BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. pervasivelight

pervasivelight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't see the picture for some reason, but judging from reactions that's probably a good thing! :huh
  2. swolf

swolf swolf

Oddometer:
    Austin TX BUT just moved here 5y ago from CA
    I would go in for a set of wild at heart crash bars for the f800gs. Might even know 2 other guys who would want a set.

I live in Austin TX
  3. twuelfing

twuelfing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    its looking like texas as the domestic destination would be the way to go.

i just want to make sure we are all on the same page.
    I was quoted almost 400 to ship them to the US, then they need to be drop shipped to each persons house. The idea would be to take all the drop shipping costs and add that to the shipping out of south africa and divide that among everone. This way every person pays the same amount of shipping.

does anyone know a good way for us to communicate about setting up this purchase?
  4. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    Those are the offical BMW Adventure bags and BMW rack. Some dude on ukgser seems to be the first person in the world to get his! I'm personally leaning towards this option. I think the Jesse's look a little too "streamlined" and this rack looks great IMO.
  5. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    Depending on the final price I'd be interested. I'm near Charlotte.
  6. swolf

swolf swolf

Oddometer:
    Austin TX BUT just moved here 5y ago from CA
    I'm okay with that. If TX is the hub, I'll rap for others drop shipping minus a little something for the effort. If not TX as the hub, who ever gets stuck with the shipping detail should be lightly compensated - its a real PAIN!

Maybe a new thread!
  7. skyfish

skyfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's also an E8 torx for the gear shifter bolt.
  8. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    :shog
    Not Trax bags. Those are the BMW adventure cases. I like the look of these bags too and will be considering them if I end up purchasing an F800GS.

Does anyone know what the pricing is supposed to be on them?
  9. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I talked to one of the guys at Wild@Heart (Johan) and the "base" cost that I "think" we would be working with is roughly $370 USD plus the apportioned shipping has anybody heard any better numbers?.

I really love those bars, but ... mmmmmmmmmm I'm not sure I love them THAT much??? I'd like to though.................:clap

What do we think we'd be talking here???

Jim
  10. twuelfing

twuelfing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it all depends on how many bars can fit in a box. as soon as they break out into a second box we stop saving on shipping per set.

I was just quoted 370 for the bars and 370 for shipping.
    i can deal will some shipping but not 370 dollars.
    after we make a list of the quantity i will get them to get another price together.

if someone wants to start a new thread and post a link in here that would be great.
  11. pervasivelight

pervasivelight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so I learned something today...
    that funny feeling in the brakes when i go over potholes sometimes, yeah, that's the ABS kicking in (DUH!).
    I was running down Broadway through Times Square and got surprised by both a cab (filthy yellow bastards) and a quick red light. I grabbed both front & back brake and klunka klunka klunka the pedal & right brake got that 'special BMW ABS feeling'. sort of weird.

tonight on the way home, I realized my bike was getting a little dirty so I stopped by the (in)famous New York City Waterfalls to clean up. :evil

Attached Files:

12. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Hiya.....

I'm wondering if y'all can help a boy out. It seems that this thread has sprouted wings and is flying in directions that can't be predicted. A lot of different topics are being discussed that might be better served in their own thread.

I wonder if it's time to close this thing and have everyone create topic specific threads so that it's more efficient to find information .... and ignore the stuff that only a few folks are interested in.

An example: the effort to do a group buy for the Ozzie engine guards will likely find more exposure in it's own thread.

Just saying. Carry on.
  13. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I hope this isn't 205 but I was wondering why BMW didn't call the F800 the ADV version and make the F650 the standard 800. They could have given the 650 duel rotors up front and the same HP and simply called it the F800GS. I definitely would like to see this.
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
  15. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well, sure, but then that leaves no room for a $14K-$15K F800GS Adventure model. I can't imagine this won't happen in a year or two max. Especially since it would short circuit some of the aftermarket industry.

On a different subject, I'm kinda pissed off that the F650GS now suddenly can't be ordered without ABS in Mexico, so it's not $1000 more, it's over $2000 more than the US bike I'd like to buy (but can't). Talked to another dealer and they said the same thing - ABS only now. I bet 90% of the cost of ABS is in a legal fund for the times when it causes a crash rather than prevents one. I wouldn't mind if it added $250, but $1000 for a 2lbs add-on? Sheesh.

You guys should see what a V-Strom costs there though. Almost $10K for the 650, over $12K for the 1000.
  16. RobTheRigger

RobTheRigger Killing threads here since 2008

Oddometer:
    [quote='Flagger]Hiya.....

I'm wondering if y'all can help a boy out. It seems that this thread has sprouted wings and is flying in directions that can't be predicted. A lot of different topics are being discussed that might be better served in their own thread.

I wonder if it's time to close this thing and have everyone create topic specific threads so that it's more efficient to find information .... and ignore the stuff that only a few folks are interested in.

An example: the effort to do a group buy for the Ozzie engine guards will likely find more exposure in it's own thread.

Just saying. Carry on.[/quote]

Let's wait 'til it hits the million views mark.

-Rob
  17. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just can't imagine.
  18. Hipster-Dufus

Hipster-Dufus Swim the East River

Oddometer:
    I received the BMW AG confirmation # today!!:clap

Ironhorse has already sold eight and they just received a second manufacturing alotment of six, so mines in the system. Build date mid November and arrival date of mid January.

I have already mentally prepared myself for late February as there may be delays:wink:

I grabbed a price list of items I'll add on to the already loaded grey 800:

Handguards $121.95
    Large Hand Protector $41.50
    Engine Guard $272.95 (expensive, but it covers the cat)

Maybe the headlight protector $99.50

I'll add the SW Motech Bars myself and until I take a second mortgage out for the jesse's all suffice with some Wolfman duffals along with the denali tank bag I'll get.

So the wait is on...

tom

FWIW I sat on an 800GS with low seat and @ 5'10" and 30" inseam I was flat footed in dress shoes. What a beauty of a bike...
  19. twuelfing

twuelfing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    perhaps you will get my bike from them. I ordered it about 5 months ago and when they told me mid January I called other dealers and found out that plenty of other dealers had bikes already on the way that werent sold.
    I was number 7 in line.
    I was a little disappointed as when my salesman found out i wasnt getting a bike from him they became unresponsive.
    Ultimatly they seemed easy to work with and polite, but I dont understand the dropping off of communication as soon as they lost a sale. I mean they are several months behind every other dealer in recieving bikes.

by the way if you want to go riding around tucson after you get your bike let me know.
    I went up mount lemon yesterday and promply dropped the bike in a parking lot and broke the clutch lever, DOH. that was a 90 dollar mistake.

anyway good luck with the bike hopefully ironhorse is being conservative with the delivery times, if your in a hurry make some phone calls. A dealer in san diego called me 3 days ago to see if i wanted a bike they had on the way in a few weeks.

i think BMW is screwing ironhorse over on the shipments
  20. serguti

serguti serguti

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for my GS800 this month and want to see how much experience have BMW with this bike gathered during the maintenance periods.