BMW's new EnduroGuard suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sailorlite, Oct 28, 2016.

1. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's out of stock, selling last units at 50% off.

We have an answer from BMW: They never said that this suite is waterproof, so no warranty claims, no discount, no money back. If a single drop of water is enough to overstep the membrane, it's not their problem.

Now I have a beautiful 1300€ summer suite only for sunny days.
  2. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This does not sound right. Was this a response from the Motherland or did the dealer tell you. I would ask to speak to the zone rep and ask him to review the wonderful videos they produced showing the rainproof features of the suit.

A number of years ago this came up with the OEM panniers not being water tight. BMW dealers kept getting info that they where never guaranteed waterproof. I and a few others still had OEM literature where it indicated it was. BMW relented.

Be polite but be quietly relentless.
    Huckwheat and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was from BMW Ibérica (BMW Spain&Portugal). So we are planning to move directly to Germany. But, as far as I know, the typical response from Germany is "Speak with BMW-YOURCOUNTRY"
  4. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    Ya. Sorry about that. It is a bit different in the US. But I still recommend a very polite call to a Zone rep.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    From BMW's own literature:

Facts

• Cutting-edge, waterproof off-road riding jacket
    • Highly abrasion-resistant dynatec/dynatec Stretch outer with ceraspace protection technology; developed by BMW in partnership with Schoeller Textil AG
    • Three-layer laminate with BMW climate membrane; wind and waterproof, highly breathable
    • NP2 protectors at back, shoulders and elbows
    • Coccyx protector retrofittable Outstanding all-round air circulation thanks to numerous ventilation options; double front zip serves as AirVent system
    • Mesh lining in jacket and trousers, 3D mesh on the back; breathable and elastic
    • Eight jacket pockets, seven of them waterproof; men’s jacket with additional breast pocket
    • Sleeves can open wide, with wind protection in bad weather
    • Effective protection against wind and rain
    • Waterproof storm hood integrated into the collar
    • Velcro and press studs for adjusting fit in various places
    • Reflective print on jacket
    • Connector zip: 40 cm (all-round)
    • Comfort fit
  6. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    This is US literature for any that might find it useful.

PhotoScan.jpg
  7. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    Here is the same text for the Spanish market, published in the same document. Note that it says "impermeable" and not "resistente al agua".

PhotoScan1.jpg
  8. bestiaparda

bestiaparda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No more to say!!

This membrane is NOT waterproof, at least after one year of normal use, as many experiences have shown.

I suffered the same with a Streetguard 4...exactly the very same leaking on biceps and crotch. Very soft spring rain.....unbelievable!!
    Oeths likes this.
  9. NilesHenry

NilesHenry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My enduroGuard has 15,000 all weather touring miles on it and it, and my wife’s, has been waterproof. However, after hand washing woth the BMW Detergent, we also spray the suits with the BMW Functional Waterproof spray
  10. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I washed mine, once, with Nikwax. My friend dind't wash it at all.

But, remember that real problem with goretex membrane is that some soaps will make it loose its breathability, not waterproof... I mean, washing with no proper soap will make it less breathable, as long as pores will be totally closed with soap particles.
  11. RoundTrip

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable! You followed the instructions and it worked? How could that happen?
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Washing the item will still making 0 impact on the waterproof ness of an impermeable membrane. It’s entirely to promote vapor transpiration, as that cannot happen through a wetted out face fabric. Repeated reports of a lack of waterproof ness in the same areas suggest either poor seam taping at the fabric connection areas, faulty construction of the laminate, or some difference in water column rating (you can see that the contrast areas have a much lower % of polyurethane which is the material the c_change membrane is made of).

The newer Gore membranes (Pro/Active/Packlite etc) all have an inner layer of either fabric or a coating that eliminates the old problem of pore clogging.