1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The CAN-Bus linked socket only supports up to 5amps and requires that the ignition be on. Devices with a greater power draw will need an independent accessory socket. A good description is available in the f800.org site Hall of Wisdom.

I wired a Powerlet plug directly to the battery using a Batter Tender fused connector so it is always powered. You can see it to the right of the key in the photo below.
    I use it to run a tire pump and to charge things when the ignition is off. I plan to use it for heated clothing soon...

[​IMG]
  2. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Direct to the battery.
  3. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you have had a chance to compare this seat to the stock one for longer distance comfort?
  4. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Can I just re-do the OME plug and wire it up to the battery? I mean, if you really can't use it for anything over 5 amps, why not?

Cowboy2
  5. MightyZeus

MightyZeus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    santa rosa bmw motorcycles has two f800gs models available. the tank in the economy lead the buyers astray .. in case anyone is looking! one is dark metallic and loaded and the other is yellow and has pretty much everything but the anti theft alarm. probably not going to last long.

707 838 9100 x 2
  6. MightyZeus

MightyZeus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wait - now just the yeller one.
  7. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tri-Valley Moto in Livermore had one (Gray metallic version) that someone had bailed on when I was there last Saturday.
  8. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    ok so who the hell makes the rally seat?
  9. JakeCWU

JakeCWU The Notorious H.O.G.

Oddometer:
    It is with sincere apologies to my loyal fan base (I know who both of you are) that I announce that this will be my last new bike report. I imagine that the few of you who don't yet have your bikes will soon and are all out experiencing them yourselves rather than reading my drivel, but........PRETTY PICTURES!! YAY!

Part I: Any concerns about power, ppssht. Gone! At around 5k on the RPM's in 4th, I stopped looking at my speedo around 97 mph passing. On a double yellow. in the fog. on a curve. We all have our idiot moments. After I realized what I had just done (make an ass of myself), took a breath, and wiped myself, I thought: WOW!! It really does have a lot of power!

Part II: Comfort. Hand guards with spoilers and a new seat may be in order. Add a taller windscreen for freeway riding. I got a little buffeted at 70+ and after an hour on the super slab it got kinda old. The heated grips work well though. Over the pass it was around 35 per the OBC and only my indexers got really cold.

Part III: Off-road. DUDE!! Add some knobbies and you're ready to go. We didn't do anything real today, but got to play in the dirt, a little climb with a few ruts and dips and I was uber impressed. I'm sure the 800 is still a better option and this bike is no super MX'er, but it handles itself far better than I anticipated.

Part IV: Watch your gas cap. I would have sworn it was latched, but when I "leaned" it a bit onto the ground I found that I didn't.

I think that's it.

Here's the pretty pics:

With all of her friends
    [​IMG]
    On our way up:
    [​IMG]
    The first scratch :uhoh [​IMG]
    Any Northern Exposure fans?[​IMG]

G-
  10. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep--that musta been where I saw you, coming west out of Kingston. How many red F650GSs could there be in the area??? I was on my bumblebee F800GS.

I live in Seattle, Mt. Baker neighborhood. We should do what the Portland people are doing, have a meet-up. As soon as some more people get their bikes anyway!

Rob in Seattle
  11. JakeCWU

Oddometer:

I wondered if that was what I saw! Good looking machine. And I agree. Let's figure out a date and time and set it up. PM me with your thoughts. I'm a public employee so I never work.

G-
  12. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up the Rally seat the same day I picked up my bike, so except for the half hour demo ride I took a month ago I haven't ridden on the stock seat, so can't really compare. (Edit: Someone asked who makes the rally seat. It's a BMW-made accessory.)

I rode 500+ miles on the rally seat over the weekend, and my butt was sore, but due to circumstances this happens to be the longest ride I've done this year. So I can't say if my discomfort was the seat or just bein' out of riding shape. My experience with other seats suggests a little break-in time of both butt and seat are in order. I'll get back to ya after I get myself conditioned....:D

I will say the 1.5" greater height made a huge difference in the comfort of my legs (knees, specifically), and not sliding forward and down into the tank (as I did on my demo ride with the stock seat) made a big difference to the boys, as it were. :1drink

Rob in Seattle
  13. TreeFarmer

TreeFarmer Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :evil Fans Yeah! I loved that show. So well written. I think I know where my next weekend trip might take me. Thanks enjoy the new ride.
  14. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha I know all about the boys and the stock seat which is why I'm interested in this one.....:1drink thanks for the feedback, hope to hear more after you're seat-conditioned!
  15. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your ride!
    You were probably too excited to make sure the gas cap clicked to latch...:D gas it up and gooooooo......

Any thoughts on how the bike compared to the others on the ride?
  16. JakeCWU

Oddometer:
    Tough to say how much was bike vs. riding ability as all the guys I was with were pretty high level riders. Once I got onto my primary comfort zone (dirt) it kept up with no issues whatsoever, even on the battlewings. I think in the hands of a better street rider, it would have had no problems there either. Like I said in the original post, I hit right around 95-100 mph in a straight away without effort. The only real detraction I found was that at the top of the mountain passes I was quite a bit colder than the others due in large part to the lack of weather protection. I think this will be solved with some hand guards/spoilers and the taller windscreen. This evidenced itself again later when I did about 90 minutes of super slab. Pretty tiring. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the GS or the versys to really provide an expert opinion.

G-
  17. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MY 800 IS IN! Picking it up on Saturday. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't slated for delivery till January. BAM!

I'm so excited I can barely breath.
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Can barely spell either! :lol3

Sorry springfish, couldn't resist. I got the good word from my dealer in Medford today too. Picking up my 800 tomorrow at 1pm. :clap Looks like the Oregon truck came in, huh?

David
  19. springfish

springfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HA! Nothing new there, I'm probably the worst speller on the planet. In fact, a few years ago I had a brain fart and couldn't spell "of". Real story.

It seems like the BMW gods have smiled on Oregon indeed! My bike is ready for pick up TONIGHT, however I can't get to Salem till Saturday. I think it goes without saying that I feel like I've been kicked in the nuts.

2 more days. 2 more days. 2 more days.
  20. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    I've been there, too! I felt like such a complete idiot but for the life of me I could not seem to come up with how to spell it.

That's too funny!!:rofl