish dealers are selling only stock units, what means the suite is discontinued... What makes me think about BMW know the problem and stops selling it until it's solved.
  15. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you not exchange it?

The PU membrane doesn't open up into like, massive holes. Even at their "largest" point they should be too small for external water droplets to penetrate. The massive rear triceps area zipper, or a failure of seam taping, would be your most likely candidates for ingress.
  16. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to confound the leaking issue, last year I exchanged my leaking black EG jacket for a gray one, hoping that maybe a change of fabric would solve the problem. Some short test rides early this year were encouraging - no leaks. I'm not ready to conclude that this does solve the problem and am waiting for some
    good rain in SoCal to resume my testing. Maybe the earliest black EG's got a "bad batch" of fabric. Otherwise I like the jacket and hope I can count on it not to leak.
  17. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's at the dealer right now. But told me it will take one month or so...
  18. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re wrist: Most manufacturers screw it up by using wrist velcro as part of the loosening mechanism to put on or take off the jacket. The velcro should not cross the sleeve expander, it should only be used to adjust the size. On a stich/R3, once you adjust the wrist velcro for your wrist size, all you use is zippers to take the suit off. Its a much more crash-worthy design as well (similar on the legs: as per my crash above, the EG needed a more secure closure mechanism for the pants legs).

The main zipper in the R3 is waterproof. No more wet crotch. The places where they use resistant zippers instead are either on top of a waterproof backing (some pockets) or upside-down with a flap (armpit vents). The R3 is certified as a waterproof garment. If it leaks, RiderWearhouse will fix it.

I do like what Klim is doing lately, although the Adv models are baggy as heck, even more than a R3. Probably my next suit will be a Klim.
  19. slparry

slparry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I work for a motorrad retailer and we've had a staff purchase deal from head office that meant it was a no brainer ordering an EG jacket. Looking forward to trying it out :D
  20. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still think mine is the best suit I’ve ever owned!