BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    Sounds neat but is it just me or did the Dakar rule change eliminate the possibility of a major manufacturer developing a serious off road capable twin? If the rule change was a couple years earlier we may not have our wonderful KTM 950's!!!! the bmw quote talks about this that and the other but not a 950 spanker.
    Racing evolves most of the cool bikes out there, for any purpose other than slab monsters. The older dakar was THE single major influence on our Rally Twins.

Fun to watch it unfold though!
  2. SScratch

SScratch Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer:
    Did you miss the launch of the HP2?
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMWGS-800 Parallel Twin Enduro will be out at the same time the new ER-6 650 Parallel twin based Kawasaki KLX-650 ER-6 comes out.

Hold your breath and keep wishing!
  5. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Legion, that's a Touratech pimped F650Gs.
  6. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    both of those sounds like the ticket! :nod
    I'll take either with 10" of travel please. :deal
  7. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just found an interesting pic of an F800ST:

[​IMG]

I like it - I think an Adventure variant with long travel suspension, larger spoked wheels, chain drive, high fender, and abreviated fairing would look terrific. I'm not so sure about those panniers tho...? Look - it has a center stand! And that spin on oil filter is just asking for a skidplate. Damn I love those pipes!

John Davies
  8. U235Power

U235Power Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks awesome... Can't wait to see what they come up with for a F800GS... Could be a nice replacement for the V-Strom someday down the road.
  9. John E Davies

Oddometer:
  10. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Fixed :D
  11. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    That's a good looking bike. I like it a lot.
  12. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    I can't seem to see the bike. Can you guys see a bike there? Must be my eyesight is going.

Even if they don't do a GS version, that F800ST is going to be one great bike.
  13. Rustynutt

Rustynutt Xventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    Not bad

[​IMG]
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    F650 is 388lbs, and I can't see them using the new twin in a new adventure bike. The F650 weighs 175kgs, R1200GS 199kgs. That's only 24kgs for the new twin bike to play in, cause if it weighs more than the R12, what's the point?
  16. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    388 lbs ??? Yeah, right...

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=4>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right with="150"> </TD><TD> </TD><TD>[size=+3]F 650 Dakar[/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right width=150>
    [size=+2]Engine[/size]
    </TD><TD> </TD><TD vAlign=top>[size=+2]Engine[/size]</TD><TD width=175 rowSpan=3>[size=+1]<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>document.writeln(f650d);</SCRIPT>MSRP: $9,540 [/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Type</TD><TD width=50> </TD><TD>Water-cooled, 4-stroke single cylinder</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Bore x stroke</TD><TD> </TD><TD>3.94 x 3.27 in. (100.0 x 83.0 mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Displacement</TD><TD> </TD><TD>652 cc</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Valvetrain</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Double overhead camshaft, 4 valves per cylinder.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Horsepower</TD><TD> </TD><TD>50 bhp @ 6,500 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Torque</TD><TD> </TD><TD>44 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Compression</TD><TD> </TD><TD>11.5:1</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Fuel system</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Electronic fuel injection.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Ignition system</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Electronic ignition.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Engine management</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Bosch Motronic System (BMS).</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Emissions control</TD><TD> </TD><TD>3-way catalytic converter(open loop).</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Fuel capacity</TD><TD> </TD><TD>4.0 gallons including 0.7-gallon reserve(15.1/2.7 liters).</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Fuel Requirements</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Premium unleaded
    </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>
    [size=+2]Drivetrain[/size]​
    </TD><TD> </TD><TD>[size=+2]Drivetrain[/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Drive system</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Roller chain</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Gearbox</TD><TD> </TD><TD>5-speed manual.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Gear ratios</TD><TD> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=150>1st:</TD><TD>2.750:1</TD></TR><TR><TD width=150>2nd:</TD><TD>1.750:1</TD></TR><TR><TD width=150>3rd:</TD><TD>1.310:1</TD></TR><TR><TD width=150>4th:</TD><TD>1.050:1</TD></TR><TR><TD width=150>5th:</TD><TD>0.880:1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Clutch</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Multi-plate in oil bath.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Final drive</TD><TD> </TD><TD>2.940:1
    [size=+2]Suspension[/size]​
    </TD><TD> </TD><TD>[size=+2]Suspension[/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Front</TD><TD> </TD><TD>1.61 in.(41 mm) telescopic fork with stabilizer bridge. 8.3 in.(210 mm) of travel</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Rear</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Central spring/strut actuated by lever-linkage. spring setting and rebound damping continuously adjustable. 8.3 in.(210 mm) of travel.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Frame</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Bridge-type, square-section steel tube with bolt-on rear section.
    [size=+2]Brakes[/size]​
    </TD><TD> </TD><TD>[size=+2]Brakes[/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Front</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Single 11.8 in.(300mm) diameter rotor with twin-piston caliper.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Rear</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Single 9.45 in.(240mm) diameter rotor with single-piston caliper.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Actuation</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Hydraulic</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Anti-lock</TD><TD> </TD><TD>Optional. (Can be switched off.)
    [size=+2]Wheels/Tires[/size]​
    </TD><TD> </TD><TD>[size=+2]Wheels/Tires[/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Front wheel</TD><TD> </TD><TD>1.60 x 21 MT wire spokes. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Rear wheel</TD><TD> </TD><TD>3.00 x 17 wire spokes.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Front tire</TD><TD> </TD><TD>90/90x21 54 tube-type.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Rear tire</TD><TD> </TD><TD>130/80R-17 tube-type.
    [size=+2]Dimensions[/size]​
    </TD><TD> </TD><TD>[size=+2]Dimensions[/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Overall length</TD><TD> </TD><TD>85.6 in.(2175mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Overall width</TD><TD> </TD><TD>35.8 in.(910mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Wheelbase</TD><TD> </TD><TD>58.3 in.(1480mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Seat height</TD><TD> </TD><TD>34.3 in.(870mm) </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Ground clearance</TD><TD> </TD><TD>5.12 in.(130mm)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Dry weight</TD><TD></TD><TD>412 lb.(187kg)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Wet weight</TD><TD></TD><TD>441 lb.(200kg)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>GVWR</TD><TD> </TD><TD>834 lb.(378kg)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Top speed</TD><TD> </TD><TD>103 mph(166km/h)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  17. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    While visiting my dealer today to pick up that waterproof duffel bag BMW has ( anyone got one ? ) , we started talking about the F 800 whatever it is or will be. But I thought it interesting that BMW NA is sold out of the 2005 F 650 GS and has just announced a $ 1000.00 price reduction on new, 2006 F 650's. It's not normal marketing stategy to sell out a model year and go out and reduce cost of the new model year bike by a 1000 bucks....unless you wanted to move them out. Seems to me and the Service Mgr that if they can bring one in under $ 11,000, a baby GS could be in the future.
  18. John E Davies

Oddometer:
  19. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    I'd be a player for an 800cc adventure-sport-tourer. In fact, and I've said this many times before, there's nothing I've done on my 1150G that I couldn't have done on my SO's F650GS. So an 800 might be really just right for my needs.

BTW, Gezerbike, I recently spent three days working a BMW bike show display with some of their corporate guys. I asked and was told that the 650's price drop is intended to make room in the line-up (price-wise) for the upcoming 800s. Interestingly, people were all over the two 650GSs in the display (one, a Dakar) all three days. Lotsa questions, trial fitting, positive comments, etc. And fwiw, they're all sold out, around here at least.

Oh well, interesting times at BMW, that's for sure. I'm really looking forward to seeing what develops GS-wise with this new 800. Especially if it becomes available with the new conventional (unlinked and non-power assisted) ABS system that's debuting on the upcoming 1200S.

Great time to be a gearhead! :thumb
  20. biodegraded

biodegraded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they all come equiped with a polish and rag toting girl...